Wet Prospecting Shovels - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dirtyharry,Hi.. in my experience its kind of horses for courses.. no one shovel is wrong or right...but.. a long handle is a must. Shorthandles are ok for confined spaces ..like when your scatching around a river oak rootball or a deep hole..but.. even then a square mouth is always going to put you at a disadvantage unless your working with loose river gravel over flat bedrock...which is rarely the case. the square mouth can be useful however when your shoveling from a barrow to your highbanker but the plumbers shovel ,or the post hole shovel are the ideal type. i personally have used my "square mouth Posthole " ..long handle (not the same one) for about 30years now.
the ( "square mouth" posthole shovel is not exactly square..you'll find that they are slighly rounded on the mouth ends..and..this makes a world of difference in the way it performs across a vast range of conditions. That said the (PLUMBERS SHOVEL) is very good as well.
The key to shovelling for long periods is to keep your back as staight as possible at all times and learn to use your knee against your lower hand hold to give added power in driving the shovel into you workings..it takes a little practice but is well worth the effort for it will make things so much easier for you AND your back.
Also never just throw your shovel to one side after each stoppage..drive it into the ground nearby so as you don't have to bend over to pick it up.. and save wear and tear on your handle, over the years you'll grab for your shovel ..like 3000.000 times :cool: and if its laying down,well thats a lot of wear and tear on ya back..also in clayey ground, keep a bucket of water on hand, and keep the mouth of your shovel wet..you'll find the blade will slip in easier ;) and you can dig it out in good sized clods. Using a pick and shovel is (believe it or not) an art in itself and a good exponent of that art is rarely sighted these days..keep your (wooden handles-both shovels and picks etc free from splinters and dints etc with a good sanding now and then AND REGULARLY APPLY a wood oil..linseed oil is what i've used for like ..forever.
Finally, get yourself a 'COPING TROWEL" AND A STIFF BRUSH AND PAN SET..for crevicing and those little hard to get to jobsany how everyone might have an opion on this but i hope this helps you to some degree..cheers ROSSCO

Agree with all of the above.
I use one of these as well, and its incredible the difference it makes!
Well made too and you may find you put one on every handle you can find after using them.
No affiliation but can recommend them.

http://www.ezimate.com.au/

Cheers,
Billy.

Billy said:
Agree with all of the above.
I use one of these as well, and its incredible the difference it makes!
Well made too and you may find you put one on every handle you can find after using them.
No affiliation but can recommend them.

http://www.ezimate.com.au/

Cheers,
Billy.

Thanks Billy,
That ezimate would come in handy when feeding the dry blower from mullock heaps....might have to get one ;)

So does the ezimate work good?

My left wrist is near screewed from lifting the shovel out of the ground when it's been shoved down deep, looks like it could really change the angle the wrist is on!

May need to get a few

Thanks for the advice
I knew digging in gravel should not be that hard
I will be off to get a new shovel & get the handle attachment on the net

Regards

Dirty Harry

1434240809_image.jpg

It's a ripper !

c'mon fellas! what youse all reckon 'bout me "TRUPER".FEED BACK!...I..I.. SAY FEED-BACK.BOY!

Nah it's No good. :( ... Label says it's for Planting Shrubs and Trees....no good for digging holes with Nuggets in them.... :p :lol:

And Being a Multi Shovel dose it have another shovel on the other end? :lol:

LoneWolf

HA!...IT DOES EVERYTHING...INSIDE THE HANDLE IS A GOLD SPECIFIC DETECTOR!....hehe. and those foot guards...morph into super powerful pogo springs! :p for quick getaways from rangers :cool:

Looks like it'll make a reasonable camping shovel for around the fire and 4x4 duties. What's the steel quality like?
Where from and how much?

their also excellent for gravels and general gold digging duties ;) the quality of the steel is.. excellent... their made in Mexico..hence my outburst'HENCH AN MEXICO' :cool: and are fitted with an American ash handle..as an old baseballer, i can tell you the ash is the best!(IMO)timber you can put on a handle for anything! :cool: and their 14.95 :eek: fromBunnings!...CHEERS!Rossco

Saw that in my news feed. Pretty cool and talented. Gets a bit monotonous but where else do you go wit a shovel!!
The lads got rhythm.

GT :)

Mesmerizing for me, thought she was hot.
umm oops the performance of course not the performer.

Latest posts