Where are the Christmas Beatles.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We generally dont get the Chrissy beetles till mid to late January here. So remains to be seen if there is a lack of them. We did get blessed with a wetter than normal November though. One thing thats theres lots more of this year is the bluebottles (blue ants ) actually a wasp. Got to steer clear of them buggers while walking around the yard without shoes, damn theyll bring a tear to your eye.
Feel for all those suffering the effects of the drought when its quite nice and green here at the moment.

Smoky bandit said:
As a kid christmas Beatles were everywhere.
First came the brown ones ,then about 2 weeks before Christmas day came the gold ones.
Last year we seen 1 brown one and this year we haven't seen a single Beatle, let alone a gold one .
Does anyone know what's happening with the good old golden Christmas Beatle. :(
Still got a week to go :)

1576667299_images.jpeg-85.jpg

100,000 xmas beetles turned up here last night , went out side for 10 minutes and got swarmed , picked 8 off my clothes when i got back inside .

So if anyones missing them at their house, i will post batches of 50 beetles just to spread the love :cool:

Smoky bandit said:
Ive read that they need eucalyptus leaves to lay their spawn in.
If the good ol Christmas Beatle is declining because of the decline in eucalyptus trees, What hope have the koalas got :N:
Simple answer is climate change . Just like the Christmas beetles have disappeared so have the butterflies and insects in general .

Dont believe the koala hype it cant be more than 10 years ago that in some areas they were considering a cull because the koala numbers were to high to be sustainable, from memory it was either in SA or Vic but maybe it was a island

Down around Lorne they are in plague proportions.
Koala's cannot be relocated due to their strict diet
and territorial instinct.
There is a snaking suspicion that some do gooders
have been doing that to tie up area's as a wilderness
area.
I did not say that...

Tathradj said:
area.
I did not say that...
Have you read the government definition of a wilderness area? Koalas dont get a mention.

I've see a few koalas over the years walking down the footpaths 15klms from Brisbane city.
...I live on a large acreage near Caboolture and have never seen one there. :(

How good is it that we are killing all the native wildlife. Chrissy beetles are lawn grub adults, so we are poisoning them. The cane toads eat them. Bug zappers zap them. I used to splatter them on the windscreen, but not anymore. Asian house geckos eat them. And yeah, climate change probably kills them somehow. Anyway guys, if we keep doing what we are doing then we will eventually kill everything. Merry Christmas. :(

Koala,s were suddenly "rediscovered " near here causing a huge area being
locked down within 2 years..

the whole area was logged out back in the early 1900"s taking out all the Koala"s.

Danny13 said:
Tathradj said:
area.
I did not say that...
Have you read the government definition of a wilderness area? Koalas dont get a mention.

Tathradj said:
Koala,s were suddenly "rediscovered " near here causing a huge area being
locked down within 2 years..

the whole area was logged out back in the early 1900"s taking out all the Koala"s.

Danny13 said:
Tathradj said:
area.
I did not say that...
Ah the trees grew back and the koalas moved back in . How huge was the area , Kakadu huge or your local garden variety conservation zone huge.

nucopia said:
They are staying hidden in protest for having their name changed to the more Politically correct" summer holiday Beatles"
:8

God seriously a wonder that has not been placed to parliament :p :lol:

aussiefarmer said:
Dont believe the koala hype it cant be more than 10 years ago that in some areas they were considering a cull because the koala numbers were to high to be sustainable, from memory it was either in SA or Vic but maybe it was a island

It was Kangaroo Island off of the SA coast.

Bred so much that the population was threatening the Native gum species forests on the Island,
large areas were tree killed zones, which in turn would cause wide starvation issues.

I was on the Island when this issue was hitting the news.

Greenies wanted them to be captured and sterilised, then let go, or captured and relocated to the mainland,
but not willing to pay the huge costs of that sort of project.
Ultimately they were culled back and trees recovered, population survived and healthy.

:)

Latest posts