Top end detector comparison?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, does anybody have a link to a comparison between the top end PI detectors, preferably one not done by the manufacturers. I have been able to find reviews on all the major detectors but reviews from the manufacturers are obviously going to be positive while others may be from individuals that have nothing similar to compare them with. Comparisons between lower priced units and top end detectors would also be interesting.

detectorprospector site has a bunch of reviews on the latest machines..

I'd link it, but i can't link for another 6 posts..

Try this site. Its American but seems OK.

http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/reviews_metal_detector_index.shtml

as for Australia - not sure but as you have probably already figured out there are four main camps. Minelab group. Whites group. Garrett group. The rest or don't care. Bit like Holden and Ford. (FYI - me? after the HQ, everything else is just garbage).

In anything, detectors are not the be all and end all. consideration must be made as for use, location (which will determine soil and ground conditions) EMI issues, coils (a big often overlooked issue) etc etc.

As to functionality, type review and planning tool (but not branding), this WA site is quite good. Caveat - they are still a dealer.

http://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/compare-metal-detectors.html

In the end, I think you will find most folk carry a PI and a VLF for gold prospecting and a variety of coils. Bit like fishing- one rod, reel, bait and rig will not cover all areas.

Be interested to see what else you can find.

Thanks guys. I know what you mean about fishing Loamer, I sold off a lot of my gear about a year ago but still have over 40 reels, just hope the gold bug doesn't hit me the same.

Magilla said:
Thanks guys. I know what you mean about fishing Loamer, I sold off a lot of my gear about a year ago but still have over 40 reels, just hope the gold bug doesn't hit me the same.

:lol: oh - it will!!! Just FYI - we talk about Dunolly Vic goldfields a lot. There used to be a reel factory there for many years. Very good too. Long since closed however.

loamer said:
:lol: oh - it will!!! Just FYI - we talk about Dunolly Vic goldfields a lot. There used to be a reel factory there for many years. Very good too. Long since closed however.
Would that be the "Crouch" reel, pretty sure I still have one in the tackle box somewhere, quite rare these days (assuming it was the Crouch you refer to.
Cheers Tom

Latest posts