Tibooburra GPS marks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chimpy. I also went up to Tibooburra recently. The topography is amazing and it sure puts you in your place. A couple of times I had worked up and down gullies and when it was an hour before dark I realised that I wasn't quite sure where my camp was. I walked and walked and got increasingly alarmed as it was getting close to dark and the temps were 2degs overnight. I did have enough nouse to note how to walk towards camerons corner road and from there I made it back as the light was almost gone. I spooked myself ....

Which brings me to a question of you (as you seem to be a knowlegable gps user). What gps should I buy to keep myself a bit safer? I have looked on the net about garmin etrex... what device do you use? do you have any opinions which is the best for Tib-like places inc WA next winter.

Thanks for your posts - I've taken a few tips from them...

G'day

Levytag, mate I'm an expert on commercial marine GPS equipment but not that flash on the handheld stuff, my car GPS has nearly been thrown out the window many times and is currently on it's last warning :mad: I did a lot of research and decided on an Ipad with independant GPS so it could meet several of my different requirements. There are some great GPS apps available (let me know if you want a list) and the ones that let you cache Google Earth and offline maps mean you don't need phone reception to use them :D
If you are looking more at a handheld unit then you might want to look at something like the Garmin Etrex. I have several mates that use them and they are a great, cheap unit that you can mark your camp with, turn it off, then just switch on and find your way back when it time for a cold one. Anaconda always seem to have them on sale for under $100, but you could spend much more on a fancy one.

Jimnyjerry, as far as I know it is still closed.

Cheers

Chimpy

Hi Guys,

I just came back yesterday form there. The Hill End region is lovely, people are friendly, the local burger at the pub is nice. If you want to enjoy the views etc, by any means that is a fantastic spot to just cruise around

...but unless you want to spend your time digging out trash all day...I would not bother looking for gold or even 10 cents coins

interesting place for relics if you are a fine collector, of rotten horseshoes, nails, bullets, cans of coke, VB, exhaust pipe etc

seriously this place is full of junk, the maps (Print or GPS that are for sale outhere are for tourists and are a pure diversion)

apart from that like I said beautiful little spot and great 4x4 track....just no gold (and for those who are telling on here that they found one...well you will never know id they are telling the truth)

fabs said:
Hi Guys,

I just came back yesterday form there. The Hill End region is lovely,

Hi fabs - I think you may have been to Tambaroora not Tibooburra if you were in the Hill End region.

p.s. there is gold at Hill End, hard work yes but its there. Seen it with me own eyes I tell ya :p The more people that stay away though the more for us "locals" :lol:

Latest posts