Wet Prospecting Shovels - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i watched a few other videos of his on youtube and brought myself a couple of his albums on the strength of it.

good driving music for starters , music helps relieve the monotony of those 5 - 7 hour drives.

I've never seen a shovel fail in this way. Usually the handles go when you are inappropriately using the shovel as a crow bar to move big rocks.

I've had this shovel since 2011, and it's had a lot of use. By the way, wooden handles are more durable than fiberglass handles.

Still, I have a spare in the shed, that I've been throwing into the back of the ute for years just in case. There is nothing worse than shovel failure on the creek when many hours from home.

1582522773_fb_img_1582522116510.jpg

Look for any sign of long term rust within the fracture which would point to a stress fracture when the tang was rolled, this may also show as a different grain pattern or colour as well.

shovels & a lot of other mundane implements are made with recycled steel (most often not in Aust.), where the steel is of a poor quality due to contaminants & steel alloys all thrown in, & the result is a steel that can go brittle with use (fatigue), & can have manufacturing flaws included.
Some time ago new laws were introduced to stop recycled steel being used in structural steel & critical industrial applications (piping etc).
Importers must be able to produce data sheets/test certificates for this.
But meantime we still get crap products like your shovel.

Latest posts