Tuena and Tuena Creek NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got caught out last year in Winter time.
Took the van out for a meetup and thought, Naaaah,
The lines and such won't freeze as they are in the van.
Woke up the next morning to find even my Cherry tomatoes
that were sitting on the table frozen solid. :eek: :eek:
And that was at -5.

Now I pour my Billy at night before hitting the Gunny Sack. :D

Yep, Doug, that was a cold night, that's for sure! My swag was white with ice, and I remember that pond had two inches of ice on it in the morning. There was still plenty of ice on it at 2:00 pm.

Tathradj said:
Got caught out last year in Winter time.
Took the van out for a meetup and thought, Naaaah,
The lines and such won't freeze as they are in the van.
Woke up the next morning to find even my Cherry tomatoes
that were sitting on the table frozen solid. :eek: :eek:
And that was at -5.

Now I pour my Billy at night before hitting the Gunny Sack. :D

You were lucky it was only your tomatoes. I got snowed in at Thredo Diggings once and the plumbing in my camper van froze cracking the lines. I won't mention what the low temperatures did to MY plumbing!

Ok so pretty much just wanted to know if anyone had cooked on them with a fry pan might just take the portable just in case.

G'day Danielkrupski ,
looks like they missed the subject of your question , any one cooked on the wood burner stove ,,,,,, buy a portable butane stove easier to use than anything wood fired , based on heat control and hot handles,,,,,ROM has the right idea , when its around the zero mark , it needs to be warm , as butane has high boiling point minus 30 something thats why they use them in cigarette lighters ect wheres propane has a lower boiling point -180 degrees therefore high pressure at zero degrees, if you have a campfire then you have a source of heat , but use your intelligence , its to warm the can , not blow it up ! , I boil water and float the cans in warm water and to help answer the question, I use a fry pan on those little stoves I have 3 of them, next best is probably the dual fuel petrol stove but the convince of those disposable cans , carry 2 x 4 packs , so easy to use and it does the job, enjoy the ice

dual fuel is best , my 424 is brilliant , if you by a dumb chance run out of shellite, ya can drain the car (in this case motorcycle), so long as ya dont have some crap diesel
i have one maybe two camp stoves , i luv toys :cool:

1526075739_p1080354.jpg

I am going to Tuena soon. Does anyone have some hints and tips for finding a decent amount of gold and how to catch trout.

Mate Tuena can be a very hard place to find payable gold.My experience has been that it is best , soon after the creek has been in flood. But with things being very dry the opportunity to dig in areas usually covered by water avails itself :D So look for spots like that.There is always a chance of picking up good finds in the crevices that occur on the bedrock as well as directly behind(downstream of large obstructions. Don't be adverse to going up or downstream from the immediate area of the campsites.
In terms of the trout...I have no idea of the current level of the creek but I would be looking to cast crawdad lures in black and red and green and pink into shady edges of water holes ..let them float downstream and jiggle them a bit to get them active. I would be looking for any running water cascading into a pool. There...I would cast upstream and then allow the lure to be taken up by the current and tumble down into the next pond give it a bit of a jiggle and see what happens..above all be patient and have a good time..cheers Rossco :cool:

Goody2shoes...Tuena is about 50k's north of Crookwell NSW, and flows into the Abercrombie River. It is a Mecca of a place for many prospectors especially those with a family ...where the kids can have a great time swimm'n and Pan'in there are many tracks...last time Iwas there where you can gain access to some good gold if your willing to dig for it...and I mean DIG! FOR IT! :cool:

bs350 said:
I am going to Tuena soon. Does anyone have some hints and tips for finding a decent amount of gold and how to catch trout.
You may have to take alot of water with you so the trout have something to swim in , its been dry in that region for awhile. The only way to find a decent amount of gold is to spend a decent amount of time working for it , tuenas a great place you will enjoy it .

yep, as others have said, Tuena can repay hard work and lots of digging! There is good gold to be had, but the chunkier stuff is not sitting around on the surface waiting for you to pick it up. Take a walk up and down the creek, and do lots of test panning to get the hang of the place. Look for spots with losts of ironstone.

bs350 said:

Thanks every one !! Tuena is dry a few water holes left !! We were so lucky this trip found a descent size hole where a few different blocks have been digging ,first day running 50 buckets it was just under average for the creek so the wife tested back at where the hole had been started well she was spot on as always ! so the days got better as we dug and ran for 14 days at 50 buckets a day plus a few days off as well ! just over average per day ,water hole just lasted us for the trip away .PS for shallow water use a piece of pipe 40mm diameter about 500mm long cut slots in it with a grinder glue a cap on one end and a thread on the other end to suit your pump line rap fly screen around pipe to cover slots you can buy them ,their called spear points for bore water pumps

Latest posts