What is this?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenva

Jen Agramonte
Reaction score
Found this little item the first time using our metal detector. It was found just out of Dunolly vic, no idea what it is. Anyone have a clue what this could be, hubby and I quite like this little trinket, we hope it is our good luck piece to finding bigger and better things.
1440126247_zippy_pgl_and_relic_found_012.jpgsmall.jpg

Hello Treasureman. I think there is ivy on one side and grapes on the other. It appears to be hollow and I think it is suppose to connect into something by means of that little ball at the end. It is a curious little piece and I hope someone can tell me what it might be.

Aussiefarmer, hmm hard to say, the flat end appears to be smooth. We have thought it being all sorts of things from handles to something of a pistol.

I think it is moulded metal and it it very light to hold. It has been crushed at some stage, which you can see sort of in the second pic I posted.

Aussiefarmer, yes it is the food engravings that has put a spanner in the works. Others we have showed this too have wondered about it being a powder vessel, but grapes and Ivy?

it almost looks like the shape of an old pistol. the handle. a very old one.
maybe once was an ornament of an old pistol. but thats only a stab
1440130658_bv03435.png

treasureman said:
it almost looks like the shape of an old pistol. the handle. a very old one.
maybe once was an ornament of an old pistol. but thats only a stabhttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3793/1440130658_bv03435.png

I want to dig that! :)

nucopia said:
Could it also be the leg section of toy tin elephant ?

oohhhhhhh that could be very possible. Where this was found was known to have Chinese miners there, I wonder if it could have been a Chinese child's toy? That suggestion is the best yet because of the quality (or lack of) the metal. Now I shall go and see if I can hunt down some old images of toy elephants. Thank you Nucopia, and thanks to everyone else that has an idea about this little curiosity.

Latest posts