Wet Prospecting Shovels - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spot on cyclone do make a good handle my old man was a bricki hes still got hes old cyclone of about 15 years. its warn right donw but uses it to mix cement in a barrow

Make your wooden handle last much longer by giving it a little tlc. They nearly always break where they go into the spade or shovel head.
Why?
Because it gets wet constantly and then dries out. Just like an old wooden boat.
The wood loses any residual moisture and then becomes brittle.
My shovels last up to 5 years. I usually wear out the steel part first.
I use a 50/50 mix of gum turpentine (not mineral turps) and boiled linseed oil.
Its just like the old days when you bought a new cricket bat. You had to oil it regularly or it would split.
I lightly sand the handle when I bring the new shovel home then over the next week I oil it twice a day, using a rag soaked in the oil/turps solution. I very lightly sand the handle between each coat with 400 grit wet and dry paper.
After the final coat lightly sand it again then let it sit in the corner for another week.
When you use it for the first time you will be amazed at how smooth the handle is, and it will last much much longer.
And I agree with golddig, the cyclone is a good one to use. The wood in the handle is a much better quality than most.

I have these two shovels from Bunnings plus a digging tool. The first shovel (True Temper) is a good solid shovel but it rusted pretty quickly when the paint scratched off.
The second one (Kelso) is a great light strong one but hasnt had much use yet. The Kelso has a big bent bit on top of the blade to put your foot on. They both have 25 yr warranties so you really cant go wrong. The third link is a small heavy duty digging tool that works great to break up hard ground and rake big rocks out of the hole. Check them out. Also have numerous smaller spades (one army fold up trenching pick shovel) to dig and feed sluice.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/true-temper-plumbers-shovel_p3360637
http://www.bunnings.com.au/kelso-plumbers-shovel-with-powerstep_p3360589
http://www.bunnings.com.au/hart-planter-hole-with-fibreglass-handle_p3360535

Well hope this helps.

Cracka

Broke a shovel yesterday digging out the stump of a tree. Said tree & fence were totalled by another big tree while I was at Elderodo, wife forgot to mention it because SES had made it safe.

So now is the opportunity to get something better, a Rigid has too much head for me, tried my son's plumbing shovel.
Any suggestions re the shovel appreciated, thanks.

Barry

Was in Bunnings the other day and saw something called a Super Shovel out in their garden section.

It is a round headed shovel with deep angled sides to it.

Its supposed to combine the best characteristics of a round headed shovel with a square one.

Looked like it would shift a lot of material. Variety of size handles to choose from.

I just bought a new shovel so it was a bit late otherwise I would have bought it, still tempted though. :p

Might be worth a look.

Cheers,

Grant

yep gcause, hav two of them shovels... have moved some huge rocks with them without lookin like breaking them..
they do hold more material though so can be heavier to lift but does increase production. also i hav found with the higher sides that the material stays on shovel better. ..
At $35 i think it was they are a bargain.. :D

cheers Tim

gcause said:
Was in Bunnings the other day and saw something called a Super Shovel out in their garden section.

It is a round headed shovel with deep angled sides to it.

Its supposed to combine the best characteristics of a round headed shovel with a square one.

Looked like it would shift a lot of material. Variety of size handles to choose from.

I just bought a new shovel so it was a bit late otherwise I would have bought it, still tempted though. :p

Might be worth a look.

Cheers,

Grant

I saw the same shovel and liked it until I lifted it up. Damn, it's heavy.

I use the Kelso plumbers shovel.. Even after breaking the handle and replacing it with the wooden bunnings handle it's still my favourite digger

Can't beat a long handle post hole shovel, I think they are better for the back and loaded up they are still a good weight. They make a good general purpose shovel.
Cheers, DD

the duck, they look more like weapons than shovels. Nice tools but a bit expensive ATM. thanks.

I'll have a look, thankyou.

I was wondering what is the most popular type of shovel to use for larger stream gravel
I have been using a square mouthed csovel & find it can be difficult to begin digging
Perhaps a pointed end shovel might be better

Interested to here your thoughts

Regards

Dirty Harry

Pointed for sure! I actually went home yesterday after I got to the creek to get my pointed because I only had my big square end.

Thin square can be ok. But in streem, or more then a foot deep of dirt/gravel pointed is the go.

I use a trenching spade/shovel u can't overload your back ,it's pointed for hard to get to bits ,flat for along the clay line ,the neck is strong and it's got a good angle for pick up .what would make it even better is a bit welded to the place u put your foot .

The last one I bought was a spear and Jackson pointy nose. Good balance haven't broken it yet and I'm hard on shovels. There's value in it at the price.

Latest posts