Tuena and Tuena Creek NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After all of the forums I've read about Tuena I think it's now hi-time I made a visit there. After researching for a bit I've decided to go just south (within 10kms) of the town around some of the old mine sites for some sluicing. Before I do I was hoping that you guys could tell me if there are any places I shouldn't go ie places that are banned to gold prospecting?? Just don't want to get onto the wrong side of the law. And since I'm asking maybe someone could shed some light on areas where I may have a better chance of finding some gold. Just a general area would be great.

A lot of flood gold can be found around Limestone creek and around the camping area,
the whole area has colour just walk the creek and you will see where other people have been digging
Take your time and test pan as you go,there are still some spots that need to be dug...
Don't go up limestone creek as it runs into private land,you can cross the tuena creek
at the camping ground go through the gate making sure that you shut it as there is
cattle on this part of the common lots of the creek to play in there.....
Happy Hunting GR....

Hi Myles , the creek is some 45 km long , but its a matter of accessable points, which is limited the more south you go. Mt Costigan Rd & Peel Rd are the bridge crossings. The majorty if not all is through private property on the Bathurst Rd side.
Also the creek is a bit high in the last 3 weeks , so accessablity in the creek it self is limited at the moment, unless you take your wetsuit

Cheers Paul

My wife and I are on holidays so we went for a ride to a little place called Tuena. The local lady offering advice on information wasn't so helpful on any advice (about fossicking and detecting) and it amazes me that such attitude should prevail as the visitors come to town, spend their money and provide economy for store keepers that otherwise may not get as many passersby. But there was a bright light at the end of the tunnel. I came across a person IN A STREAM with a Highbanker and I got lots of tips about its use. I have built one at home but as yet haven't taken it on its maiden voyage.
Any way I got lots of tips as I said and was shown how to read the creek to see where the gold might be deposited because of the water flow. It was truly a great discussion and SHE EVEN SHOWED ME HER GOLD. Yes a woman all rugged up in all the gear to keep the cold out had been doing this since February and has accumulated a nice little stash of the yellow stuff. Good on her I say. The rest of the trip was great too. (Neville, Blaney, Trunkley, Tuena and then back to Cowra.)
I didn't get your name but if you read this, then thanks for a great talk and I hope you find lots more. You work damn hard at it I expect. Good on ya.

The lady in the creek would be Mary-Ann. Yep, she and partner have been at Tuena since Feb - they stopped for a week and stayed a lot longer. Very friendly; loves a chin-wag but alas she is not a member of this forum.

Mary Anne and partner from gippsland I think. She digs in the middle of the creek. Really nice people. Only recently she got a highbanker befor that was all pan work. And she done a lot of it up and down the creek you could see where she had been. Pretty deep in some places too. Hence the waders

I think I met them once...she had done a hell of an amount of digging in the middle of the creek, I was really surprised.

WOOOOOOWWWWWWWW. Thanks fellas for your replies and telling me who the lady was. It really has made my day that you all know her. For someone who spends so much time in that creek she deserves all she finds......and some. Thanks for all your info. Isnt it amazing.....we never really know how what we do and what we say can impress other ordinary people around us. There's a lesson there to be learnt me thinks.

I was out there last week and it was running enough to run a stream sluice I will be going out there tomorrow arvo till Friday

Bing

Hopefully she has left some gold for me she been there for ages and now a highbanker. Last time I was down there the pump was playing up. She a determined lady. Good on her

Hi everyone Just a short note went out to Tuena last week for 2 days ended up with 4 grams with a nice little half gram picker the creek was starting to slow down exposing a few more rocks and crevices. The weather was really good stating to warm up. Saw one small black snake who was still a bit docile, but had a good time and enjoyed the countryside.

Regards Bing

Nice one Bing , hope to not see many snakes there, what general area were you in ?. I go in at Limestone Creek entrance. Cheers Paul

Not a bad effort there Bing, well done. I think we're in for a warm one so expect to see plenty more of those black buggers (snakes that is) :lol:

Latest posts