What do I do

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have sold a small amount of gold recently. I sent it off with a tracking number and the receiver has not got his delivery. I went to my post office today with the tracking number and he said it was delivered and gave me a time and date. He also said he had the delivery guys name but obviously didnt give me that. My problem is that I dont want the guy on the other end to be out his gold but also am hesitant to send more gold in case of auspost error. What is the protocol. Regards Rick

Sorry to hear about your dilemma kemjak57.
I have often wondered what would happen if a parcel of gold was sent through the mail and was either lost or stolen.
I have just looked on the Australia Post website to see their stance on it.
You can pay to have extra cover for valuables up to $5000, but here's the kicker, they don't cover bullion.

Whats not eligible for compensation or Extra Cover?

Extra Cover payment or compensation is not available for loss or damage to any items youve sent with us:
1) where there is no proof of lodgement (for example, a postage or lodgement receipt or the tracking sticker found on certain prepaid satchels and envelopes);
2) which contain bank notes, bullion, or similar items;
3) which contain any items or dangerous goods that are prohibited from carriage either by Australia Post or by the postal service of the country you mail an international item to;
4) which were not adequately packed and packaged; or
5) where damage was not caused or contributed to by Australia Post.

Jackthehound said:
Sorry to hear about your dilemma kemjak57.
I have often wondered what would happen if a parcel of gold was sent through the mail and was either lost or stolen.
I have just looked on the Australia Post website to see their stance on it.
You can pay to have extra cover for valuables up to $5000, but here's the kicker, they don't cover bullion.

Whats not eligible for compensation or Extra Cover?

Extra Cover payment or compensation is not available for loss or damage to any items youve sent with us:
1) where there is no proof of lodgement (for example, a postage or lodgement receipt or the tracking sticker found on certain prepaid satchels and envelopes);
2) which contain bank notes, bullion, or similar items;
3) which contain any items or dangerous goods that are prohibited from carriage either by Australia Post or by the postal service of the country you mail an international item to;
4) which were not adequately packed and packaged; or
5) where damage was not caused or contributed to by Australia Post.
That nearly makes insurance a waste of time. :/ :mad:

I to am currently in a simailar position. I have sent an express post parcel containing a small amout of gold nuggets and after 7 weeks now it still hasnt arrived at the intended address. Its last tracked location was leaving Perth bound for Sydney
After 3 inquiries lodged with Austpost I keep on getting the same reply. They assure me that the parcel is delayed and will be delivered in due coarse and wait another 4 weeks and we will look further into it. On the 12 on this month it will be 2 months since I sent it.
I too didnt insure it but it it is declared lost I should be able to get the $100 compensation. I will make good on the gold and resend another lot to the buyer and ware the loss myself.
From now on, any package of nuggets that I sell valued at over $500 I will insure . I also take a photo of the package clearly showing the address and the tracking number so there can be no dispute as to where it is to be delivered.

kemjak57 said:
Well thats is pretty cool. I just got a message to say the gold turned up this afternoon. So much for express post. Took 10 days. :beer:

That is great, but the loop holes that they may use to not taking responsibility, of their service is very disappointing.

Solid Luck said:
Yeah, I reckon they are just too busy.
Takes ages and lots of rescources picking out a few watches for management. :argh:

Yes they are busy and also it is very easy to blame everything on the Winnie the Poo flu for any late deliveries.

Aus Post have a terrible attitude to missing items, their first recourse is to tell you that you should have insured it.

I had a pin pointer that was delivered to the house across the street from me and when I went to the local mail distribution centre to query my parcel as the sender had told me that it had already been delivered, the first thing I was asked "was it was insured".
The manager at the centre showed me a photo that the driver had taken as proof of delivery, the owners of the house had not seen any package, so that leaves either a casual thief or the delivery driver himself.

When the driver drops a parcel off they take a photo to show exactly where they placed the parcel and the camera also records the GPS location. In my case it showed the house opposite me so it was easy for me to wonder over and ask. Aus Post never did any follow ups despite saying they would and for an uninsured parcel the most they will compensate you is $50.00. And every time you ring them they usually use very warm and cuddly words to try an placate you.

Maybe insure It as jewellery, as it's not bullion. No good marking It as gold as it will disappear, guaranteed. I bought a used coil about 2 years ago. I asked the sender to put tracking on it, and my signature on delivery, which he did. It turned up a while later. The courier rang my doorbell, and, by the time I opened the door he was driving off, with the coil sitting on the verandah table. No notes to say there was no one home, and to pick it up at the post office, which they used to do. It had the certificate on it stating signature required on delivery. I rang the Post Office delivery centre to complain. They said the couriers were under a lot of pressure. He agreed that It should have been signed for. He said he would complain to the manager of the courier company who would chase it up with the delivery driver, then get back to me. Never heard from them ever. It has happened to my family as well. they'll probably use the Covid 19 excuse these days.

Is this FATE ?

I had a similar thing these last few days.
Handheld UHF radio purchased via Ebay supposed to be delivered to my home address. $47.00

Sent via AusPost delivery was attempted Sat - "No one home to take delivery" "card left to advise post office for pick up"

My kids saw a guy at the gate and told me, I headed out the door immediately, the dog was barking and I assumed that it was a guy checking out what items to steal.
I went through the gate and checked the street, we live on a corner there is a good view in 4 directions - nothing, no one and no cars. I was confused as it was about 30 seconds.
Did not even consider AusPost on Sat morning.

I checked the letterbox in case it was advertising. Nope.nothing in there.
Left me wondering.

On Monday I had an Ebay notice from the Seller that it was an attempted delivery.
In the past these go to the local Post Office in our street, 300m away, so I turned up and he had no packages for me.
But proceeded to explain the "weekend failed delivery process". I was astonished that there was a weekend delivery system.
He explained that the contracted courier can not keep the packages in his truck so they must be delivered to the nearest 'open' Post Office, his shop is closed on Sat and he told me where
it probably went, an 'open Sat' Post Office in another area. Also to call 131318 to locate it.
I called and after negotiating the robot finally spoke to a nice woman that took details and put things into slow motion of Aus Post investigation, because the 'tracking' had no data
as to where it went after 'attempted delivery', "but it should turn up soon" she told me confidently!

Of course my attention turned to phoning the Newsagent/Lotto/Auspost in the other area yesterday... the phone had a message "We are busy, call later" Seriously ??!!
After 4 calls through the day I gave up, and was heading there today !

Well this morning there was no change to Auspost tracking system for my item, then the day went to shit with a sick kid needing attention at school, asthma attack.
So I called the Newsagent Post office again and got thru :eek: , was told no they did not have it, I expressed that it was an Ebay item and it was 'delivered' to them, a bluff of sorts.
He took it more seriously but did not find it by tracking number, yet did by looking for my Ebay user name, he told me he got it only last night, but did not have time to scan it in.
( yeah sure )
An hour later it was scanned in, an hour after that I picked it up and he did not even get my signature or check my ID, as required.

I think I have discovered a loophole to oblivion for Auspost items - if the courier does not scan it when dropping off at the local Post office 'handover', and the Post Office does not scan it in for 10 days (10 days is the max they hold it for pickup, then send it back to the "Sender")
The item essentially is lost in the system, the Sender has no idea where it is, the Receiver has no idea where it is, and AusPost has no idea where it is.....
A Post Office employee could easily take possession of the item, never to be seen again !!
Not that it would ever happen.... :rolleyes:

Got to take my local Post Office a present, he is Lebanese, very focused on procedure to the point of being rude, but you know what you have got, if you understand my thoughts.

There used to be a similar loophole with SA Lotteries, cost us many 1000's of $ by staff abuse and Lotteries ignorance of a system failure that they were aware of, but did not want to change.

Glad your package eventually arrived to the buyer.

Latest posts