WA Checklist

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all,

Started planning my solo gold trip from SA to WA next April 2020. Have been lucky enough to get a few hundred waypoints that will get me on the gold... have many people done it solo and has anyone got a checklist they worked off for a trip like that?

Plan is to go a few hundred kms North of Kal, got a 2wd New Navara dual cab. Have been told 2wd is all you need unless it rains.. then you can be stuck for a few days. But on average April is still dry. Will be staying in the bush. What are the must haves? Do mkst people stick to 1 area or spot hope. Do you hit pending ground or Live ground with a 40e?

Any tips or advice will be appreciated.

Be very careful with just a 2wd vehicle around the goldfields. Yes a 2wd will get you about but you can still get stuck with a 2wd. Pending ground and 40E are both good as gold is where you find it. Most importantly take plenty of water, spare batteries, Epirb or PlB. April can still be hot during the day.

Bradcorrie, we have done various trips to WA expressly for gold. 3 to 4mts plus in WA each trip. We had 4wd but in ll cases 2wd would have been sufficient. All in outer areas of the main tracks. The key is common sense. A few times we came across people stuck and it was in all cases due to carelessness or not realising and taking care of where there tyres were traversing. Staking tyres, rock damage ect. The smallest bushes will give you a flat.
Things to carry.
Tyre plugs,
air compressor,
more water than you think you might need,
enough fuel (more furl is used than on normal roads),
gps or backtracker,
Some basic tools, ie shifters, sockets or spanners, pliers, multigrips, hammer, screwdriver set,
Insulation tape, duct tape,
Some wire, for basic fix jobs,
Some tiedown ratchet straps,
There is probably more but these things will help you get out the shite if it come to that.
With 2wd you need to be able to look at terrain and know your vehicle clearance, comonsense to most.
We have come across city slickers people whe have gone bush, they think that they are all kitted out with every thing imaginable from arb including uhf radio, but have know idea how to use what they have. They think there vehicle will somehow be bush proof and the real problem was they were so ignorant.

We have almost always travelled alone except when we invited friends along to join in and enjoy the prospecting journey.
Others will also add comments but really once you leave the main formed tracks then common sense really does kick in.
Enjoy your planning and trip

travelergold said:
Bradcorrie, we have done various trips to WA expressly for gold. 3 to 4mts plus in WA each trip. We had 4wd but in ll cases 2wd would have been sufficient. All in outer areas of the main tracks. The key is common sense. A few times we came across people stuck and it was in all cases due to carelessness or not realising and taking care of where there tyres were traversing. Staking tyres, rock damage ect. The smallest bushes will give you a flat.
Things to carry.
Tyre plugs,
air compressor,
more water than you think you might need,
enough fuel (more furl is used than on normal roads),
gps or backtracker,
Some basic tools, ie shifters, sockets or spanners, pliers, multigrips, hammer, screwdriver set,
Insulation tape, duct tape,
Some wire, for basic fix jobs,
Some tiedown ratchet straps,
There is probably more but these things will help you get out the shite if it come to that.
With 2wd you need to be able to look at terrain and know your vehicle clearance, comonsense to most.
We have come across city slickers people whe have gone bush, they think that they are all kitted out with every thing imaginable from arb including uhf radio, but have know idea how to use what they have. They think there vehicle will somehow be bush proof and the real problem was they were so ignorant.

We have almost always travelled alone except when we invited friends along to join in and enjoy the prospecting journey.
Others will also add comments but really once you leave the main formed tracks then common sense really does kick in.
Enjoy your planning and trip

Perfect mate. This is the response I was looking for. Appreciate the input. Thank you.

Did 8 weeks solo last year around Leonora
Take tinned food and lots of it
Fly net x2
Deet spray
Lump hammer, cold chisel, jackhammer chisel (long)
Firelighters, lighters
As much water as you can fit
Full tank of fuel when you leave for the bush from the nearest town plus a 20L jerry
Decent camp chair
Being 2wd I would recommend some maxxtrax or similar
Two gold scoops
Gold pan
Chain for gridding
Drag chain for dragging firewood to camp
Good quality air compressor, tyre plugs
If you have a fridge a cryovac is handy for sealing meat withiut having to run your fridge/freezer hard as it keeps longer
Small table
Telstra simcard
Extendable tent pole (to send your phone up in the sky to get reception)
Epirb
Gps device or 2x iphone or similar with gps apps
If you use your phone for music around the fire load it up with songs beforehand
Limited radio except talkback
I took a chainsaw but it didn't get used, still I'll take one again
A small bin or canvas bag for rubbish
Obvious spares for motor vehicle hoses, belts etc
Comfy mattress or swag
20l bucket for washing up or washing socks
Camp shower (black bag)
Empty plastic jar for specimens
Decent solar setup for spare battery and charging detectors etc
Common sense :Y:
1565996155_img_8052.jpg

The thing to remember is how long you will be over there, where you intend to detect, and then pack gear accordingly.
We only carried a 40lt engel fridge, ran as freezer, we seemed to eat like kings. Canned food is good, dehydrated vegies or if regularly into town then buy there. Might cost more but that is part and parcel of outback camping. Pasta and rice to, but that needs water so pack accordingly.
We found the first time that we way overpacked and learnt from that.
Moist ones are so so handy as well. But remember what you take bush, the rubbish comes back with you as well to be properly disposed off.
First aid kit is never mentioned much, but is also a must.
We also had second battery and solar panel. We came across a vehicle with flat battery in the bush and they had no way of self charging it.
And if you are intending to go off main tracks or not to sure of yourself, notify family or friends your intended movements and notifying them of your return, saves distress in case something does go wrong.

Ill be watching this thread with interest Brad. Im thinking of doing tge same trip but coupling the gold trip with a lengthy sightseeing trip too.
Ill be interested to see how your trip pans out.
Hey and maybe we might cross paths somewhere........who knows.

Reeks said:
Did 8 weeks solo last year around Leonora
Take tinned food and lots of it
Fly net x2
Deet spray
Lump hammer, cold chisel, jackhammer chisel (long)
Firelighters, lighters
As much water as you can fit
Full tank of fuel when you leave for the bush from the nearest town plus a 20L jerry
Decent camp chair
Being 2wd I would recommend some maxxtrax or similar
Two gold scoops
Gold pan
Chain for gridding
Drag chain for dragging firewood to camp
Good quality air compressor, tyre plugs
If you have a fridge a cryovac is handy for sealing meat withiut having to run your fridge/freezer hard as it keeps longer
Small table
Telstra simcard
Extendable tent pole (to send your phone up in the sky to get reception)
Epirb
Gps device or 2x iphone or similar with gps apps
If you use your phone for music around the fire load it up with songs beforehand
Limited radio except talkback
I took a chainsaw but it didn't get used, still I'll take one again
A small bin or canvas bag for rubbish
Obvious spares for motor vehicle hoses, belts etc
Comfy mattress or swag
20l bucket for washing up or washing socks
Camp shower (black bag)
Empty plastic jar for specimens
Decent solar setup for spare battery and charging detectors etc
Common sense :Y:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1557/1565996155_img_8052.jpg

MVP right here. Thank you mate. Have started my list on a excel spread sheet. Will add your advice to it now.

Spares for your detectors also

I carry spare coil plugs and battery lead plugs along with a butane soldering iron and small screw driver kit.

I had to use them a couple of time this trip. Last week accidental closed the Patrol door on the coil plug on my evo coil totally destroying it.
Luckily I had the spares available to fix it and was back out detecting in an hour

The Coles Express servo in Leonora carries the basic supplies at the same prices as Coles in Kalgoorlie so you dont have to massively stock up on milk, bread and eggs etc. Im camped about 20 km out of Leonora atm and go into town once a week to top up water and buy a weeks supply of the basics. They also carry meat but it is a lot more expensive that Kal.

If you need to refill gas cylinders make sure that you do it in Kalgoorlie as the cost to do it at Leonora or Leinster is over double what you pay in Kal.

There is a water point at the information centre on the way into Leonora on the right hand side of the information boards.

With your S40Es, make sure that you lodge them at least 8 weeks before you leave as they now take a minimum of 6 weeks to process and at this time it is taking very much longer.

Brad,

The lists provided are good and appear to be based on experience and common sense. I would suggest you take a well stocked first aid kit. Get one of the larger 4x4 ones from BFC and add to it with items from the chemist.
Eg. Tweezers, magnifing glass, eye wash, bigger bandaids, Ibuprofen, Dulcolax stuff to help you go, Gastrostop stuff to stop you going too much, Betadine and what ever else you think you may need.
Hope you don't have to use it.
Regards Ron

Balmain Bob said:
Spares for your detectors also

I carry spare coil plugs and battery lead plugs along with a butane soldering iron and small screw driver kit.

I had to use them a couple of time this trip. Last week accidental closed the Patrol door on the coil plug on my evo coil totally destroying it.
Luckily I had the spares available to fix it and was back out detecting in an hour

The Coles Express servo in Leonora carries the basic supplies at the same prices as Coles in Kalgoorlie so you dont have to massively stock up on milk, bread and eggs etc. Im camped about 20 km out of Leonora atm and go into town once a week to top up water and buy a weeks supply of the basics. They also carry meat but it is a lot more expensive that Kal.

If you need to refill gas cylinders make sure that you do it in Kalgoorlie as the cost to do it at Leonora or Leinster is over double what you pay in Kal.

There is a water point at the information centre on the way into Leonora on the right hand side of the information boards.

With your S40Es, make sure that you lodge them at least 8 weeks before you leave as they now take a minimum of 6 weeks to process and at this time it is taking very much longer.

Bloody legend Bob... is your camp safe while you go detecting for the day or shoot into town? That's my only concern

tully001 said:
Brad,

The lists provided are good and appear to be based on experience and common sense. I would suggest you take a well stocked first aid kit. Get one of the larger 4x4 ones from BFC and add to it with items from the chemist.
Eg. Tweezers, magnifing glass, eye wash, bigger bandaids, Ibuprofen, Dulcolax stuff to help you go, Gastrostop stuff to stop you going too much, Betadine and what ever else you think you may need.
Hope you don't have to use it.
Regards Ron

Thanks mate. Appreciate the advice. Will grab a larger one for sure..

I always lock the main gear away in the morning and Im back at camp a couple of times a day. Where Im camped is well off the main road (about 1800m) so Im not too easy to find. I also enter and exit off the main road by different tracks so that I dont create a well worn path direct to my camp.
If Im worried about people being about I then detect closer to camp. Weekends seem to the busiest out here with people illegally detecting. :(

Next year I will have a few trail cams to put out around the place but this years the area is too open for them not to be seen

Balmain Bob said:
I always lock the main gear away in the morning and Im back at camp a couple of times a day. Where Im camped is well off the main road (about 1800m) so Im not too easy to find. I also enter and exit off the main road by different tracks so that I dont create a well worn path direct to my camp.
If Im worried about people being about I then detect closer to camp. Weekends seem to the busiest out here with people illegally detecting. :(

Next year I will have a few trail cams to put out around the place but this years the area is too open for them not to be seen

Thanks mate. Really appreciate it

Balmain Bob said:
Another important thing to know is that case of beer the the local pub in Leonora is only $7 dearer than in Kal. In Sandstone it is over $20 dearer

We found that when I work out of Newman... Newman was $34 for a 30 box of xxxx, Tom price was $50.... not far between both towns

That is good to know :Y: I made multiple trips to Kal for beers and groceries.

In my experience the only time this area becomes really difficult is during/after a rainfall event. Ofcourse salt lakes are never a good idea to drive on any time of year. If it does pelt down heavy even a capable 4x4 won't be geting out. Keeping up to date with the forecasts should help avert disaster. The terrain can get a bit soft and sandy in places but traction usually isn't a problem. Ground clearance to get over those stones,boulders and washouts is much more important. I have a syncro van converted to solid shaft (true 4x4) aswell as front/rear difflocks and lifted for 40cm ground clearance under the diff. The high ground clearance served me best and I've not had to engage 4x4.
The 2wd Navara coupled with smart driving still has enough to get over/around them. Don't ever drive over vegetation no matter how insignificant and harmless it may appear or it's sidewall punctures galore. I got 6 irrepairable stakes in 3 weeks on one trip. Expensive lesson to learn. Either fit yourself out with some resilient tyres from the get-go (Madtuna would probably have some good recommendations) or stick to the open terrain,trails and fence lines. Furthermore I'm unsure how experienced you are with maintenance and 4x4 self recovery but make sure you've got the basics. A lot of people don't even know they can dramatically increase their traction by reducing tyre pressures, that it's often easier to reverse out than push forward if caught in the soft stuff. Breaking tyre beads by driving over them in the event you need to remove for repairs let alone knowing how to patch a tyre. It's common sense stuff really but knowledge which some just don't arm themselves with and could easily save another unnecessary and expensive rescue of an ill prepared traveller. Having said that at the very least make sure you have a means to call for help if you really need it (sat phone, epirb at a minimum)

Now for a long story... (To make it short for those that don't want to read the following, I got bogged but got out with the use of a winch and some patience. Keep provisions stocked up :Y: )

I found myself camped on a rock island for 2 weeks a few years back NE of Leonora. Nearest trail was 5k's away and nearest dirt road 40k's. A rare weather system moved through and I got hammered with lightening and rain. I've experience cyclones in QLD but this was something else. Looked like the dark of night was moving in from the NW and ven though it was a long way off I could already see the flickers of lightening throughout. I will add it was 47c that day in summer but the mercury was dropping fast as the clouds moved in. Then right before the storm hit the most peculiar thing I'd ever seen happened. In the distance around a km away I saw what looked like a darkening of the red earth.

For km's in all directions of the most expansive views I witnessed the ground darkening. At first I thought it was just the shade created by the encroaching weather system but it soon became clear what was actually moving in my direction was a flood. It reached my camp in a matter of minutes which was situated on a level clearing on this beautiful concrete hard slab of red sand coated in salt and pepper. I was not in a creek bed or at any low point where water could accumulate so wasn't worried at this stage. As the water started pushing through camp it would have only been 5cm deep and slow moving. It then dawned on me that much more was yet to come and made the decision to pack up and shift out. Not a minute later a blinding flash of lightning hits just short of my van followed by the most deafening loud thunderous boom. I closed up the windows and fearing death by electrocution I kept myself clear from anything metallic. At this point any chance of driving out was reduced to nil as rain started pelting down and lightening bounced off the van further obscuring any visibility. I sat and soiled myself for a couple hours until the thunder and lightening passed and the rain eased to the sound of a gentle pitter patter on the roof.

It was getting dark at this point and with the lightening having passed I lifted the poptop up and cooked my dinner. Glancing outside I noticed the flood had abated and the rain was seemingly being soaked up by the red soil. 10 minutes later another peculiar thing happened. For those of you familiar with the feeling associated with an elevator moving down, well...that's the feeling I had. I peered out the window again and this time a much more alarming sight presented before me as my wheels had disappeared below the surface of my perfectly level camp. I'd just sunk around 50cm in a second. I knew I was in the poo if I didn't do something fast!

Having lost my appetite I stepped out into the rain immediately sinking in up to the ankles and began wading through to retrieve my tirfor winch from the boot as I knew there was no way I was driving out now. I'd almost left the winch at home (Adelaide) as I'd just completed a lap of the east coast having lugged it onboard and never needed it. It was about to become worth its weight in gold. I was lucky to have 100m of dyneema rope and 20m of cable with me as the nearest good anchor was around 80 meters away. My winch was rated to 2 tons and even with the lever at full extension for maximum leverage I struggled to crank out enough force to pull the van out of its bog. I dare say I well exceeded the safe capacity to drag my van through that mud. In all I must have dragged it well over 100m to a small rock island where finally the undercarriage and wheels saw the light of day, err night again. For those of you who occasionally see strange lights and hear weird noises at untimely hours in the outback I was probably to blame for one such instance.

I sat there on that small rock island for 2 weeks and during the first 2 days I collected drinking and cleaning water from the roof run off. I managed 60ls worth so no shortage for a long stint. There were other small rock islands in this landscape but they were hundreds of meters away and in my down time I actually started to plan a route hopping from island to island in the event the ground didn't dry out before I ran out of provisions. I figured if I could find anchor points at each island I may be able to winch myself from one to the next and eventually get back to atleast the trail which would hopefully be more compact and allow me to drive out. Being stranded on that rock island turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Over the course of 2 weeks the temps were back up in the 40's most days and the area became rife with wildlife

The clear pools which had formed in the hollows of rocks on these islands were full of frogs and birds came in to drink. Also Emu's dingoes, kangaroos and various reptiles were active. I was there cut-off on my island and just soaking up the serenity. Sunrise/sunset and nature. Bloody beautiful. Ofcourse having the provisions to live comfortably for a few weeks made it all that much more enjoyable. Also I didn't have family back home worrying about my whereabouts and sure enough just as my provisions ran low the ground firmed up enough for me to drive out unassisted. It was quite fascinating to see it transform from a soft slushy quicksand to a hard as concrete level surface which could carry anything. Even the trench I'd dug winching myself clear had completely filled in leaving no evidence of any hardship having been endured.

Suggest many Tyre plugs/Glue along with the repair kit and know how to use the kit. I take 3 Rims/tyres, 1 year had stakes in 2 and puncture in the 3rd. Tyres are available in Leonora, matching tyres if not availabel can be shipped up from Kal overnight.

If going Solo, definitely have a Blue Tick Mobile Phone and a Telsta Sim Card, we have a mobile phone aerial on the roof of our cruiser, aerial lead fits into the back of the T81 ZTE/Telstra Phone ( I think the T82 is a latter model)., We also carry a sat phone in the vehicle, you can rent then short term, I think from SatPhoneSales.

Suggest also a good hand held CB, carry it with you always, if solo leave on scan so you know who else is around.
Of course, when you get out of your vehicle prior to detecting, Mark the vehicle in your GPS ie develop a routine.

Agree on the LPG Gas fill prices, we generally do a Swap and Go at Shell Kal for $29 and then get 10c/lt off the 150Lt fill up, plus a 4c docket that we get from a $30 shop at Coles in Kal.

Also using the Petrol Spy App a Fuel Site in Ceduna gives significant discount on Diesel, its one of those hole in the Wall Fill yourself setups.

Peter

You need to do your research (lots of it) before you go and line up heaps of pending ground and 40e permits for a couple live EL leases. You need an app like australian geology travel maps that will show up to date leases and google earth images offline...so you know where you are.
Also need a gps or back to camp app like Locatier.
A detecting friend with a second car is also nearly a must in remoter spots unless you are very experienced.
Good roadside assistance with added towing/accom coverage is also worth it.
Lastly i would take a crowbar and 5 kg scales. Its terrible sitting in camp guessing what a large slug/specimen weighs

Latest posts