We found hundreds of old timers diggings Detector advise

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan1981

Ryan Talbot
Reaction score
Hi peps, recently while out for a scratch around we came across a a heap of old timers holes most about 3-7 meter round and 2-4 deep, and many of them had quartz piles near them or around the rims of the digs.

I dont think anyone has touched the area at all in a very long time and i know that they are old, because some of the holes have big gums growing out the middle of them.

What sort of detector wound be best to swing and see if they missed any bits.

Thanks guys
Ryan

Heatho said:
SDC loves these type of spots, all depends on your budget. If you find plenty with an SDC then you might want to get something that punches deeper.
Spot on advice.

yeah thanks guys, i was leaning that way, i might hire one first and check it out. Im itching to get back there and see whats what.
Budget is tight ATM but later this year im going for it.
cheers
Ryan

We have similar diggings around our way Ryan , we try and rake them down a bit , the good thing I have found is with the SDC you can literally scrape it along the ground without falsing .

Good luck

possibly still gold there at depth between the holes.. back hoe might be the go to get down to the unsearched gold bearing layer between the holes.... :)

kawman said:
possibly still gold there at depth between the holes.. back hoe might be the go to get down to the unsearched gold bearing layer between the holes.... :)

HAHA i wish mate,it would be near impossible to get a backhoe in there, unless i used a couple of hurhules helicopters,Hmmmm now u got me thinking,lol

If you want to see If there is Gold In The Rocks then You Will Need The Whites GMT or the minelab Eureka Gold, The SDC is fine for small nugget but for Very Fine Gold which is the Type the Miners would have Missed the You need one of the First Two machines, Searching Old Heaps the Ground will not be so Hot so you Don't Need A PI Machine, and if you are going to buy A PI Machine and want to save $2500.00 Then Think About Buying the Whites SPP, from Goldsearch Australia, Or any other Whites Dealer,

Greglz86 said:
Hey mate. If you dont know what you want to buy detectaden in fishwick hire them out.
The detector might even buy itself ;)
Yeah i was thinking the same thing mate, that would be an awesome way to fund a shinny new piece of kit :)

If you are ever over this way Ryan ( long shot but you never know )you are welcome to give my machine a run to see if you like an SDC , I am interested in RR 's comments as I was looking for a detector for my wife and tried out the SPP because of its weight , I can confirm it does not hit the targets that the SDC does . In my testing at jupiter creek in mineralised soil , also has the SDC hitting a 38 gram bean sinker at ten inches but have been unable to test other machines at this stage with it which probably hit deeper . I have no allegiance to either manufacturer and would like to try a Whites TDI Pro OZ before committing to a second machine , but with the 4500 or 5000 prices dropping this is my probable direction.

PS if you do go an SDC , a tip from Jonathan Porter really helps me , on the walk to the patch I have my earphones in, the SDC on 5 , tuning my ears to the warble , then drop it back to the preferred setting to detect. It really is amazing what feint targets you can then hear with a pull of the threshold.

Cheers and Beers mate

Bacchus said:
If you are ever over this way Ryan ( long shot but you never know )you are welcome to give my machine a run to see if you like an SDC , I am interested in RR 's comments as I was looking for a detector for my wife and tried out the SPP because of its weight , I can confirm it does not hit the targets that the SDC does . In my testing at jupiter creek in mineralised soil , also has the SDC hitting a 38 gram bean sinker at ten inches but have been unable to test other machines at this stage with it which probably hit deeper . I have no allegiance to either manufacturer and would like to try a Whites TDI Pro OZ before committing to a second machine , but with the 4500 or 5000 prices dropping this is my probable direction.

PS if you do go an SDC , a tip from Jonathan Porter really helps me , on the walk to the patch I have my earphones in, the SDC on 5 , tuning my ears to the warble , then drop it back to the preferred setting to detect. It really is amazing what feint targets you can then hear with a pull of the threshold.

Cheers and Beers mate

Yes I thought my Comments are Interesting Too, Considering Liz (WalnLiz) found Over 30 Nuggets with Her TDI is Brilliant and Just Before Christmas A Certain Person Found a 5.6 OZT Nugget at A Depth of 32" Inches with A TDI, I have personally Dug .22 slugs at 10" weighing 2.37 Grams, (Not 38grams)

you can't Confirm anything about the SPP until you have spent 40 or 50 hours out in the field with it and Not Just Tinkered In the Garden,

You Can Change the Coils on the SPP (There Is Over 100 That will Fit It) to make it See Very Tiny Things Or you Can Put On A Massive Coil to Make it Go Way Down Deep, As In A Few FEET or More,

I have Searched Minelabs web Site and they Don't Seem To List any Extra Coils For the SDC for Some Reason, Which will Effect It's Usability, Hugely,

So Baring that In Mind and the Saving of $2500 (Dollars) Ryan Could Use that $2500 To Buy At Leased 6 Extra Coils To Make the SPP A Truly Universal Machine in Stead Of Limiting Him Self with Just One Coil,

Not To Mention The Problems that Many SDC user's Have Complained about On This Forum, Such As Multiple Speaker Failures, Battery Fitment Issues, Or having to Use Cable Tie's To Secure The Coil Knuckle Joint,
But That's Alright It's Just A Flesh Wound (Courtesy of Monty Python)

I Must Apologize For Not Recommending The SDC In My First Post (Sorry About That) Because I was Trying to ensure that After Ryan Driving 5 or 6 Hours Out In The Bush, That He Had an Enjoyable Trouble Free Experience, As well We All Know that even the Best Detector does Not Guarantee that you Will Find Gold,

PS:- Ryan If Money Is No Object Then Check Out The Whites TDI Pro @ $2600.00+/-$$, Or The MineLab GPX 5000, Or The Ultimate Machine The MineLab GPZ 7000.

;)
Ridge Runner said:
Bacchus said:

Cheers and Beers mate

Yes I thought my Comments are Interesting Too, Considering Liz (WalnLiz) found Over 30 Nuggets with Her TDI is Brilliant and Just Before Christmas A Certain Person Found a 5.6 OZT Nugget at A Depth of 32" Inches with A TDI, I have personally Dug .22 slugs at 10" weighing 2.37 Grams, (Not 38grams)

you can't Confirm anything about the SPP until you have spent 40 or 50 hours out in the field with it and Not Just Tinkered In the Garden,

You Can Change the Coils on the SPP (There Is Over 100 That will Fit It) to make it See Very Tiny Things Or you Can Put On A Massive Coil to Make it Go Way Down Deep, As In A Few FEET or More,

I have Searched Minelabs web Site and they Don't Seem To List any Extra Coils For the SDC for Some Reason, Which will Effect It's Usability, Hugely,

So Baring that In Mind and the Saving of $2500 (Dollars) Ryan Could Use that $2500 To Buy At Leased 6 Extra Coils To Make the SPP A Truly Universal Machine in Stead Of Limiting Him Self with Just One Coil,

Not To Mention The Problems that Many SDC user's Have Complained about On This Forum, Such As Multiple Speaker Failures, Battery Fitment Issues, Or having to Use Cable Tie's To Secure The Coil Knuckle Joint,

I Must Apologize For Not Recommending The SDC In My First Post (Sorry About That) Because I was Trying to ensure that After Ryan Driving 5 or 6 Hours Out In The Bush, That He Had an Enjoyable Trouble Free Experience, As well We All Know that even the Best Detector does Not Guarantee that you Will Find Gold,

PS:- Ryan If Money Is No Object Then Check Out The Whites TDI Pro @ $2600.00+/-$$, Or The MineLab GPX 5000, Or The Ultimate Machine The MineLab GPZ 7000.

To continue on the Monty Python theme you are in the wrong room , you need " is this the right room for an argument "

Go fish elsewhere

Not biting :)

1424431077_2015-02-20-22-17-10--1389449773.jpeg

Ridge Runner said:
Bacchus said:

Cheers and Beers mate

1424432642_88e0a066-a99b-42b6-a056-da95f0906c49.jpg

Bacchus said:
;)
Ridge Runner said:
Bacchus said:

Cheers and Beers mate

To continue on the Monty Python theme you are in the wrong room , you need " is this the right room for an argument "

Go fish elsewhere

Not biting :)

Just As Well, Because I'm Not Fishing, But Most Importantly I am Not Going To Lie To Ryan and Tell Him That The SDC Is A Wonderful Machine When Its Not, It is Very Good At Finding Gold "Yes", But the build Quality Sucks and to Find Deep Targets He Would Have to Buy A GPX As Well and For Fine Gold He Would Need the eureka gold Total Cost about $13,500 Dollars,
With the SPP and the Whites GMT That's about $3000, If He Is Just Starting Out With this Hobby/Venture, Then Surely It would be Best To Guide Him Down The Road Where He has Very Few Disappointments And Can Get Started Right Away and As his Needs Change He Can Trade In And Trade Up As He Succeeds In His Goals,

At The Moment He Only Needs the SPP or The GMT But NOT BOTH

Surely Your Goal Should be More About Helping Him than Getting Him In to A Machine That Has More Than Its Fair Share Of Issues So As Not To Destroy His Enthusiasm, Why Would You Guide A Person Who Is New To this Hobby Into A Professional Type Machine That Costs $3995.00 When He Does Not Even Know If this Hobby Is For Him, Surely He would Be Better Off With A Cheaper Machine Because if He Does not Like It and He Sells the SPP he will Loose A Couple Of Hundred, If He Does the Same With the SDC He Could Loose 6-7 Maybe 800 Dollars, Which He has already said that Funds are A Bit Tight and That He May Buy the BiG Rig Later or Next Year

Surely The Important Thing Here Is To Get Him Out There and Get Him On The Gold, The Gold Does Not Care What Detector Finds IT,
He Has Already Said Money Is Tight, Which Bit Of That Don't You Understand, That Means An SDC and A GPX are Out of the Question (FOR NOW)
For Christ Sake Give The Bloke A Break, He's Not In The Same Boat As You. Help Him Out Here,

Redfin said:
Ridge Runner said:
Bacchus said:

Cheers and Beers mate

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2642_88e0a066-a99b-42b6-a056-da95f0906c49.jpg

Struth RedFin You Have Got Old

Latest posts