Where are the Christmas Beatles.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoky bandit said:
Ive read that they need eucalyptus leaves to lay their spawn in.
If the good ol Christmas Beatle is declining because of the decline in eucalyptus trees, What hope have the koalas got :N:

None... There are no Koalas left after the bushfires... Nothing is left after these Fires and the bush will take years to recover and the wildlife longer... :/

LW...

Maybe there are a few factors, when I was a kid we were always swamped with bee's, beetles, crickets, spiders, birds and skinks.

Hardly anything is as diverse as it used to be.

Maybe there are a lot of missing food sources now, we had clover lawns then and would get bee stings, none of that now.
We watered lawns, little of that now.
Tree's with fruit in the yard, lots of blossoms, not many of those tree's now let alone yards. Where did the birds go ?
Nooks and crannies for bugs to hide and breed, find food, sterile sites around houses now Councils dont want it to be untidy.
Spray everything because there are aphids, caterpillars, moths, didnt worry us too much before just grow a bit more.
Lawns are treated if there is a sign of 'lawn beetle', wonder what has happened to them ?

Got ants inside ?, better treat them quick and get rid of them ! I go find a food source for them and leave it near their trail to find,
feed them outside and they dont come inside, like little pets they are, very very little pets. ;)

Used to find all sorts in the backyard including centipedes, have not seen a slater anywhere for many years, about 42 of them years.
No rotting wood pile or cardboard box on the damp shed floor, sometimes piles of newspapers on the back veranda that got wet
but were waiting for collection or dumping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlouse

Hmmmm...

Nature is not a sterile place, I think I prefer natures way more.

:)

Manpa said:
LoneWolf said:
Greenhornet_au said:
Me !!

The kids will love taking it for a walk.

Where do you put the collar on ?

:)

You don't put a collar on a snake, You have to use a harness... They can slip out of collars... :lol: :lol:

LW...

Slippery little suckers.

Is it toilet trained yet ?

So tired of putting the 3yr old outside twice a night for a wee.

Will you provide a harness with the snake or do I get one custom made ?

:lol:

Stop looking,I found them.
1576496186_image.jpg

Well said GH. I totally agree.
Nowdays many kids react to everything (asthma etc) when out doors - bought up in a sterile environment.
Mine grew up living in the bush, with animals, learning to swim in dams, finding bugs/lizards etc.
Two have now graduated as Environmental Scientists (God help me as an ex-Engineer).
Nature is definitely not a sterile place!

I believe I know where much of our native wildlife is going. It is being devoured by introduced pests mainly. Check your house and you will see cane toads at night eating anything and everything. Every house seems to have half a dozen and they need to eat something. Also, that bloody Asian Gecko that hangs around windows eating every beetle and moth attracted by the lights from inside. The introduced mice and rats eat anything that moves.

I remember in the early eighties a building that had massive outdoor lights, and every night there would be a million bugs attracted by the lights. Many would fall to the ground. Waiting for them was a dozen cane toads. The introduced pests have found where the bugs are to feast on.

There are other factors: the bug zappers, the chemicals sprayed on the lawns and plants, and other stuff when you actually think about it.

I remember having to clean the car windscreen all the time from splattered moths, butterflies, and whatever. The radiator needed the cleaning of butterflies and dragonflies to stop overheating. Haven't heard any beetle banging against a window at nighttime for years now.

Take me back to the sixties and seventies when life was better in so many ways.

Much of it is drought related.
Frogs are a classic example. I dug one up this morning while detecting. They are still there but just staying dormant until the conditions are right.
Same with the beetles probably, the grubs are dormant as the conditions are not right.

Kangaroos are clever when it comes to drought. I have to put down probably 10 or so a day that crows have taken the eyes out of and on checking the pouches of the Does, not one has a joey.

When not in drought, every single Doe will have a joey at some stage of growth.

Same as the garden snail.
As kids they were everywhere. And their trails could be seen all over the footpaths.
I havnt seen one in years.

Every house in town used to water their lawns causing a suburban rainforest teaming with life but now theres to many houses and people for the amount of water stored in dams.
If we reduced our population back to the 1980s levels, 1000 problems would be solved and we would be the lucky country once again.

Yep numbers are down, but we've had enough snails to start framing, stink bugs in the fruit trees, a few mozzies but very few ants and no golden orbs this year, only a couple of St Andrew's Cross Spiders, things is definitely mighty weird. But something's pollinating the custard apple...?

Latest posts