Weipa Trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi fellow forum followers, We left Cairns on Thursday headed for Weipa to work. We stopped over night at a spot on the Coen River which we always camp at but have never thought of having a look at regarding gold. Shane, who is one of the guys who works for me decided after drinking 2 dozen xxxx cans and 2 Bundies that at 11 o'clock at night it was time to suck out a crevice that he spotted while stumbling around with a torch. He retrieved a bucket of material and that was it for the night. The following morning he got a hand full of material and panned it with the result being 15 fly poop sized pieces of gold. After that we spent the next hour extracting another three buckets of material that produced another 60 odd specs. We had to leave so we could make it to Weipa on time but we are going to make a point of working the spot a bit harder on the way home. I am looking forward to giving it some attention as there is a lot of bedrock patches in the river. My Angus Mackirk Explorer sluice arrived 30 minutes before we had to leave so it has already been put to work. I am impressed with the way it works. Cheers everyone and I will try to get some photos for updates. Rick. :)

Hay KJ,
If it's the camping spot I'm thinking of just north of the town it's a nice spot. We camped there on the way home from the Tip.
Is the half strength beer at Coen still 80 bucks a carton?

Cheers
Mick

Probably Mick, but we try not to buy it from there because of the price. The spot is right at the bridge over the Coen River only 50 meters off the road. It's a nice spot with good running water and a sandy spot to roll the swag out. LOVE IT. And now we know there is some gold, it just got better.

No wonder it took you 36 hours to get to bloody Weipa! .. I'm telling the Boss Lady on you Rick! .. Crikey, that Shane's a fair dinkum fine magnet ay.

Good trip and get some concrete poured mate .. Keep us posted and regards to Shane.

Latest posts