Starting Out - advice on GPX 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi any advice on the gear I will be starting with
Picked up a used unit few weeks ago
Used GPX 5000 genuine unit
Harness
Minelab 11 in Mono and 11 in Double D
NF Evo 14x9
NF Evo 15in (new)
Minelab Bat & Batpak Battery
External Speaker
Control Box cover
Heavy duty detector bag
Extra lower shaft (new)
2 setsHeadphones
Spare power cable
Large pick (new) plus a small one
Extra skids for both NF Evolution coils (new)
Tape
Miners Right
Have given YouTube a good old workout
Read the minelab manual ( most)
Been out to the farm and all seems ok picks up a small ring at 12in
Both Nugget finders picked it up very well.
Planning a trip WA goldfields April with a mate who has bit of experience.
Been going out that way for a few years but never prospecting.
Hopefully a one day course may be available before the trip.
Thanks in advance Navara

Looks like all you have to add is a PLB for your personal safety and you're pretty much ready to go. Next you need to know where you can legally metal detect for gold. There are a couple of useful apps for your mobile device. The Happy Prospector is good but I prefer to use Australian Geology Travel Maps. Either of these apps can put you on vacant crown land or Pending leases. It's important to know where you are and if you are allowed to be there.

You've got good gear but nothing beats time spent using it. Theory can teach you a lot but practice will find you the gold.

I suggest a sturdy trolley, one with solid wheels. The inflatable wheels tend to squash up and makes it hard to wheel the gold back to your car. LOL.

At least a 3 litre hydration pack. The Camelbak MULE is the one I use. You will be able to carry your phone, PLB, scales, GPS, camera, etc in the pouch. You will also be able to hook your detector to it. It's a little more expensive but what is your life worth? In Vic here I occasionally go through all 3 litres, so a 2 litre one just won't cut it.

Good luck out there and enjoy the scenery.

Regards Axtyr.

Moneybox said:
The Happy Prospector is good but I prefer to use Australian Geology Travel Maps.

G'day Moneybox, am I right in deducing The Happy Prospector is WA based only? I'm sort of establishing similar ideas for a QLD trip so chasing similar info.
Cheers

LostNTired said:
Moneybox said:
The Happy Prospector is good but I prefer to use Australian Geology Travel Maps.

G'day Moneybox, am I right in deducing The Happy Prospector is WA based only? I'm sort of establishing similar ideas for a QLD trip so chasing similar info.
Cheers

Yes The Happy Prospector is produced by a WA guy and is relevant to the Western Australian goldfields. Navara didn't state his/her location but did mention prospecting in WA.

Thanks for the reply axtyr I Should have mentioned WA my home state.
Have travelled a lot in remote outback areas of the state ,so well aware how easy to be caught out.
Well equipped with all the gear for remote travel-but will add PLB into Satellite phone bag.,might be just enough room with all the extra gear I seem to accumulate .
Looking forward to learning from everyone on this forum.
Going in blind to all this but we all started there so not real expecting much but you just never know.
Cheers Navara

Latest posts