What are YOU doing right NOW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lost power to the house at13:00….
Cranked up the gen set it has been sitting for 6 years ….
Checked the oil topped up the fuel it fire on the second pull…
It is running the fridges and the tv and will be doing so till about 17:30 when the power is supposed to be back on…..
First time I’ve ever run it ….
They are a Good little Genny, I am going to get the 1100/1200w version early next year. 👍

Yes agree, will end up with gluey gunk in carby if left too long as fuel slowly evaporates and leaves residue behind. Talking from experience gained the hard way.
I added some product from the auto store, seems to keep the fuel from turning to thinners....
Cant find what it is right now, but it goes in the Honda Genset, the mower, every petrol thing we have!!

I added some product from the auto store, seems to keep the fuel from turning to thinners....
Cant find what it is right now, but it goes in the Honda Genset, the mower, every petrol thing we have!!
I've left fuel in tanks for over 12 months exposed to the elements and fired up on the 2nd pull (Kawasaki 6hp, Honda 5hp, 13hp etc) been operating this way for 15 years 😅 However this year the Kawasaki motor on the hydraulic splitter clagged up the needle and spat the dummy 🥴 I reckon its got something to do with climate change 😅 Nothing a carby kit or a good clean won't fix 🍻

That said emptying tanks for extended periods of storage is the way to go. I'm just time poor and don't worry about having to do a bit of maintenance here and there, at times it works to my advantage just not this year 🍻

Yeah RM. this stuff I put in the petrol motors, you just pull the cord till it gets through the carby...
Dunno, haven't started the Honda this year yet?!

Yeah RM. this stuff I put in the petrol motors, you just pull the cord till it gets through the carby...
Dunno, haven't started the Honda this year yet?!
Just call it rocket fuel Simmo 😅

I only run my small engines on premium (98) fuel, minimal maintenance and hassle free operation so far 👍

Yeah mate, I'm an AEG convert for now!
Register your gear online and get more warranty, 5 years in some cases.
Batteries, yup been through a few and you are right, they don't get the extended warranty.
I think usage might be the key mate, use the buggers or they get lazy and die??
I've had two go now, but I think I would have had them in the 'rotation' about 2 years?
Cant really complain?

I think the AEG battery problem is the temperature. Right from new they cut out from over-temperature and cannot be recharged until the day cools off. If you don't have enough batteries you simply can't get a job done. I've had AEG electrical tools since the 70's and some of them are still going but the battery power is a big letdown. The machines are fine if you can keep the power up to them. I've been considering changing everything to Milwaukie because unlike AEG they guarantee their batteries. I do a lot of my work now with corded electrical tools.

FUEL CONDITIONER
I went through the HMMWV military workshop in Detroit or perhaps Southbend Indiana, I can't remember now but the most important thing I picked up was their favoured fuel conditioner. Usually used in diesels but also suitable for gasoline engines. They recommended I train our Australasian mechanics to use Dextron. That's regular automatic transmission oil. It does amazing things to diesels that are running poorly due to carbon buildup and sticky or fouled injectors. I've fixed many engines that were due for an injector overhaul by sharing a litre of Dextron over several full tanks of fuel. In the worst cases you can take an intake fuel line off and have it draw Dextron directly from the bottle. For a petrol engine it's best to find an intake manifold vacuum hose and have it draw the Dextron from the bottle while its running and then add some to the tank to clean the injectors. I don't know whether it will extend the life of old petrol or not.

I think the AEG battery problem is the temperature. Right from new they cut out from over-temperature and cannot be recharged until the day cools off. If you don't have enough batteries you simply can't get a job done. I've had AEG electrical tools since the 70's and some of them are still going but the battery power is a big letdown. The machines are fine if you can keep the power up to them. I've been considering changing everything to Milwaukie because unlike AEG they guarantee their batteries. I do a lot of my work now with corded electrical tools.

FUEL CONDITIONER
I went through the HMMWV military workshop in Detroit or perhaps Southbend Indiana, I can't remember now but the most important thing I picked up was their favoured fuel conditioner. Usually used in diesels but also suitable for gasoline engines. They recommended I train our Australasian mechanics to use Dextron. That's regular automatic transmission oil. It does amazing things to diesels that are running poorly due to carbon buildup and sticky or fouled injectors. I've fixed many engines that were due for an injector overhaul by sharing a litre of Dextron over several full tanks of fuel. In the worst cases you can take an intake fuel line off and have it draw Dextron directly from the bottle. For a petrol engine it's best to find an intake manifold vacuum hose and have it draw the Dextron from the bottle while its running and then add some to the tank to clean the injectors. I don't know whether it will extend the life of old petrol or not.
You won't regret changing to Milwaukee for one second 👍I tell people if it ain't red it ain't in the shed 🍻 the best money you'll ever spend imo.

I was able to chisel out the damaged wood on the rear of the chest to the right shape and size to alliw me to glue in the new piece of wood but unfortunately i also found that the wood had been repaired in the past . while i was trying to be careful i still managed to dislodged some of the old repair which has left me with yet another area of scared wood to fix 😫
C9C7AC59-9D1F-465B-A6D4-397DCDFAAD44.jpeg
E54ECE39-FA2F-4213-813C-34CA508BB7F0.jpeg

Last edited:
I was able to chisel out the damaged wood on the rear of the chest to the right shape and size to alliw me to glue in the new piece of wood but unfortunately i also found that the wood had been repaired in the past . while i was trying to be careful i still managed to dislodged some of the old repair which has left me with yet another area of scared wood to fix 😫
View attachment 6554
View attachment 6555
You'll get there mate 👍 once finished I'm sure it will look fantastic and give you great pleasure 👌

Scarfed in both of the hinge resets this morning.
Small insert
229AEBD0-37B3-4661-A7BD-2DBC1E9AE32A.jpeg
Larger repair is looking ok still a little bit of work to do before its finished , glue needs to cure before shaping ..
8CE36A19-ADC4-4AAE-AE91-B98B47FDF350.jpeg
While the glue sets i spent the afternoon at the clay target shooting range trying to hit the clay pidgins
D582B14C-A140-4554-B89A-CC9C6E68386B.jpeg

Last edited:
Years ago my then brother in law took me to the Gympie Clay Target Club, I think that's what it was called, to do some shooting, I was a dead eye dick as a kid with my Jakarta 16 slug gun but I hadn't done much shooting in my adult years and I told him that, 8 out of 10 hits and said "Ya lian bastard" 2 out of 10 hits at my next attempt and he said "Ya did pretty good for your first time"😂

I bought 2 tokens that gives you 50 clay targets Murrey in the office said you’ll need 3 boxes of ammo 😲and hands those to me points me up the path and says go up there to Rick an ask him to show you what you need to do , 5 minites later Im standing abreast of 5 other shooters waiting my turn to call PULL!
I hadnt fired a shot gun in probaly 30 years and never shot clay targets before .. i missed the first 8 or so all the while Rick is behind me handing me shells and giveing me pointers in what im doing wrong and tips on what to do right .. I hit 4 in a row after that had 3 more misses called pull and didn’t shoot because I totally lost the clay mid flight and i think i hit 1 or 2 more out of the last lot of clays .. shoulder was getting sore took a rest and watched some young teenagers shooting Olympc trap and nailing almost everything thing they aimed at 🙀
I’m going back again next week to try and hit more targets.. took home a box and a half of shells a token and a sore should
But it was a fun afternoon and I had a great time ..😁

View attachment 6554
View attachment 6555

Sometimes it works out better to take a long strip out so that the join goes with the grain.

Sometimes it works out better to take a long strip out so that the join goes with the grain.
You’re probably right Phil
Im going slow taking my time and learning as i go.. fortunately I have a next door neighbour that has a lot of experience in wood working to help when I need help..He gave me a scrap piece of the same wood species as the chest to use for the scarfs ,its not a perfect match but the characteristics of the woods match each other . Putting in the scarfs is not the perfect solutions but its an acceptable compramise to replacing the entire piece of wood which i dont think i could do with out dismantling the chest and making more damage.
The other thing is that the repairs are at the back of the chest under the lid where the hinges will be placed and hopefully that will help obscure the new wood.

Last edited:

Latest posts