When you need a fix of fossicking

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse

Glen
Reaction score
Living at Taree, the "good gold fields" are a reasonable distance to get to when you factor in work and a kid in school.
So I had a look at some maps, age of rocks in the region and went and tried a spot no further than a 15 minute drive from home.

Went out for a look and a scratch expecting to find zip.
I found a bit of exposed bedrock on the back end of an inside bend and scraped off 3 pans of not so exciting recently deposited material.
No deeper than 3 inches of material...and damn ....3 specks.
I know it is bugger all in the big scheme of things....but....Is always nice when something shows up when you expect nothing.
Missus and I will go back out and expose some deeper material of older age and see what it holds.
Kinda excited that there is something maybe worth pursuing close to home.

The surpise specks :)
1422524765_brock_bar_3.jpg

Wow well done , i go to Harrington a lot and id often check maps looking for a close fossicking area to go to when the fishing was hopeless , i assumed Barrington Tops was the closest place. So good score to find a new spot so close by :)

There are a few deposits around near the Taree area. A few specks is pretty good going when you're not expecting anything.

westyjames said:
Flakes not flour!
Keep digging

Yeah, that is what made me go hmmm. This is interesting.
Sunday we are going back to dig a hole or two :)

Interesting post' a few years ago I found a post on another forum finding gold 20min from Shepparton, well now two years later Iv found a area very close to shepparton that is starting to show nice colour so on my way home from ELDORADO I stop for some test panning' that's the only hint you get.....

WOW, well done, you, But you need to get back there with a Plan, Keep going,

hope you strike bigger and better.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Interesting post' a few years ago I found a post on another forum finding gold 20min from Shepparton, well now two years later Iv found a area very close to shepparton that is starting to show nice colour so on my way home from ELDORADO I stop for some test panning' that's the only hint you get.....
Interesting. Nice to know there's still some hope around. Plunder it mate.

I went to a 'non gold bearing' area recently that showed geological promise... but no colour. You have inspired me to keep looking

Well done! :)

Latest posts