Victorian Goldfields. Push to be Heritage listed.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me personally the agenda going on here is atypical sidestepping from the real
truth.
Highly agree with you on this one Wombat.

" I think this guy is treating people like a cat playing with a mouse before the death blow. "

Patrick1 said:
Wombat, I live right up the street. Will there be signs inside to state where meeting is?

Yes mate just inside the main door ( High St entrance ) there will be a sign directing you to the meeting. It will be in the Members Bar. I hope there will be enough room for everyone.
wombat ;)

So why do we need another "heritage listing" when the places are already listed

quote "Any sites considered as part of the process, which is referred to as a serial listing, would be the most special of the structures and buildings across the region already listed on the Victorian Heritage Register and/or the National Heritage List.

To me if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and looks like a duck, it's a duck
cheers Keith

Good on you Wombat....I think its pretty clear reading the initial courier article (first post link by Ramjet) and this article the two quoted points don't line up. It's still 25000 km2 they were talking about, not remnant buildings or specific areas of interest.

If Chris believes it's an overreaction or overreaching then his quote is squarely to blame. You can't meld these two articles together concisely no matter which way you read them.

Again good on you Wombat for getting to the press, I tip my hat to you good sir in admiration.

OldGT said:
If Chris believes it's an overreaction or overreaching then his quote is squarely to blame. You can't meld these two articles together concisely no matter which way you read them.

As usual with 'establishment' positions...it's not what they do say that is of interest, it's what they DON'T say, but act upon, where concerns are raised, albeit usually after the fact of being 'pushed through unabated'...

He's talking from both sides of his mouth...

..."advocate Chris Meddows- Taylor has rubbished the PMAVs claims, saying that if the goldfields are listed as World Heritage, prospectors will not be affected.

It will be a very small number of sites that will be listed. The sites were talking about (to be listed), youre not going to be prospecting or mining in Ballarats Sturt Street, he said. Were talking about buildings and structures. Prospecting and mining will continue....

Then like any 'contract', he should limit the wording to be 'explicit' about such things, rather than use 'blanket' terminology as he has...(and the Taxpayer pays this clowns wages???)... UNLESS of course, this is just a first stage movement, but having all areas of (his) interest covered for future restrictions..

Dufus.. :mad:

And that goes for the authors very first sentence....I want him to qualify that statement...i am yet to hear of any 'prospector' claiming to take up arms over this (there were ~ 30 lives lost during the ES)....so STFU imbecile and just print the 'facts'. (Yeah, without that sentence, the rest of the article is fairly blase' & mediocre huh.)

I've received an email from rachel murphy @ parks victoria 99% which I don't understand ( which was probably intentional ) with an attachment setting out lots of stuff that again I don't understand.
Can somebody please tell me how to post up this email and attachment for your perusal
cheers Keith

Parks Victoria would like to thank you for your contribution to the Castlemaine Digging National Heritage Park Project. As you indicated that you would like to be kept informed of the project you will find an update below. You also have the opportunity to comment on the draft actions generated as part of the project.

Comments are encouraged until 25 May 2017, by reply email.

Community engagement

Your comments (provided during either the on-line survey or the site walk over) helped shaped the draft Heritage Landscape Management Framework Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park.

There were 265 responses to the on-line survey and 12 community participate in the site walk overs.

The Online survey sought information on visitation to the park and the values shared by visitors:

Comparing the reasons for visiting to the frequency of visiting revealed that those who visit for walking or hiking are the most frequent visitors, followed by those who enjoy nature, birdwatching, and cycling, mountain biking. Those who visit a few times in the year are primarily those who visit to go camping and to have a picnic or a barbeque. Prospectors predominantly visit a few times a year. Other reasons for visiting the park was to visit historic sites or features.
Visitors favourite places included Garfield Wheel, Eureka Reef, Spring Gully and Sailors Gully (Vaughan Springs),
A key purpose of the online survey was to understand the importance of CDNHP to visitors. Looking at five implied values aesthetic, historic, scientific, social, spiritual - Historic values were the most commonly mentioned, followed by scientific/natural values and aesthetic values. A place for prospecting was also an important value or activity associated with the park.
Management issues and activities were also considered in the survey. High priority overall was given to: tackling vandalism; reducing weeds; and addressing fire risk. The next highest priority actions were: information to help me find specific sites; better standard of access tracks; and restoration of specific structures. Other suggested management activities were: improved signage; interactive and digital interpretation; reducing weeds; and preventing disturbance from prospecting.

Site walk overs were an opportunity to discuss a range of issues and explore ideas more deeply:

Discussions referenced the multi-layered landscape and a timeline of pre-gold rush Jaara landscape followed by the gold rush period and the post-gold era recovery. There were also references to tranquillity in the forest, bird-life, native flora and the importance of low-key atmospheric sites requiring sensitive management. The diversity and range of sites was noted by some participants.
Benign neglect versus arrested decay of the remaining historic structures was a big discussion point. As there are many ruined structures across the park, it was considered important to prioritise sites and structures based on their heritage significance and visitor/interpretive potential.
In terms of how to interpret the Park, the following views were repeatedly discussed:

o Sites need to be clearly interpreted using a variety of methods otherwise over-signage will become an issue. There was an on-going discussion about the use of signs in the Park. There was some support for an introductory/information panel at key sites, but the over-use of interpretive panels was not generally supported.

o Illustrative maps were discussed as one way of visualising sites, linking remains, mounds and other features together to form a coherent story.

o Other methods could include: web sites, phone apps, coded posts, geo-caching as well as audio opportunities.

o Use of historic photographs where possible.

o Sites could be connected to the Goldfields Track by loop walks. Other walks could be done in a similar fashion as the park is very fragmented.

o Guided walks to the more sensitive sites.

o Important to utilise local community knowledge and their potential to be engaged in future interpretation.

Directions proposed in draft report

Analysis led to the development of key entry points into the landscape from where a network or constellation of sites and landscapes could be accessed. This was based on existing access and visitor facilities as well as opportunities for future use and the potential for site and other forms of interpretation. The hubs of the three identified constellations are:

Northern constellation: Garfield /Forest Creek

Central constellation: Spring Gully Eureka

Southern constellation: Vaughan Springs Irishtown

The gold-mining landscapes in each of the three constellation areas have been categorised according to their level of access and use. This dictates the level of action within each landscape including conservation management actions, the type of trail to be developed or maintained and the accompanying on-site interpretation where appropriate and other interpretive materials. The actions in each of the constellation areas are designed to achieve the following objectives:

1. Heritage: conserve the significant heritage features of the park.

2. Aboriginal connections: recognise and celebrate indigenous connections to the park and the wider landscape.

3. Experiencing: allow visitors to experience the full story of the heritage landscape through a range of sites that introduce the main interpretive themes and stories.

4. Recovering forest: highlight the importance of the recovering forest and contributions that can be made to help improve the habitat and future regeneration of the Box-Ironbark forest.

5. Community: seek ways of involving the local community in shaping the future management and interpretation of the CDNHP.

The draft report is of considerable length and detail. As such, the proposed Action Plan (Table 15) is attached for your consideration and comment.

R M

Manager Regional Delivery

Northern Victoria Region

The attachment is freaking huge.
If any one wants it, Please PM me.
I have highlighted some very disturbing
statement's about prospecting.

Talk about 'double dutch'...

per;.."A key purpose of the online survey was to understand the importance of CDNHP to visitors. Looking at five implied values aesthetic, historic, scientific, social, spiritual - Historic values were the most commonly mentioned, followed by scientific/natural values and aesthetic values. A place for prospecting was also an important value or activity associated with the park.
Management issues and activities were also considered in the survey. High priority overall was given to: tackling vandalism; reducing weeds; and addressing fire risk. The next highest priority actions were: information to help me find specific sites; better standard of access tracks; and restoration of specific structures. Other suggested management activities were: improved signage; interactive and digital interpretation; reducing weeds; and preventing disturbance from prospecting.

I also find dubious the 'frequency' rate of prospector engagement with the bush...if your only talking 'visitors' fine... but the 'locals' also add benefit to the local community...buy smoko @ Dunolly Bakery, supplies at the supermarket, petrol from the local servo, etc et al....if i am blocked from prospecting, those expenditures will flow to my other hobbies, of which there is little support of here where i am...

Biting the nose to spite the face seems appropriate....though i do look forward with anticipation of the "..better standard of access tracks" and the possibilities that conjures in my mind, :p

Tathradj what's the publication date of that email /attachment. With a closing date of the 25th May it doesn't offer much as of today's date :N:

I'll pm you for the whole attachment.

RM Outback said:
Tathradj what's the publication date of that email /attachment. With a closing date of the 25th May it doesn't offer much as of today's date :N:

I'll pm you for the whole attachment.
The email was sent to me yesterday, there is no publishing date on it , only the date it was sent , I forwarded it on to Tath so he could post it up

Ok everyone I got this yesterday from Tim Miller. Tim Miller is from the Office of Jaala Pulford MP, Member of the Legislative Council for the Western Victorian Region. Minister for Agriculture, and Regional Development. Deputy Leader of the Legislative Council.

Going by this we seem to have nothing to worry about in regard to prospecting and World Heritage thing. But we will know more tonight at the meeting.
wombat ;)

1494974517_info_on_world_hritage_parks.jpg

Latest posts