Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I notice the difference in some bought jerkies, some are a bit fairyflossy and gobbled up too easily (I think they are made from a meat paste, red food colouring, and gelatin mix, cause there are no fibrous parts to hold it together once dried)
Others take mastication and chewing to a perfect level of time and taste. I'd recon myself, not that I've ever made jerky yet, that tough cuts of meat would last the longest for chewing.

more than likely they used emulsified meat silver, that way they can put all the bits in it you don't want to know about :lol:
quite a few years ago i made mince jerky for a old couple that had chewing problems, just the same flavours but easier on the chew
if you stored them in a jar they would keep about 2 weeks without the fridge but only about 5 days in the good old brown paper bag

A couple of days ago we went for a hike to a spot we found about a month ago, lots of blackberry bushes and this time ripe fruit :playful: so a couple of hours later with some local apples, did a bit of cooking :)

Today the next step... had some pastry in the truck's freezer so thought I'd try the camp oven as a pastry oven... Make the parcels

1643535095_20220130_111913.jpg

Place in hot camp oven...

1643535148_20220130_112752.jpg

Lid on for 20 mins and plate up, couldn't wipe the smile off Dinah's face.. bit burnt on the bottom but still damn good. :inlove:

1643535286_20220130_115336.jpg

One forgets how good forages food is, it's been so long. Still plenty more out there as well, next time I'll have access to the infrared temp gun as our stored world will be here :)

silver said:
I notice the difference in some bought jerkies, some are a bit fairyflossy and gobbled up too easily (I think they are made from a meat paste, red food colouring, and gelatin mix, cause there are no fibrous parts to hold it together once dried)
Others take mastication and chewing to a perfect level of time and taste. I'd recon myself, not that I've ever made jerky yet, that tough cuts of meat would last the longest for chewing.

Yeah mate, there seems to be a bit of an art to it??!
I'm just learning, but I have found Topside to be the best for my style of smoking right now?
Friends said do Silverside, its the leanest...
So I did, and it had little flavour...
So my go to has been topside..
This cook is just trying a different cut and see hoe it goes!!

My jerky, to the taste is not hard, its chewy, and the flavours creep up on ya!!

silver said:

Just about time to get the dehydrator cranked up to get a supply of jerky snacks for coming season.
I use quality beef, less fat for tastier and long lasting jerky.
Nothing better to keep you going while swinging for a nug.

Nightjar said:
silver said:

Just about time to get the dehydrator cranked up to get a supply of jerky snacks for coming season.
I use quality beef, less fat for tastier and long lasting jerky.
Nothing better to keep you going while swinging for a nug.

Thought Jerky was supposed to smoked, more flavor and the warmth dries it out at the same time? Smoking also preserves the meat.

Dihusky said:
Thought Jerky was supposed to smoked, more flavor and the warmth dries it out at the same time? Smoking also preserves the meat.

You know what thought thought?
Marinate the strips, worster & sweet chilli sauce, put it in the fridge for a few days, then dehydrate.
Dehydrated jerky has the exceptional flavour, taste etc etc.
1644138346_jerky_002.jpg

Smoked some beef short ribs hickory and some cherry wood.. 8 and a bit hours later Sunday dinner was done. Tried a pineapple/ teriyaki glaze from the Weber book. Good as.!
Simple Greek salad and potato/asparagus salad on the side

1644138395_c82cb13e-8e95-4fe4-90fd-4d974a565746.jpg

1644138432_27393374-97d9-493d-977c-606de76c4473.jpg

Nightjar said:
Dihusky said:

You know what thought thought?
Marinate the strips, worster & sweet chilli sauce, put it in the fridge for a few days, then dehydrate.
Dehydrated jerky has the exceptional flavour, taste etc etc.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1414/1644138346_jerky_002.jpg

Re dehydraters is there pros and cons for best type of unit ? Cheers

Nightjar said:
Simmo said:
Hmm a good weekend for me cooking!
Got Jerky in the marinade for my customary 48 hour soak!

Debate here Simmo,
Smoker or dehydrator for the BEST jerky?

Ahh mate....
difficult one...
I am going to say smoker!!!?

We do our limes and fruits in the air fryer..

Why not both?
I have seen recipes that start the jerky in a low temp smoker to get the smoky flavour and then finish it off in a dehydrator to desired doneness.

I think it is just a personal preference with which method you use.
Both methods are just removing moisture from the meat to prevent bacteria growth

This batch I am doing now is swaying from my tried and true recipe!!!
If it works, I'll send you some!!

Latest posts