What's Your Favorite Tent?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homebrewer said:
I use those mats under my swag as well. Make it that little more comfortable.

I put my swag on a stretcher bed, gets you off the ground and was heaps more comfortable. You also get the advantage of being higher when putting on shoes and getting in and out of the swag is a bit easier being off the ground.

We have a couple of Jet Bunkers by Oztent. Bag has a very small footprint.
Used with a Roman deluxe moon mat very comfortable.
We use these for short stays and they are excellent.
There are cheaper ones out there which we looked at but the quality of the Oztent really stood out.
In this pic we 'seasoned' the canvas and were both dry as a bone.

1406866951_20130907_070001.jpg

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ltF23cJJs[/video]

Love it mate.. top marks for design and execution... Eyelets can be made anywhere on a poly tarp by scrunching up the tarp around a rock to fit ropes anyplace you like on it.. :)
Billy said:
axeman said:
I've had 3 types of tents, the cabin, tourer and rv5 oz tent. I don't know what my next tent will be, I like the Black Wolf 300 and the jet tent f-30x but the price is a bit out of my reach. I like cabin tents because of their vertical walls but they have too many poles. Tourer tents have the sloping walls which can be a pain. The rv5 oztent with it's steep sloping roof and back had it drawbacks but the lack of height wasn't a problem as I'm a short a$#&* anyway. I could get my bunk in facing front to back as well as my small table and chair. The cloths bag and tucker box went down the back. The one problem I found with the oztent is the midgey mesh they use, it makes the tent hot even with the fly.
So what's my next tent?, don't know, may get one custom made but until then I'll camp in the back of the ute.
:) Mick

Great info axeman! I am in the same boat re: next tent to get. Rooftop, tourer etc, the back of the ute works for me too! :cool:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1406798195_river_ute_camp_1.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1406798222_river_ute_camp_3.jpg

Packed up an compact! (Was only a 2 nighter!) limited only by imagination. :D

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1406798402_river_ute_camp_4.jpg

kawman said:
Love it mate.. top marks for design and execution... Eyelets can be made anywhere on a poly tarp by scrunching up the tarp around a rock to fit ropes anyplace you like on it.. :)
Billy said:
axeman said:
I've had 3 types of tents, the cabin, tourer and rv5 oz tent. I don't know what my next tent will be, I like the Black Wolf 300 and the jet tent f-30x but the price is a bit out of my reach. I like cabin tents because of their vertical walls but they have too many poles. Tourer tents have the sloping walls which can be a pain. The rv5 oztent with it's steep sloping roof and back had it drawbacks but the lack of height wasn't a problem as I'm a short a$#&* anyway. I could get my bunk in facing front to back as well as my small table and chair. The cloths bag and tucker box went down the back. The one problem I found with the oztent is the midgey mesh they use, it makes the tent hot even with the fly.
So what's my next tent?, don't know, may get one custom made but until then I'll camp in the back of the ute.

Great info axeman! I am in the same boat re: next tent to get. Rooftop, tourer etc, the back of the ute works for me too! :cool:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1406798195_river_ute_camp_1.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1406798222_river_ute_camp_3.jpg

Packed up an compact! (Was only a 2 nighter!) limited only by imagination. :D

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1406798402_river_ute_camp_4.jpg

kawman, the rock trick with the tarp is a cracker!
I have bought 8 of these:
1406932680_rhino_grips.jpg

RHINO Grip Heavy Duty Reusable Swivel Grommets Tarp Clip... (280768418137)
Have found them very handy for attaching another tarp to make a "wall" etc, and they grip tight and are easy to undo as well.
Cheers,
Billy.

thedigger said:
Aussie tents 30 seconds and they are up.

TheDigger

And then 20 minutes to peg the bloody thing out .But they are a great tent.
As I see it the only drawback is they are about 1800 long when packed up & quite heavy.

Bought a new "tent" today..... hope to pick up end of the week, cos I'm off camping in 2 weeks and it may be wet n cold without it........ :)

1411306232_jurgens_skygazer.jpg

Jurgens Skygazer, they are made in Victoria. I think they are a South African design.

Primarily made of composite polystyrene sandwich board (Alum on ply outside and polyvinyl on ply on the inside). AL-KO hitch and suspension. Full ensuite shower and toilet, microwave, air con and TV/DVD. All in a 18' van at a bit over 1,500kg Tare and 120kg ball.

I really shouldn't be roughing it like this at my age but, someone's gotta do it :)

Yes they do the vans quite well these days. I'm sure you will have a ball and keep the old bones warm in that unit.
What are you using as a heater or i suppose its a rev cycle air con.

Bloody nice van Condor, There's an another aussie mob that make caravans out of the sandwich board material. The cupboards, shower/toilet room, table all made out of the same stuff. You design your van and what you want inside and they laser cut it all out and glue it together. all wiring, plumbing is built into the wall. You get the choice of chassis and suspension. They are suppose to be a real lightweight van.

Here's my favorite when I'm traveling by bike. It's a lightweight Hennessy hammock or bivi/swag depending on abundance of trees.

Somewhere north of coober pedy way off the beaten track

15128489289_f816a565c2_c.jpg

15128703687_4d5e5d3db3_c.jpg

In the simpson desert
15292094976_eee29c288a_c.jpg

and copped a hammering in the flinders ranges coming back. Rain was so heavy I resorted to my makeshift bed pan in the middle of the night. Yep, the bottle in the pic contains exactly what it appears to.

15314949185_46719793c5_c.jpg

Jaros said:
Yes they do the vans quite well these days. I'm sure you will have a ball and keep the old bones warm in that unit.
What are you using as a heater or i suppose its a rev cycle air con.

It does have a rev cycle, but so did my old van, in which I had a diesel heater.

Looking at doing the same with the Jurgens.

A few years ago i went "retro" and bought an old fashioned canvas hike tent. Why? because i go snow camping and the apex tent sheds snow and rain way better than the flat roofed OzTent. The ridge pole is to support a fly which when the photo was taken i was measuring up to have made......

casper

1411376309_tent.jpg

I have the Oztent RV1 - it's brilliant and i use it for base camping. My first one got flattened in a High Country blizzard and the frame was bent and broken. Without hesitation Oztent exchanged it for new one - fantastic after sales service !!

casper

1411388718_oz-tent-6.jpg

This is my palace, a Jet Tent F30X. I'm 6'3'' and don't like bending over so this is about the only tent I can use with any degree of comfort. The awning, which is rolled up, extends out to the front and is also sufficiently high to stop me banging my head. The awning can be enclosed with the optional extension kit, which is also part of the arsenal.

The good thing about OzTent products is that despite being very expensive they don't leak and if something does break they will fix or replace it, usually for free.

As a side note, I am glad I am not the only one that takes a chamber pot (as per post 72, last photo) to bed. :8

ashhhhh said:
I've got the Oztent, RV4. They're awesome, real nice quality and easy to put up.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1255/1411378057_223093_10150166862927684_8252561_n.jpg

Great Photo Ash. Did you take it?

Oz tent is the best tent I have ever had. Did a month travelling western NSW , QLD, NT and finaly the Simpson Desert. Easy to set up and put away. Only problem I have with it is it's sixe when packed up. If you don't have a roof rack I suspect you are not supposed to have an Oz Tent, they won't fit in a boot or in the car.

Latest posts