Typically bad weather and fires

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The weather is crap in Tassie :( about 4seasons in a day but not quite snowing yet :eek: what's it like at you place ;)

37 degrees here, can't wait to get to tassie for xmas, would love some snow at the moment.

DD

Vic is no at the moment
snow down to 1000m
just had 10 minutes of rain and hail, now the sun is out
for how long no-one knows

I give it 20 min before it comes back

hot as and the wind is howling not good for i fire feel for the people in the line of the fire

No fires in Ryde (yet) though plenty of smoke and falling ash from the firestorm in Springwood. Hot day with low humidity thrown in.

Fires and wind is a deadly cocktail , hope everyone or anyone in the vicinity are safe after all family is FIRST ,the weather on the front isn't easing up .

I hope everyone is safe and well during this extreme weather. Please take care.

my mate just got out of bargo been stuck there for 5 hours said it was bad the fire is out of control and houses have been lost it is chaos on the freeway the police do not know what is going on my mate said it was like war zone a lot of people have lost every thing bargo has been hit don't know how bad

people stuck on freeway are going to be in bad way the traffic is piling up no way around this part of the country the fire is most likely going to burn to the coast only bush no way to stop it

And this is the unfortunate thing that happens when Mr. and Mrs Smith bitch and moan about the smoke from back burning affecting little Johnnys asthma every time it is planned to happen and then forced to be cancelled because of the smoke concerns. Then guess who the first people to complain are when the fires rip through the huge amounts of fuel on he ground.
That and the greenies locking up all the gates from us recreational people who go in to these forests and when we 4wd, we are in fact helping to keep fire trails clear.

And catch and castrate the fire bugs who start 70% of these huge fires

Coming from a 8 year serving Rural FireFighter

Just finished a 21 hour shift with FRNSW.....19 years as a Firefighters......this was the most destructive fire i have been involved with total destruction (wyong fires) thousands of native animals lost.
All our task force could do was chase the fires. No sooner had we saved a row of house on one street
We were defending another street 500 metres away.
At 1am on Friday morning humidity was a low 7 percent wind speed 90 klms per hr from the south and the flame height was 30m.......unstoppable.........FRNSW, RFS AND POLICE did the most challenging job under the most severe fire conditions ever seen in NSW with the loss of only 5 house numerous out building.
1 road house and unfortunately the loss of only1 life.

I am so proud of my crew as we had 3 young firefighters on board at there first major bush fire.
As well as bravery beyond anything i have witnessed in a long time.
They never took one step backward .
One young firefighter said to me after we held back a wall of fire to save 4 house on a corner at chainvalley bay south.
"After the chopper dumped that last bucket on the fire i shit my pants i thought i was going to die it was so hot i couldn't see or breath..i looked up and you were beside me......thanks mate"

This young chap went on to save at least 100 homes that night with the rest of our task force.

We responded to the first call HOUSE ALIGHT
16:10hrs Thursday afternoon
Returned back to fire station
11:30hrs Friday morning.

All i can say is prepare your bush fire plan now if you have not already
Take at least a day's drinking water where ever you go in your vehicle for each person.
If you are trapped on the expressway or highway don't assume someone will bring you water or food.

There was 6 small towns villages totally evacuated in our area. That's right everyone was removed....end result only one life was lost.....sad thing was this unlucky chap had a heart attack just as a fire crew pulled up front of his house.
All roads were closed which made it easier for our crews to move around at high speed and not have to be concerned with civilian traffic.

Bit of a long story
It helps me talk about it. Still a tad shell shocked.
Cheers Thesmithy

Latest posts