There's GOOD business and there's BAD business

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condor22

Mike
Reaction score
Some businesses out there really are great to deal with, others are bloody useless.

I have a caravan with external speakers to the DVD/Stereo. I went away on Sunday last, and when I arrived at my destination, I noticed the centre cover of one speaker missing. The van is 18mths old. Without removing the speaker, I did not know the brand, so I phoned the caravan manufacturer, Windsor Caravans. They told me to speak to the dealer I bought the van from. That dealer's yard is now vacant.

All I wanted was the make of speaker so I could source a spare or replacement. I found out that sometime in the last 12 months Windsor have been sold, moved their entire manufacturing base from Victoria to W.A. taking no personel and have no records of previous manufacture. This is crap, they just haven't sorted the info yet. Many Windsor dealers around Oz are no longer Windsor dealers. All they gave me was the name of their new S.A. dealer, Oz Caravans.

OzCaravans were helpful in that they suggested the speaker brand may be the same as the DVD player, which is Axis. OzC.... gave me the Axis agent name and contact details not far from where I live, Audioxtra. I took a couple of pics and went to Audioxtra, I was told they were wholesalers only, but we did identify the speakers and they said they would enquire to their N.S.W. primary supplier as to availability of a new insert, but that I may need to buy a pair of new speakers.

That was yesterday, I got a call this morning, to be told spare bits were NOT available, BUT that they would be pleased to supply me a pair of brand new speakers at NO COST.

POO to Windsor Caravans W.A., thanks to Oz Caravans for the lead and a BIG thank you to AudioXtra, Hendon S.A. for the new set of AXIS speakers.

Apparently Fleetwood Pty Ltd, which owns Windsor and Coromal caravans, amalgamated their operations to WA to save costs, and prevent duplication of it products. Might indicate that they had some finiancial issues, but still, pretty poor regarding the service and purchase records. If the van is still under warranty, you would expect them to honour any claims, regardless of whether an outlet had closed shop or moved. That's a bit like saying your Mitsubishi Triton warranty is no longer valid, as the dealership involved closed down, or moved. At the end of the day, it is Mitsubishi Australia that approves of disapproves warranty claims, not the dealer. I'd contact the parent company, and send any sale contract paperwork through to them to deal with, as they may not be aware of some of the dealer shenanigans.

It was even better than that, yes the cover shouldn't have fallen off but the warranty had expired by nearly 8mths.

BTW the speakers were $50 to buy, so being given a pair was totally unexpected and a real pleasant suprise

not that long ago one of the big van manufacturers was going bad.. they were getting back in vans for all sorts of warranty claims.. they then fitted some of them with new numbers and sold them on again...you can imagine the trouble that mongrel caused for the buyers.. this sort of thing has been going on in the caravan manufacturing world for years... :8

Latest posts