Vehicle bogged, anyone tried this?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't be bothered typing so this is a cut and paste from another's comment, which sums it up.

This falls squarely into the "Good in theory, fail in practise" category, Sitting right beside the bush winch.
Actually the more I think about it, I don't even think its that great in theory, its an even bigger fail than the bush winch.

Lets say we're bogged(really bogged, not just sunk in the sand where 2 minutes with a shovel would see you simply drive out as in their video).
First up, we need an anchor point, make that 2 anchor points, each one lined up nicely with a wheel. How likely is that ever to happen ?
(And yes we will need 2, because we are really bogged and if we pull from one side of the vehicle only, we start to turn sideways and the ropes will jump off)

Ok, so the stars have aligned and we have our anchor points, lets start winching.

Scenario 1, We have an open diff, one wheel spun, the other didn't, it pulled us out of line with the anchor points and the ropes jumped off. So now I have one set of ropes tangled around my diff, time have to crawl under and untangle it. Bugger !!

Scenario 2, we have a LSD/locked diff, both sides pull evenly, and then the front catches in a rut, turns us out of alignment and the ropes jump off..... Bugger !!

Scenario 3, the stars have stayed aligned and we're out !! Hooray, lets grab the jack and jack each side up and pull the ropes off....... hmmm hang on, if we have to jack it anyway, why didn't we just jack it and pack under the tyres and drive out in the first place ???

There may well be a rare occasion where this system might work, But, you would be far better off to carry a good long handled shovel and a decent jack(and jacking plate). A bit of shovelling or jack n pack(or both) will see you on your way most times.

It's nothing new to winch a vehicle out by the tires. It's a rehashed idea like the maxtrax as an alternative to waffle boards. It's not something I've needed to do but it's good to know how to winch yourself out using a rope or snatch strap if the stars align so to speak and you're ill prepared (ie. no winch). Might make sense for someone who doesn't want to have an electric winch mounted to their 4x4 for a once a year outing to the bush but there's better options IMO. I carry a hand winch. Much more versatile than an electric winch and deadset reliable.
103434.jpg
Able to pull a vehicle in all directions and less weight to lug around. I can also leave it at home when I'm not out four wheeling.

It's called A HIGH LIFT!
AKA a "suicide jack" it's simple, cheep, light, reliable it can lift, spread, clamp, cut and winch' possibly a ton of other uses but the main use Iv used it for is to lift and winch.
There a heap of assesories kits from different manufacturers to use the high lift for and why would you need anything else...
I'll admit all the uses are slow going but it gets the job done.
For an example a front mount winch? What if I need to winch backwards.... Iv had a $2200 warn winch I used it once in 5 years.
Don't even think about a high lift if you can't handle gettin hit on the mouth as it'll get ya!!

2nd on my list "nuggetino's suggestion" the Hand winch, a bit fiddley but more versatile than a front mount.

Lots of ideas over they years, for the amount of times I get / have been bogged I'll stick with a long handled shovel and use what I have around me. { a few hessian bags usually do the trick }

Remember these?

1421807153_capture.jpg

G'day Redfin, those wheel winches don't look the goods. I've always used a high lift jack, snatch straps, shovel and chainsaw. The bog out idea would work if you had lock diffs, lsd and the person didn't step on the gas. If one thought about how to set them up I think they would work. Good old mud chains work good
:) Mick

Have to agree the High lift jack is the goods for versatility. Unfortunately I don't qualify to use one of these. Being accident prone and a high lift jack don't mix.

LOL yep you can't duck and weave a suicide Jack'
Iv also acquired a Air bag Jack from pops shed many years ago would be perfict for the light off roader and surprising how easy it lifts...

They look like too much hard work, just slide maxtrax in and gas it, no trees, rocks or land anchors needed.
Ever heard the term K.I.S.S stands for Keep It Simple Stupid, suits me :lol:

I think it's meant as a solution for situations in which you need to winch a vehicle out and not typical sand bogs or short mud puddles. I agree though that simple is better. No electric winch for me :)

did anyone mention, dropping the tyre pressure ......

So

Tyre pressure
Maxtrax
Hilift jack
Ground anchor
Winch
and common sense

Who needs it
Waste of valuable space

When your diffs are already grounded, letting air out of your tyres does what.?....much the same thing as when its been drowned....a hi-lift will accomplish what.?

Winches have their place just like all aids....if you only use it once to get yourself out, whatever it was you used...was worth having.

I hi-lift in a long muddy bog hole is nothing short of painful when it becomes a repetitive struggle.....your first thoughts are....wish i had a winch.
You dont need a tree or rock if you carry a spare wheel, and fumy enough, many of us do carry a spare. Bury it and winch off it. A log or rock will also suffice if buried to winch off.

The old King-Gee TV commercial of yester year depicts a guy pulling a van from a cliff ledge using the principle of gearing, by wrapping a chain/rope round a playground merry-go-round, and walking round pulling the van to safety........the same principle works with a short pole placed over a star picket...iv used it....while it will work, it has issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-IYzKFntkM

I often thought how convenient it was having that merry-go-round near that cliff edge in that commercial....however, stranger things can and do happen. :8

Other tip a mates used, if you drown a motor in a creek or bog hole, and its not safe to start your going to pull the plugs anyway, and you dont have a winch, is drive it out on the starter motor with no plugs in

Taipan said:
Other tip a mates used, if you drown a motor in a creek or bog hole, and its not safe to start your going to pull the plugs anyway, and you dont have a winch, is drive it out on the starter motor with no plugs in

Great for petrol motors I guess, diesel may be a bit harder.
Cheers,
Paul

Latest posts