Very Old Door Handle?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was out on a farmers property in far north Queensland - the owner gave me permission to prospect on it after having seen me panning on a creek nearby. He mentioned a dry run off that he thinks might once have been the location of an old gold mine, but he wasn't sure. Did say that a fella went through with a detector once and found a very old looking bullet shell.

In any case I thought I'd take a look (didn't have detector with me, just planned on sampling some dirt with the pan) and soon enough came across the run off he had mentioned. Followed it up a little and came across a very rocky area. Started removing some of the rocks and saw this poking out of the ground. Was extremely dirty/rusted, brought it home and cleaned it up a bit with the wire wheel. Looks to me like some kind of old fancy door handle - but seems like an odd place to find it, middle of nowhere - very rocky terrain, hills all over the place.

Can anyone confirm whether or not this was an old door handle?

1389503917__img_0895.jpg

Notice half the handle section is broken off, it would have been mirrored to the point towards the tip where the bolt sticks out.

1389504022__img_0896.jpg

Maybe worth going back with the detector?

Latest posts