Victorian Goldfields. Push to be Heritage listed.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Via Facebook post....

Just at a meeting with Mayor Samantha Macintosh, the CEO of Ballarat City Council regarding the issues being discussed.
We are assured by the Mayor and CEO there will be no closure of our golfields full stop.
She has reiterated that she was misquoted by the media regarding World Heritage Listing.
It may become Australian Pemier Heritage Region.
This is great news to have this assurance from our Mayor and CEO of Ballarat.
Woohoo.
Media got it wrong and wasted all our time.
Well they are very mindful of our heritage and the value of the forests we can legally by our miners right detect in and the economic value to the greater area not just Ballarat.
I did asked about State overriding but there would have to be a lot of consultation before and they assured us access to our pastime, keeping bussiness open is the best economic option...keep the people coming to Ballarat and surrounds to enjoy our heritage and pastime.

That's odd to me " Australian Premier Heritage Region" is a term I haven"t seen in this discussion before every one else is saying "World Heritage Listing " so what's the difference

There are various levels (and read $$$) attached to 'Heritage' sites, but point #3 above indicates the level of difference between the two. :Y:

Hi wombat,good luck with all tonight,but don't get lulled into a false sense of security when (((they promise detecting))) in itself will not be an issue according to them.After looking at the Castlemaine site with main erea's being fenced and even ticket box's mentioned with carparking & walking tracks installed.But the thing now to keep in mind is the creation of WALKING path's & bicycle tracks is of concern in that with these installed they may be the only access into most area's of interest to (US).Can you imagine if some or most of the vehicle tracks were illiminated and then having to park your car in designated spots or worse on roadsides then having to trek in quite some distance or klms to applicable spots of detecting,the safety of your car and utmost your own safety in isolation must be consided as most detectorist observed out there are of senior age and would be disadvantaged to a point of giveing it away,if this was the case and from experience I allway's keep the car in site.Not being vindictive here but just pointing out there could be a FLIPSIDE to their generosity.
PS.Were these same people instrumental in setting up Paddy's Rangers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wombat said:
Ok everyone I got this yesterday from Tim Miller. Tim Miller is from the Office of Jaala Pulford MP, Member of the Legislative Council for the Western Victorian Region. Minister for Agriculture, and Regional Development. Deputy Leader of the Legislative Council.

Going by this we seem to have nothing to worry about in regard to prospecting and World Heritage thing. But we will know more tonight at the meeting.
wombat ;)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...24/1494974517_info_on_world_hritage_parks.jpg

Yesterday after I received the email from parks Vic I asked them for a map of the current position and a map of the proposed changes so that I could compare them, this is the reply that I just got back

"Hi Keith

This project is about how to support people to access and appreciate the Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park. The project also reviewed the existing Heritage Action Plan to ensure the approach to heritage conservation was still relevant. The project confirmed that the Management Plan and the existing Heritage Action Plan was still relevant (no changes) and identified specific areas of the park where access and understanding of the landscapes (and sites) for visitors could be improved, including opportunities to enhance sites for interpretation purposes. These actions have been provided for your comment.

As such, there are no changes to the area of the park proposed or any changes to rules/restrictions regarding activities permitted in the park (and this was never part of the scope of the works for this project).

Kind regards

Rachel "

Going off that xcvator...seems like the whole issue has been a 'communications' shamble, and the proposal should have been written in the same vane as your recent response...

Could have avoided a lot of readers from getting high blood pressure, and the MEJIA from mis-representing their position... :lol:

*EDIT*...it could also be that it was written as intended (open language) as any 'later' changes (modifications) can be drawn from the language of the current (original) proposal... Gov't are experts at 'semantics' and 'interpretation' when it comes to such Legislative changes... you don't have to look far to find a plethora of examples of us being sold up the creek... (cough...UN/TPP/etc..)

Wombat , I can't make the meeting tonight unfortunately. Was really looking forward to it too.

Fact sheet point 5.

Not true, I could name and photograph a plethora of areas whereby many differing management bodies have gone out of their way after reclassification to restrict access. These areas usually do not have any signage to indicate changes, first thing you recognize in your 4x4 or trail bike is usually
a. Large deadwood logs dragged over the entrance.
b. Small uprights placed deep into the soil ranging from 3 or 4 to many in series denying access.
c. Felled trees and limbs or dirt mound obstructions in series usually getting larger and larger.
d. Fences and gates with indiscriminate locks that cannot be accessed.
e. Permanent detour signage erected.

For anyone thinking some management of land areas have a right to disallow access, on the grounds of temporary or tremendous rehabilitation I agree, but the most recent in a newly declared box ironbark forest recently was obstructed on one of the trails that had been open for trail riding for many decades.
The method used? "Push felling" of many tens of trees directly over the track many kilometers long. This is the most recent example of many I have encountered in the last 3 decades, and certainly had nothing to do with rehabilitation, environmental responsibility or common sense it seems. Purely denial of access by any means available.

Locking up the bush and access comes in many forms....a lot of those ways very underhanded, without consultation, and in secret. Let your eyes and mind tell the story, not garbage diluted press releases.

OK everyone here is a report on last nights PMAV meeting on the World Heritage think and what it really mean to us. The meeting was a two part meeting. one on the World Heritage and the other on the proposed State or National Park that is ear marked for the Golden Triangle. (This one is now concerning)
wombat ;)

PMAV Central Goldfields Branch
Special Meeting held on 17th May 2017
At Maryborough Highland Society Clubrooms

Opening
The President opened the meeting at 7.30pm.
Bill declared that there would be no Central Goldfields Branch meeting tonight because of time restraints but would instead go straight to the main topics of the night. He then welcomed Mr Tim Miller (from the office of Jaala Pulford MP for Regional Development), Louise Staley (MP for Ripon) and Olly Oleszek ( PMAV President).

The World Heritage push by Councils.
Tim Miller
Tim presented an outline of why he believes the "World Heritage" push by Councils has been grossly distorted by statements from Councils and media reports that have led to a widespread misunderstanding of what the real situation is. He stated the reported $68,000,000 wildly incorrect and would be more like $22,000,000. He also stated that the reported 25000 sq kilometres was not a blanket cover but only related to the area of land under the control of the combined councils. Tim answered many questions from the floor and was adamant that the only sites that could be included are ones that are already under existing Victorian Heritage listings such as the Castlemaine diggings but mainly historic buildings. He went on to stress that at this stage the "World Heritage" push is only a proposal and that there will have to be extensive community consultations (including with the PMAV)before they can go ahead, and this process could take 2 to 3 years. Tim also laid out a fact sheet which had already been doing the rounds on Facebook and Internet Forums which clearly puts a whole new perspective on the matter and should alleviate all concerns.
Bill then stated that with all the information its clear that all prospectors can rest easy as there is no change to the present situation, ie we can detect as normal including respecting all the existing heritage sites as we have always done, he then went on to thank Tim for his attendance to which everyone gave applause.

New State or National Parks
The PMAV Victorian President Olly Oleszek

Olly pointed out that new State or National Park listings were being proposed (allegedly by the Greens) such as the Great Forest National Park in the Central highlands which would close off 355000 hectares in the hope of attracting thousands of tourists and thereby generating millions of dollars which seems to be a familiar theme these days. Also proposed is a National or StatePark for The Golden Triangle/Western Vic which would total 120,000 hectares, and he went on to say that an obscure survey in Canada is the basis of the $68,000,000 touted in the World Heritage statements. Many millions of dollars will be lost if forests are closed says Olly as there is evidence that State Parks drive people away with an example being the closure of the Eldorado C/van Park due to lack of prospectors following new restrictions. He restated that the new proposed State Parks will cover a huge area and he will soon be calling for everyone to send Emails to Politicians as they dont like this effective way of getting a message across.
At this point Louise Staley (MP for Ripon) gave her backing to the idea of sending Emails and also of being very vocal pointing out that the Greens are very vocal and we have to be the same. She also likes the idea of having one big rally on Parliament steps as another effective way to get the message across.
Olly then finished by saying that we are expected to accept other cultures but our culture is gold mining and they will destroy it if they can.
All guests were thanked for attending and a report/news item will be in the Maryborough Advertiser newspaper on Friday May 19th

Meeting Ended 8.38pm

I do not like that second last word.
Bill then stated that with all the information its clear that all prospectors can rest easy as there is no change to the present situation,
Neither this,
Also proposed is a National or StatePark for The Golden Triangle/Western Vic which would total 120,000 hectares.
I have a gut felling Wombat.

Hi Tathradj The World Heritage thing seem to be OK for us as it stands. As you know we can not detect Heritage sites anyway, and that is the only sites that they are hoping to get firstly listed from State Heritage to National then World Heritage. This they think will take two or more years. My personal opinion I don't think this World Heritage listing will ever happen. National listing, yes may be but not World.

Our Bigger problem now is these proposed State or National Park for the Golden Triangle via the Central west Forest Investigation.
Here is a report from our PMAV President Olly Oleszek who was at our meeting last night.
wombat ;)

I attended the Pmav central branch last night we had Louise Staley member for Rippon and Tim Miller advisor to Jaala Pulford member for Western Victoria, the main topic of discussion was the Proposed World Heritage listing of the Golden Triangle. Tim Miller told us that a lot of the hysteria regarding this listing was due to media misinformation that gave the idea that the whole of the goldfields was to be listed. He gave us assurances that the listings would only be site specific ie the Castlemaine diggings, the Maryborough railway station etc, this did take a bit of anger out of the meeting but the Pmav will be monitoring any further developments and taking the appropriate action as required. I spoke on a much more pressing issue and that is the Central West Forest Investigation, there are initially 3 areas under investigation the Pyrenees Ranges State Forest, Wellsford State Forest and entire Wombat State Forest which could become State Parks or National Parks and we would be excluded from these, if these parks are lost to us the Greens have another 7 areas on their wish list Dunolly-waanyarra, Kingower, Bealiba, Moliagul, Harvest Home, Timor and Fryers Range. As you can see this would virtually wipe out prospecting in the Golden Triangle add to this the Proposed Great Forest National Park and Victoria would be a non prospecting state and we are being supported whole heartedly by Louise Staley. More information will be posted and a plan to contact your local politicians both upper and lower house will be formulated
Olly Oleszek
President

Nasty stuff this Wombat.
These Green's take over by stealth, Not proper confrontation,
" Our Bigger problem now is these proposed State or National Park for the Golden Triangle via the Central west Forest Investigation. "
That within itself is a very huge problem.
A note to all reading.
Please, If you are not a member of PMAV or your State Lobby Group,
You had better rethink your position with Fossicking in the next 10 years.
There is some nasty stuff the Green's have on their agenda and they will not
stop at any thing to get their own way. And if we do not stand up for what we truly
love to do, They will walk all over the top of us.

Owing to the rules of this forum and my standing with NAPFA,
I really can not say much more.
As I will blow my top and say some thing wrong. :8

Tathradj said:
Nasty stuff this Wombat.
These Green's take over by stealth, Not proper confrontation,
" Our Bigger problem now is these proposed State or National Park for the Golden Triangle via the Central west Forest Investigation. "
That within itself is a very huge problem.
A note to all reading.
Please, If you are not a member of PMAV or your State Lobby Group,
You had better rethink your position with Fossicking in the next 10 years.
There is some nasty stuff the Green's have on their agenda and they will not
stop at any thing to get their own way. And if we do not stand up for what we truly
love to do, They will walk all over the top of us.

I just went to join PMAV, you have to fill out a form fill it out and return it.
Ther fees are $50 per financial year, hmm a bit silly in this modern world. I don't want to fork out for 6 weeks then renew in 6 weeks for another $50.
Dunno what difference my contribution will make in that 6 week window.
Phone, magazine, internet, insurance sign ups just go by when you sign up, this financial year rubbish is way outdated.

Occasional_panner said:
I just went to join PMAV, you have to fill out a form fill it out and return it.
Ther fees are $50 per financial year, hmm a bit silly in this modern world. I don't want to fork out for 6 weeks then renew in 6 weeks for another $50.
Dunno what difference my contribution will make in that 6 week window.
Phone, magazine, internet, insurance sign ups just go by when you sign up, this financial year rubbish is way outdated.

Yes, that seems to be a bit of a problem with PMAV. They are losing a LOT of potential members including me.
Talk about shoot yourself in the foot :N:

Yeah if you sign up for a magazine or insurance, you can just fill it out online and paypal or cc it and bam it's done.
Filling out forms and sending in and having to comply with financial calendars is a bit old hat in these modern times.
I'm happy to throw $50 at them, I just wish it was more user friendly.

Latest posts