What is the biggest nugget you have detected ???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, as I'm yet to have found gold with my sd2000, I need some inspiration.
What is the biggest nugget you have detected and what year was it found in.

But 1st some ground rules.

1. It must be found by a detector.

2. How shallow or deep was it found in.

3. What detector was used.

4. And finally members should not ask specific locations of finds.

Photo's would be great but not compulsory.
I can't wait to be inspired.
Cheers Steve :D

Wow guys, the only gold I've found is on the radio.
I'm expecting to go out with the sd2000 tomorrow, so if I find anything it will be the biggest ever for me.
Its been about 12 months around the gold fields in the Ballarat region an I've found lot of iron and lead and a few coins so it must be my turn soon.
Thanks fir such a quick response.
Cheers Steve :D

Hi stoyve, My largest is the 251 Gram (8.1 Ounce) nugget that I have previously shown in the finds section. It was found using the 5000 with an 11" mono at around 60cm deep if memory serves me correctly :) Below is a new pic after I removed all the Ironstone, and a pic of it before.
1424750608_drg8ozcleaned.jpg

1424750608_drgmy8oz.jpg

It came out at exactly 8 Ounce (Troy) after cleaning :D
Cheers

That's an amazing find Oldfella,
I think I would of done a little dance if I found a nugget like that.
That pic has me foaming at the mouth.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers Steve

Thanks guys, I was very happy when I found it, couldn't believe it :D I don't show all of my gold finds on the forum for obvious reasons, but this one had to be shown due to its beauty :D

Unbelievable treasure seeker :eek:
And we Victorians reckon we get all the big ones.
Fantastic find and thanks mate.
Cheers Steve

Unlike the Oldfellas rock, my ONLY piece of Gold was a tiddler found during a Gold Prospecting Aust excursion last Oct. It tipped the scales at 0.31g but I cherish it as it is the only nugget I've found. My implement of mass detection is a Garrett ATX which did a pretty good job at detecting this "rock" at 3/4". [Camera lenses are wonderful things to tell "lies"
1424767349_dsc06421.jpg
]

Hey Tassie Daz,
Your way ahead of me mate,
I always love my days in the bush and I always expect to find a nugget, its only a matter of time till I do.
Until then I will just keep on cleaning it up.
Thanks for the pic TD.
Cheers Steve

13 Grams SD 2100, found in 1997, it was a very ugly nugget, initially when i found it thought it was a large piece of lead and stuck it in my pocket.
After 2 hours i caught up with my prospecting mate and he asked if i had found anything, my answer no just junk and a big piece of lead, pulled it
out of my pocket to show him and just a little gold was showing? I did have to soak it in acid for weeks as it was totally coated in ironstone.
Never was a real attractive bit but solid gold and my biggest to date. :cool:

Latest posts