Tips for writing long pages (& a computer crash)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ded Driver

WA is my backyard
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wrote this up in another (unrelated) thread, & thought it would be handy to have its own thread, for people to more easily find, & add their own tricks & ideas.

I have an older laptop (that I like) but it crashes occasionally.
When typing a long winded email or similar, I open Windows Notepad & type it into there first (do a 'save-as' & give it a temporary filename). Hit 'Save' regularly, like every few lines, & that way when your computer crashes you will only lose the last few lines you wrote after your last save. Once you have your full write-up, simply 'copy & paste' it into the forum, or email, or wherever.

DED

Yeah thanks mate....mine just crashed after half an hour of watching Fire Fight Australia while typing my blog.....You could have told me this and hour or so back and it would have been a bit more useful..... :lol: :lol:

Ded Driver said:
I just wrote this up in another (unrelated) thread, & thought it would be handy to have its own thread, for people to more easily find, & add their own tricks & ideas.

When typing a long winded email or similar, I open Windows Notepad & type it into there first (do a 'save-as' & give it a temporary filename). Hit 'Save' regularly, like every few lines, & that way when your computer crashes you will only lose the last few lines you wrote after your last save. Once you have your full write-up, simply 'copy & paste' it into the forum, or email, or wherever.

DED

Thanks DD, you reminded me that I use to have to do this a few years back and I completely forgot about it, Now Norton keeps butting in and takes over my computer and does it's thing and then I have to keep going and reloading pages of stuff, My computer has more issues having put Norton on it than I had with no internet security, bloody thing :argh: :argh: :argh: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

J.

Ridge Runner said:
Ded Driver said:

DED

Thanks DD, you reminded me that I use to have to do this a few years back and I completely forgot about it, Now Norton keeps butting in and takes over my computer and does it's thing and then I have to keep going and reloading pages of stuff, My computer has more issues having put Norton on it than I had with no internet security, bloody thing :argh: :argh: :argh: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

J.

Nortons is the virus.

Whisp said:
Ridge Runner said:
Ded Driver said:

DED

J.

Nortons is the virus.

Well I was wondering about that coz now I got more issues than I had before and it keeps butting in right when I am in the middle of something, And it keeps logging me out of all the sites like here or amazon and a heap of others and it might do that 4, 5, 6 times a day and I am on the verge of removing it if it keeps up,

J.

:) Exactly what I did in my bush power thread. I found crashes not the main issue but occasional. As I didn't click the stay logged on box, I'd type out, edit on the fly etc and by the time I posted it, I'd been logged off and lost the lot. Some sites don't give that option and time expire anyway.

Also, as I've been online since 8k dial in modems, I got used to typing in Notepad or MSWord and editing Pics off line. Then post when online.

Latest posts