Trusty sand scoop is no more!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
After my last beach outing with SABogan, I thought something was amiss with my sandscoop, with there being too much angle on the scoop handle. Only realised today what the issue was, a dirt great big crack down the side of the support, plus various other small cracks in the welds. Just goes to show these scoops can't handle rocky conditions, and should be relegated to sand only duties (hence the name sand scoop!).

I could try to rebend it into shape, and weld some bracing on, but once the welds are compromised they tend to let go in the same spots only after a short period of time.

Will be looking at a full stainless setup in future with welded on handle, it may be heavier, but should be more resistant to bending and resultant cracking.

Large crack down side support

1422677918_img_20150131_144439.jpg

Front lip pulled up with stress cracks in welds

1422677940_img_20150131_144223.jpg

Pretty poor design when you look at that GP,.. imagine the stresses when you are digging and you can see where the bracing is non existent for the side support, all the pressure is onto the back of the support and the bee hive only leaves minimal meat for strength, that's why your front lip is getting stress cracks in it as well, they've carried all the stress straight over onto that edge and expected a bit more out of it all than what it could give,... did it come from the Just Dreaming Engineering Shop where they just throw things together and hope for the best ?

A lot of sandscoops are built like this, and to be fair it has probably been used beyond its capability, in relation to digging targets amongst rocks. Most sand scoops are built to cope with digging just wet sand, you really need something a bit more hefty when in rocky areas.

I actually attacked it with the mig welder on the weekend, so far it has held together - touch wood. :cool:

I'da welded a solid bit over the beehive sides next to the handle that had some solid around the bottom as well, just leaving room for the bolts to be unhindered. You could spot weld it from the inside through the beehive holes as well to give it extra bracing.

Latest posts