Weighing the Passengers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The same problem must come into play with road vehicles. When we were producing off road passenger vehicles in the 80's the Ausralian Design Rules stated an occupant weight to be 68kg and we had to allow 15kg for hand luggage.

I doubt those weights would apply today so you might find your road going vehicles overweight as well.

When I went for a fly in a PC9 (What the Roulettes used to fly) I was weighed AND measured, as well as a full medical.

Apart from weight, they wanted height. length of leg from hip to knee, length from knee to foot and sitting position height of torso.

All to do with weight n balance and, that the ejection seat wasn't going to either kill me or rip my legs off if activated. (I'm 6' tall and near the limit, lol.) 7Gs in flight and more than that when ejecting will kinda do that. :)

So weighing for a small aircraft is a breeze.

Of far more concern is that if, I load the car with detecting gear etc and hook up the van, then take the wife with me, my 4x4 is over GVM, so something gets left behind.
Fortunately she's not interested in prospecting so it's her. :)

Did see a program on TV about a small plane crashing , 10 passengers ? It was found the passengers exceeded the weight limit , from Doctors records . They had not been weighed before getting on the plane . Think they were all killed , then they changed the rules , all had to be weighed before getting on the plane .

At least the ride I went on had an "Out" My wife was worried that I was gonna go do loops n rolls n stall spins. I told her it was safer than Qantas as with them you're there for the ride, it goes down you go down with it. At least I could bang out and float down on a chute. That made her less worried lol.

I think I might be able to beat all of you.

Some years ago I was humongous. and was flying to Norfolk Island (they did tend to fill the plane up with extras, so it was loaded) and we were seated in the rear of the plane, before we took off they came and asked me to move to the front of the plane.

Blocker said:
I think I might be able to beat all of you.

Some years ago I was humongous. and was flying to Norfolk Island (they did tend to fill the plane up with extras, so it was loaded) and we were seated in the rear of the plane, before we took off they came and asked me to move to the front of the plane.

You win. :)

I know people who I refuse to let in my car these days.
I gave a lift to a guy years ago that damaged my seat in a Ford I had at the time. Never again. Need a lift? Call a tow truck.

Yep, being in the RAAF/aviation all my life the standard rule of thumb was 12(humans) to the ton. Don't think that applies too much anymore. I also get a little concerned getting into elevators with some larger humans :argh:

And thanks Condor for reminding me of my flights in the RAAF. Working KC-30s for the final 4 years of my career I did a lot of airborne miles, usually refuelling missions so we had a huge A330 with usually only about 15 crew onboard.

Best flight though, one of my 3 hornet flights...it was a full engine air test after an engine change so the required procedures are very intense, inverted flight, high G turns etc...but it was with one FLTLT Matty Hall...if the name is familiar it's because it's the same Matt Hall that left the air force to become the Red Bull Air Race World Champion. He flew that hornet exactly the same way :Y: :D :Y:

Know the name, my pilot was Cam Morris (ARDU) test flight for some kit I designed. Pulled 7.5Gs+ and 4.5 neg, 4 times each. Then some stall spins. At least I didn't lose my lunch. :)

If it was me it would over 14 to the ton. If it was my wife's late uncle it would be barely 6.

After the flight, the whites of my eyes were as red as Santa's suit. lasted about 3-4 days. Plus looping on the outside hanging from the seat looking at the ground, you can't help but think "I hope these straps don't give" lol. That was back in 1990 and those Gs were aircraft max. which was later reduced to 4.5 G+ to extend the planes life.

Nurses often end up with a bad back . Knew one that had to get out because of it . She loved nursing .

Latest posts