What's Your Favorite Tent?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condor22 said:
mmm, Pull up with the caravan,
lock the car,
unlock the van,
pull a beer out of the fridge,
sit down on the lounge,
open the venetian blind,

and sit there watching the guys with tents in the rain putting them up. :p

Doesn't take much time, but there's no rush...............

That can't be right..the guys with tents were
The ones that over took you on the highway
And got to the spot first and as they finished
Pitching their tent Condor arrives handing out
Beers. The guys with the tents would then comment
Gee what took you... :D :D :D

We have an Oz Tent RV-5 for longer set ups and also a Southern Cross tent for quick weekend getaways.
Cant beat the Caravan though, pull up disconnect open beer. Love it !!

Wolfau said:
Billy where did you score that tent from?

G'Day Wolfau,
I bought it a few years ago now, at the camping shop in Dubbo, that has since been turned into a BCF.
Have never seen another one, but have been very happy with it. It came with a little kit of replacement parts and even squares of the mesh an fabric with a glue to do repairs if needed. I think from memory that I payed about $120 for it and it has proven to be worth every dollar then some. Haven't needed to dip into the repair kit yet either (touch wood).

Colmaca said:
condor22 said:
called a swag :lol:

Like sleeping in a coffin :D

They can feel like that!
Swags kept us alive in this tarp house we made over a June long weekend in the Orange (N.S.W.) area.
Over 3 inches of rain and a rather cold Southerly wind!
Love my swag!! :)
Bit sunny but cold in first picture!

1406371842_tarp_camp_3.jpg

Wet and cold outside in second pic!

1406371975_tarp_camp_1.jpg

Id have to agree the Oz tent range http://www.oztent.com/oztentrange would have to be the cream of the crop if you can afford them

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNNZJT4lc-k[/video]

RV5 with the options, obviously the videos show 30 seconds but with all the extras and tied down properly is more like half hour!

Fits on the roof rack, is a true 4WD camping tent and very hard to beat i've seen a lot of pro's with this tent and there is a reason why.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Coleman instant up 4 man tent. Upgrading soon to the 6 man just because there awsum!

Luke are these tents warm and do they keep the heat in.

I am only asking due to the flymesh up top which gets
Covered by a fly over.

Thanks

jimnyjerry said:

Great shot with the bull jimnyjerry!!!!

Would that happen to be an ecco 4 tent made by Primus? If it is, yours is the only other one I have seen!
I have found mine to be a good tent for the price, what about you? Are you happy with it?

Twapster said:
Id have to agree the Oz tent range http://www.oztent.com/oztentrange would have to be the cream of the crop if you can afford them

RV5 with the options, obviously the videos show 30 seconds but with all the extras and tied down properly is more like half hour!

Fits on the roof rack, is a true 4WD camping tent and very hard to beat i've seen a lot of pro's with this tent and there is a reason why.

I've been considering an Oztent RV5 for about six months and have checked them inside and out.

While there are a lot of pros there are a lot of cons also, don't get me wrong I was a big fan until I started investigating in depth:

- it's a big investment $$$ wise ( $1650 for an RV5 )in a tent but hopefully it will last a lifetime if well maintained;
- I first saw them at a 4wd exhibition in Brisbane and was surprised after seeing the videos like this one that you really don't get a lot of room in these tents, even the RV5. It's because of their tapered back section it reduces the overall area you have. I just want the tent not all the add ons. The RV5 from what I have seen of them would be good for two people and their gear at most which is all I am looking for;
- Many of the common stretcher beds won't fit inside lengthwise but will fit diagonally. I heard that Oztent do sell one that will fit lengthwise;
- You can't stand upright in them except at the door ( I'm 5'10" or roughly 180cm ) you have to stoop which is bad for a person with a bad back.
- A common fault reported is near the bottom zip area at the door the canvas tears over time;
- They are a lot heavier than you would think and you will need to grab both handles to carry these safely any distance; and
- There have been reports on the 4wd forums of these tents flipping over in high winds even when properly pegged out and consequently having their frames bent which renders the tent unusable. In each of these incidents Oztent has replaced the damaged tents under warranty.

Wolfau said:
Zuke_Lynzy said:
Coleman instant up 4 man tent. Upgrading soon to the 6 man just because there awsum!

Luke are these tents warm and do they keep the heat in.

I am only asking due to the flymesh up top which gets
Covered by a fly over.

Thanks

Yeah not too bad in the cold & wind' gets a bit of Jew build up on inside overnight if it's cold but most poly tents do.
Great in the rain! Iv tested it twice now :(
My current model is a 4 man with full lenght fly cost was $225 posted. We are looking at the 6 man now for just under $300 And my mate said he wants the 4 man so it will work out good, I'd suggest a 6 man as it only weighs about 2kg more and the little extra room for gear overnight is worth it.
The black wolf & oztent canvas ones are better quality but are heavy and pricey.

gcause said:
Twapster said:

I've been considering an Oztent RV5 for about six months and have checked them inside and out.

While there are a lot of pros there are a lot of cons also, don't get me wrong I was a big fan until I started investigating in depth:

- it's a big investment $$$ wise ( $1650 for an RV5 )in a tent but hopefully it will last a lifetime if well maintained;
- I first saw them at a 4wd exhibition in Brisbane and was surprised after seeing the videos like this one that you really don't get a lot of room in these tents, even the RV5. It's because of their tapered back section it reduces the overall area you have. I just want the tent not all the add ons. The RV5 from what I have seen of them would be good for two people and their gear at most which is all I am looking for;
- Many of the common stretcher beds won't fit inside lengthwise but will fit diagonally. I heard that Oztent do sell one that will fit lengthwise;
- You can't stand upright in them except at the door ( I'm 5'10" or roughly 180cm ) you have to stoop which is bad for a person with a bad back.
- A common fault reported is near the bottom zip area at the door the canvas tears over time;
- They are a lot heavier than you would think and you will need to grab both handles to carry these safely any distance; and
- There have been reports on the 4wd forums of these tents flipping over in high winds even when properly pegged out and consequently having their frames bent which renders the tent unusable. In each of these incidents Oztent has replaced the damaged tents under warranty.

Hey Gcause, some good insights there on the tent, id still have to rate it very well compared to most other tents. Price is the main killer. Its definitely a 2 person tent in my opinion. I've seen the add on which gives it some good standing room where you can be cooking, or sitting there watching a DVD in the comfort of your tent. I'm 6ft 1 and I didn't have to bend down which was part of why I liked the tent, but for sure that was the add on. Heard of people not tying down properly and being blown away! That would be scary.

The guys i've seen using these tents are pretty full on 4wd people, so must say something about the unit. Good to hear the negatives though you've obviously done your homework.

I have the OZtrail cabin tent 12x9, a little bulky to haul around but once its set up its as strong as a house and I know will keep me dry if it rains. I'm 6 4' and can even stand up straight in it, and plenty of room for all my gear.

1406507145_oztrail-cabin-12x9-canvas-cabin-tent-ctc-1209-d.jpg

Hi Billy,
Yes it is an Ecco 4 tent made by Primus which I picked up on special at a camping show years ago.
Very happy with it . :)
A great tent with plenty of room to stand up and easy to set up and pull down.
Fits a stretcher OK for a comfy sleep and more space under to store your gear.
Upgraded the pegs to stronger ones other than that the tent is perfect for long stays of about 5 weeks.

Billy said:
Colmaca said:
condor22 said:
called a swag :lol:

Like sleeping in a coffin :D

They can feel like that!
Swags kept us alive in this tarp house we made over a June long weekend in the Orange (N.S.W.) area.
Over 3 inches of rain and a rather cold Southerly wind!
Love my swag!! :)
Bit sunny but cold in first picture!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1406371842_tarp_camp_3.jpg
Wet and cold outside in second pic!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1406371975_tarp_camp_1.jpg

Now that's glamping! Seriously though that's an awesome tarp tent. I could see myself living in one of those a few weeks.

jimnyjerry said:
Hi Billy,
Yes it is an Ecco 4 tent made by Primus which I picked up on special at a camping show years ago.
Very happy with it . :)
A great tent with plenty of room to stand up and easy to set up and pull down.
Fits a stretcher OK for a comfy sleep and more space under to store your gear.
Upgraded the pegs to stronger ones other than that the tent is perfect for long stays of about 5 weeks.

Ditto to that jimnyjerry and also use stronger pegs.
Its great to see another one of these tents out there!

Latest posts