Today I Saw a Native Animal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know the circumstances of those two, but I'd suspect they've suffered lasting wing injuries along the highway and have been rehabbed but cannot be released into the wild.

Unfortunately, the highway is the graveyard for many eagles, which are attracted to the never-ending carrion supply from kangaroo and emu roadkill. With their massive wingspan, eagles can't quickly fly off when a vehicle approaches and even if they aren't killed on impact, the blast of wind (especially from the huge trucks), will often knock them out of the air, leaving them broken and bleeding by the roadside, to die a slow death in the heat and dust.
Phil, Years ago there was a campaign here in WA regarding the loss of Wedge Tails on roads. For many years we have removed kangaroo carcasses when driving the Goldfields Hwy. Wedgies are often seen around Leonora area.

I don't know the circumstances of those two, but I'd suspect they've suffered lasting wing injuries along the highway and have been rehabbed but cannot be released into the wild.

Unfortunately, the highway is the graveyard for many eagles, which are attracted to the never-ending carrion supply from kangaroo and emu roadkill. With their massive wingspan, eagles can't quickly fly off when a vehicle approaches and even if they aren't killed on impact, the blast of wind (especially from the huge trucks), will often knock them out of the air, leaving them broken and bleeding by the roadside, to die a slow death in the heat and dust.

I think they are learning to live with the passing vehicles. Perhaps all the old birds are being knocked off but now we see a lot of them that stay standing beside the road as the traffic flies past. These might just be the young ones that have grown up living with the fast highway traffic.

In the past they were accused of being sheep killers and the farmers persecuted them relentlessly, now from research we know they are not a risk to healthy sheep and farmers are learning that they are an essential component to a healthy eco system and to me thats progress for both us and the Eagles ..

I think they are learning to live with the passing vehicles. Perhaps all the old birds are being knocked off but now we see a lot of them that stay standing beside the road as the traffic flies past. These might just be the young ones that have grown up living with the fast highway traffic.
Another possibility is that there are fewer of them in the area than there used to be. Owing to the lack of trees, eagles across the Nullarbor used to build their nests on the telegraph poles along the transline (trans-Australia railway). Despite conservationist protests, these poles were removed during the 1990's, when the adoption of satellite comms links for the railway rendered the old wire system obsolete.

Wedge-Tailed-Eagles-on-Transline.jpg

The story of the 2 eagles at Cocklebiddy is written up there somewhere. I think it’s on the front of the building, in front of the cage. I found it interesting, and yes they were both injured one local & one came down from up north of WA. Anyone I know that is crossing the Nullarbor I always tell them to call in & have a look.

While we are talking about Wedgetails;
Years ago I was on a bush hike walking around the rim of a breakaway and low and behold below me was a Wedgy nest on top of one of the common pine like trees (name has slipped me, hopefully someone **Phil- Moneybox** can recall species? Circling above me were two Wegies obviously mum & dad keeping an eye on what was happening below. Fortunately I had my camera with me and managed a couple of pics of the sole chick, quality not the best, 25+ years old. You can vision the tree was probably about 10 metres tall and the nest was probably only a few metres metres below where I was standing on edge of the breakaway. This youngster was probabl almost ready to take his/her first flight.

wedgetail.jpg

wedgetail2.jpg

Birds in the bush. Hung a log under our shower shack tanks back in the 90's the Ringnecks/28's loved it, moved in every year producing new family members. Carol, my partner calls them "Ricky's boot," the call they make has they fly away or return.
Second photo you can see the log under tanks, it is obvious, the little buggers typical Aussies drank me out of beer.

Ringnecks_nesting.jpgPipelineTavern.jpg

Latest posts