Today I BOUGHT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally bought a Minelab CTX 3030 6" coil. Looking forward to hitting some trashy areas.

Previously been using the stock 11" and getting good at working out what is trash or not, will be interesting to see what the difference is with the 6".

Also when did Minelab move to Penrith, last time I went it was in Parramatta NSW...?

Last edited:
Today I bought the final book I needed to complete my Mike Wattone book collection, Quest for gold.
I’ve been slowing collecting the 5 book series for about 4 years now.
I lady I purchased Quest for gold turns out to be the authors daughter,
Unfortunately Mike passed away last year, as a tribute to her late father, she has decided to reprint he’s works, which will be available shortly.
I always wondered why gold and ghosts stopped being printed, it turns out the answer is in these books.

My fours book of the the Wattone series arrived today, just waiting for quest for gold next week.
Interestingly it came with a newspaper article of a prospector I heard he had issues with in the 80s within the pages.

Attachments

• IMG_3297.jpeg
    IMG_3297.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My wife just lay byed a Gpx 6 k about 2 weeks ago after her first trip to 1870 Clermont she loved it. Just found out today they have a special on save $400 or get a free 17 “ coil if u pay before October 22. Achievable but contemplating the aftermath. I flunked a similar deal with mine received a $ 500 cash back so jumped on it. Ok so soon 16 k investment in prospecting still way cheaper than my fishing addiction with boats fuel etc ongoing.Life changes quickly my best mate got diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumour a year ago and isn’t far off now sadly at age 50. Gotta follow your dreams and have a good solid crack whilst u can! Money is an evil necessity that doesn’t always promote happiness, especially when terminally Ill which one day all of us will be!

Last edited:
after having a chat with ozzieau i bought a nokta legend for the next trip to fig tree

got it from nenad should be here monday
plenty of ground here to learn how to use it
Let us know how it pans out SS. Recommend you take a rake, it’ll come in handy. Great place Figtree. Dave, Karen, Sam, Linda & John are bloody awesome people. I love the place. Like camping in a really big park lol. Highly recommended for a holiday if you’re going for gold or not.

while i had the plasma cutter going this morning mr tee , i cut a piece of steel out to make a prospecting rake
but the bloody thing won't fit in the gas forge (to wide )and it is too dry to light the charcoal forge up
i will burn the whole district out, so waiting waiting waiting
get one of these from bunnings mate and weld a couple of braces on it to stiffen it up.

1695455467580.png

cheers dave

I bought, the other day, a trip on the back of a Hinter Towing Truck driven by the owner Luke from up the Sunshine Coast down to the Goldie. Was money well spent as the driver was an excellent driver and company for the trip. Never felt so relaxed as a passenger before.
Seems I may have a full tank of petrol to digest somehow. Any ideas where to get petrol samples tested?

get one of these from bunnings mate and weld a couple of braces on it to stiffen it up.

View attachment 11262

cheers dave
yep looked at them dave ,but you know how it is mate
have fire will play :)
it will be something like a mcleod tool with a different spin on it :rolleyes:
showering here at the moment so maybe able to kick charcoal forge into gear later
how is the forge build going mate looking the goods yet

while i had the plasma cutter going this morning mr tee , i cut a piece of steel out to make a prospecting rake
but the bloody thing won't fit in the gas forge (to wide )and it is too dry to light the charcoal forge up
i will burn the whole district out, so waiting waiting waiting
Yes SS, very dry up your way………no rain in the past 3 - 4 months? I was amazed Figtree let us keep the open fires going. Especially with some of the brisk winds we got some days.

yep looked at them dave ,but you know how it is mate
have fire will play :)
it will be something like a mcleod tool with a different spin on it :rolleyes:
showering here at the moment so maybe able to kick charcoal forge into gear later
how is the forge build going mate looking the goods yet
yep I know what your saying.

and yes also about the sparks flying everywhere from the charcoal forge, it kind of works but the sparks,

and this time it is from real charcoal 😳🤔

20230919_094616_HDR.jpg

381042521_1535667377203563_811705798012327700_n.jpg

Last edited:
Columbia Hiking boots from Iconic, issue for me was finding lace-up boots that had no metal in them. Would have preffered the sturdy Caterpillar Boots but I couldnt bring myself to removing the eyelets and some even have a steel support plate.

I chased around Perth with the pro-pointer looking for the same. I usually buy Keens but I've had a lot of trouble with them opening up at the side stitching. I checked out the Cat boots and decided against them because of the little metal hooks on the laces.

I was running out of time so I ended up settling on another pair of Keens with better placed side stitching but I ended up with metal hooks on the laces too. Anyway it works out that it really isn't too much of a problem whth the GPX6000 because it doesn't pick up a signal on the side as easily as the GPX4500 did. The side stitching failed again so I think this really is the last pair of Keens boots. Last time I was in Perth I got the Mr Minute man to restich them and he did a much better job than the original stitching so they will stay with me for a bit longer. Perhaps I will try the Cat boots next time but I only want non-safety boots. I have a lot of trouble if my boots bend at the back of the toecap when crouching down.

Tonight I gave NANOCAD a spin. It's a free CAD package so if you're into technical drawing you might like to give it a go.

shaft.jpg

This is the shaft for a new project I'm toying with. I recently tried drawing it with QCAD but it was such a painful experience that I gave up. Tonight I did this in about an hour and I've never used the program before. The reason it went so well is because the typed commands are similar to Autocad which I used for many years. I might even consider purchasing the full package because it's a about a tenth of the price of Autocad and so far a pleasure to use.

Latest posts