Separating Gold from Black Sands.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Panning is above all the most critical part of prospecting. It is the end process of your day long quest, and as a prospector you must know how to finish off your clean up pans. Over the years I have shown so many people the art of finishing most picked it up very well but then there were others no matter how hard they tried just could not master the art. Some prospectors are under the impression that when panning you must be fast and the clean-up must be done in a flash, not so. Been fast at panning does not make you good with a pan at clean-up time.. It really does not matter how long it takes you to pan a dish or do your clean up what does matter is that you do it right, after panning for a time speed will come naturally. Over the years I have posted a lot on this subject on other forums. But let us first look at gold pans. There are so many gold pans on the market today it is so hard to find the one that is right.

The Tin dish. This pan is made of tin and will hold its blue it is light and very easy to use.

The mild Steal pan. Very much like the tin dish, but the mild steal pan will not hold its blue and weighs a bit more than the tin dish but is easy to use.

The Fibreglass range of pans are good. But there is a problem with fibreglass pans. That is they will chip easily if big rocks are dropped into them. And if you accidentally drop them the pan it will more than likely break or chip. The weight is another factor most are heavy. This is what I have been told I have never used a fibreglass pan nor do I want too. I can only go on what I have been told by people who have been in the game a long, long time.

The Plastic range of pans on the market today is very good. These pans are light weight low maintenance and very easy to use. But they must be seasoned before using them in earnest. To season a plastic pan you can rub them over with a bit of very fin wet and dry sandpaper or use them for a day out in the field as a sampling pan. I find the sand paper trick is the way to go. As with the Fibreglass and Plastic pans you must give them a wash out with biodegradable dishwashing liquid to remove any oils or grease which may be in the pan. Heat will also effect a plastic pan and care must be taken with the pan. But when the plastic pan starts to whiten after a lot of use. You can bring back the colour by heating them with a gas gun. But you must be careful when doing this or you will melt the pan, if you apply to much heat at once. {see below photos}

When the plastic pan starts to whiten.

1_zpsmfsjqpuk.jpg

You can bring back the colour by heating them with a gas gun.

2_zpsq84dvpnh.jpg

The leading range of pans on the market today is the Garret range. They are the most used in the field today by prospectors, and the Garret Super Sluice the most popular out of that range.

I have NOT used the turbo pan and likes so I cant make comment on them sorry.

What I look for in a pan.

I use two types of pan the Garret Super Sluice for finishing off and a cheap black or blue plastic pan for general sampling and at times finishing off. Before each trip I wash and clean all my equipment including the pans with biodegradable soap to remove any oils.
When the time comes to replace a pan, say I am going to replace my finishing pan this is what I look for. A colour which will make the gold and black sands stand out, green or blue are the best for this. I then need a pan with a wide bottom which makes the separation of the gold and black sand so much more easier. The narrow bottom pans will drive you nuts, when you try to separate. And if you are using a black pan forget it the gold will stand out but the black sand will be hidden. A lot of this I have already posted in this thread which also contains some exultant information.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14320

First and foremost you must know the art of how to use a gold pan which will take a bit of practice. To separate gold from the black sands you must have a wide bottom pan the narrow bottom pans retard your swirling motion. I need to take a step back and explain the swirling motion which will remove the black sand from your gold concentrate at clean up time. Here is what you do and it is very hard to explain more so than what it is to show. You need to gently run just over a cup full of water around either side of a Garrett super sluice pan or similar. The water must meet in the middle and on top of the wash then fall back down over it pulling black sands with it to the end of the pan against your body you will start to get a build-up of black sands at that end. You then wash the black sand build up off into your second pan.

1%20Copy_zps7qbvzivl.jpg

Then repeat working any visible gold back into the blacks as you go.

2%20Copy_zps1gllxdyj.jpg

Until you have nothing but gold left. Keep the concentrate in the second pan for reprocessing at a later time. It is much better to be shown the back wash style, but alas not many know how to do this so if ever you get a chance to be shown take the time and learn the trick it will save you so much time. The main point to remember while doing this is not to be in too big of a rush, take your time. Develop your own style do not try and pan fast this will bring you undone in no time flat. Also remember new pans more so the plastic ones will need to be broken in this may take a day of panning to get the desired effect on the surface of the pan. A pan also needs to be washed out with biodegradable detergent to remove the oils this has been talked about.

A lot of people take the black sands home so they can sort them at their leisure; I have been told it saves valuable time in the field. There is nothing wrong with that idea except that 9 out of 10 times they never get done due to one reason or other. Or you may face the chance of your concentrate been split, dropped or some of them been used in a flower potting mix {by the wife lol been there} is very high. Youre much better completing the task out in the field. When panning your concentrate from your unit you should do it with clean water with a drop of biodegradable detergent in the water to break the surface tension and you must also use two pans for this job. No matter how good at panning you are there is always a bit of gold that will slip past but it will not be lost if you use the second pan.

You will hear of a lot of people using magnets, Im not real keen on this idea the reason been. If there is a very heavy display of mineral sands and you try to drag the mineral sands back from the gold the sand will trap gold and pull it down with it. The stronger the magnet the more trouble you will have, you are much better off using water. Do not ever glue a magnet in a pan silly idea. If you are panning clay silt you must make sure that all the clay has been dissolved, rinse the wash with clean water then pan it off.

It is not my intention to tell a person on how to prospect, I only offer guidance. What works well for me may not work well for you the same rule applies for the type of gear you have or are using. Whats good for you may not be good for me, I work on the kiss principal {keep it simple stupid}. My gear is designed to give minimum concentrate at clean-up time about of a Garret Super Sluice pan . Please keep in mind the type of post I do are only for guidance and are not meant to be read as be all end all.

Great post JB

I can't pan for shite (still got the L plates on) so I find this so interesting

Thanks for taking the time to post it

Cheers
Bazz

The amount of black sand i end up with just isnt pannable jemba. Im always stuck when it comes to black sand. Not long ago i went for a quick pan for an hour. I returned with half a pan of blacksand mostly concentrates. The gold doesnt sink in it even with dish liquid and very problematic. My solutions going to be a shaker table. Currently attempting to eat it with acid but sometimes still getting left behind. Ill try another mixture of chems this week when i buy more bleach and hopefully that one will work

After an hour of light panning. I usually pan, then throw the cons into an ice cream container. When its full its hometime ( unless i have 2 ) and then they do sit about. But as long as they are sitting about under my roof, the gold isnt going anywhere and im in no hurry to rwcover whats hidden in my buckets of cons. I sometimes dont clean out my pan and leave all these heavies while i continue panning as it just doesnt let go of the gold as it sinks deeper. There is an interesting 'charged' magnetite matting you can get online. I think its rubber or silicon with magnets in it, you charge it by sprinkling magnetite over it and the magnetic field creates riffles across the sluice. The magnetite grabs and stops the fine gold. Sort of like a mercury plate.

Id be happier to have a solution withought destroying the magnetite ( like with chemicals ) as i find a use for every resource. I can use magnetite for magnetic fluids, ammonia or even a homemade cassette tape if i wanted to try..

1449701501_14497014828112.jpg

AtomRat said:
Would you plastic weld one of these blue ones if it cracks?

I tried that with my Keene 14" blue pan that cracked. The join seemed to change the dynamic of the wash action and I didn't get used to it. It got rebirthed as a pile of small plastic pieces which seemed to fit nicely in the recycle bin. Bought a new one and a smaller blue 10" which is now my favourite for sampling.

Wow! Thats a huge amount of black sand!

Give the magnet a go through it, and also use a bluebowl or table shaker... that should take care of it. but they are not perfect.

Where are you getting that much black sand? If you don't mind me asking...

Very interesting thread, guys.

While researching backwash and tap techniques for dealing with the pesky Eldorado black sands, I came across this series of videos from Mike Pung

This is number 5 in a series, and towards the end demonstrates the backwash and tap method pretty clearly. I learned a couple of useful tips, like tapping down the angle of the side of the pan (it's explained more clearly in the vid).

Later vids on dealing with the fine stuff are also interesting.

Mike uses a little pan for this, very effectively too. I know other prospectors who like to use the little Garrett pan for clean up too. I'm with Jembaicumbene and like to use a larger pan like the super sluice for cleanup. J. is also correct that everyone has their own approach, and your milage may vary.

All in all, this is one of the more interesting and instructive series on prospecting I've seen. The first one in the series is called the Fine Gold Challenge.

By the way, I'd like to get the little stack of plastic classifiers he uses in Video #2.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOB7XRE5XcE[/video]

That's nothing. Four 10L buckets of wash, composed of decomposed granite and gravel test panned from Reedy Creek yesterday. The good stuff is hiding underneath the muck.
1449706886_black_sand.jpg

DrDuck said:
Very interesting thread, guys.

While researching backwash and tap techniques for dealing with the pesky Eldorado black sands, I came across this series of videos from Mike Pung

This is number 5 in a series, and towards the end demonstrates the backwash and tap method pretty clearly. I learned a couple of useful tips, like tapping down the angle of the side of the pan (it's explained more clearly in the vid).

Later vids on dealing with the fine stuff are also interesting.

Mike uses a little pan for this, very effectively too. I know other prospectors who like to use the little Garrett pan for clean up too. I'm with Jembaicumbene and like to use a larger pan like the super sluice for cleanup. J. is also correct that everyone has their own approach, and your milage may vary.

All in all, this is one of the more interesting and instructive series on prospecting I've seen. The first one in the series is called the Fine Gold Challenge.

By the way, I'd like to get the little stack of plastic classifiers he uses in Video #2.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOB7XRE5XcE[/video]

Yeah love the way Mike does this.

I have not made mention of the gold king gold pan which I also use for clean-up. This pan is no longer available but it would be the best pan I ever used for clean-up. I see references made for the use of magnets as stated I consider this a very, very bad idea. A/R mate I have in the past plastic weld one when it cracks but it never worked real good and after a bit the pan cracked in the same place again. Thanks Bazz. You can use a blue bowl or shaker table or reduce your blacks in a clean-up sluice. But the way I see it to reduce my blacks I must first start at the banker and work out from there. This is where one of the differences in bankers comes into play. Your banker must have the ability to process and discard the majority of blacks without gold loss so at clean-up time you only have a small percentage of concentrate by comparison to some. Dr.D thanks mate good post. Below is a series of photos when cleaning up with the gold King pan.

Concentrate from banker

1%20Copy_zpsinnsezdf.jpg

Separation of black sand from the gold

2%20Copy_zps9mv9mse3.jpg

3%20Copy_zpsxtp47hkq.jpg

End result the gold.

4%20Copy_zpsgpuayuzx.jpg

Remember I can only talk about the style in which I work. Other people may have different ways that work for them just as good as mine works for me. Cheers J.

Jembaicumbene said:
I have not made mention of the gold king gold pan which I also use for clean-up. This pan is no longer available but it would be the best pan I ever used for clean-up. I see references made for the use of magnets as stated I consider this a very, very bad idea. A/R mate I have in the past plastic weld one when it cracks but it never worked real good and after a bit the pan cracked in the same place again. Thanks Bazz. You can use a blue bowl or shaker table or reduce your blacks in a clean-up sluice. But the way I see it to reduce my blacks I must first start at the banker and work out from there. This is where one of the differences in bankers comes into play. Your banker must have the ability to process and discard the majority of blacks without gold loss so at clean-up time you only have a small percentage of concentrate by comparison to some. Dr.D thanks mate good post. Below is a series of photos when cleaning up with the gold King pan.

Concentrate from banker

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q681/james_1017/1 Copy_zpsinnsezdf.jpg

Separation of black sand from the gold

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q681/james_1017/2 Copy_zps9mv9mse3.jpg

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q681/james_1017/3 Copy_zpsxtp47hkq.jpg

End result the gold.

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q681/james_1017/4 Copy_zpsgpuayuzx.jpg

Remember I can only talk about the style in which I work. Other people may hay different ways that work for them just as good as mine works for me. Cheers J.

Thanks for that info, really good.

Gold King pans are available on US eBay every now and again but as you say they are fragile and prone to damage in the post .

Latest posts