Turquoise in Australia?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am just wondering if there are any known locations within Australia that Turquoise is found - particularly green turquoise??
I saw some green turquoise today set in silver jewellery and it was just so striking. I'd love to find some, but am not sure if there are any known locations to find it here??
I'd love to see pics of it if anyone has found any. :)

G'day Naynay,

Not a lot of Turquoise in OZ mate. In NSW there's only two places where its been mined to any extent. They got some up near Murwillumbah, and the more popular was in Lawlers Creek just behind Bodalla on the south coast. I've been to the Bodalla mine and the quality isn't really great. It can be quite crumbly when you try to polish it.

Cheers Wal. :)

theres allso some locs up near mansfield vic but it depends where you live if you live in qld theres not much point in comeing all the way down to vic for just some Turquoise

cheers HTY :D

I have found some nice blue Turquoise here in Vic. Good colour and quality but most of it is to thin to work.
Green Turquoise? The only natural green material is very expensive and more a greenish blue then true green. I'm thinking you might be referring to Mojave (Mohave) Turquoise? This is a popular jewellery item at the moment. It's not a true Turquoise. It's a faux stone, most likely Howlite that has been dyed. This material is often dyed blue and traded under another name like Turquranite as an imitation of the real thing. It does look fantastic & I don't want to put you off, just letting you know what it actually is.

Turquoise from Nepal often goes green with age and frequent wearing as jewelry. This may be the result of a reaction to acid and oils that are adsorbed from the skin.

Heard there's some in Creswick area, but have no idea where too look for it, and haven't seen anything like it, as yet, thinking its an urban legend almost, but if i find more info or anything resembling it, ill post!

Latest posts