There Goes Free Camping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe if they stopped handing out billions of taxpayers money overseas the place would be in better shape and they wouldn't have to whack us with another charge...might be time to hoist the blue and white flag again..

Does any one know where one could send an email to let them know what we think of it? The land is public land that means it is ours. Why should we be charged for using it? I don't want any facilities when I go camping so I don't need any improvements. This is BS! :mad:

Last year, I stayed at the Karri track for 10 days, drop toilet, no shower. I ducked into Maryborough evry 3 days to use the indoor pool's showers for $3 - average $1/day plus 8kms of fuel.

I stayed at Inglewood Caravan Park for 7 nights on the same trip, for $100/week = $14.30/day plus metered power, which running a heater at night was $28/week = $4/day = Total $17.30/day.
For that I got, power and an ensuite shower and toilet.

Would I pay $13-19/night at Karri track when I go to a van park with facilities, HELL NO.

As to sending an email, although not a member CMCA, also Caravan and Motorhome Magazine.

But realistically, the best place to send or should I say BOMBARD with emails is,

[email protected]

Should make Denis' day

They say public land in the segment...however they are referring to National Parks.

IF there are any amenities available, you have to expect some sort of charge. Everything costs these days.
No amenities should = No Fee
Some national parks in NSW charge you just to enter the area....even before camping is looked at.

What gets me is a couple with a Winnebago having a whinge over some camping fees...maybe the payments are still ongoing.

This is just revenue raising nothing more. Anyone that really believes its for facilities is a sucker. Its pretty simple just do not comply. Dont pay EVER, if you do you are betraying every other camper. For some reason we have lost the ability to make stands, which is funny because civil non compliance was far more popular against much scarier governments. Only pay for things that a fair and reasonable. If I charged you $10 for a coke you just wouldn't pay. Same goes here. We need to toughen up.

Fair enough if there are facilities you could expect a small charge to maintain them but no facilities it wouldn't matter if you had a Winnebago,pop top caravan,ute and swag or horse and cart you should not have to pay anything..maybe we're not the free country anymore

It's a total scam to raise revenue and sure ain't aimed at the wealthy but fair (unfairly) and squarely aimed at the "Aussie Battler" .
Seriously, at almost $20 a night for basic facilities like a an eco long drop toilet..well all I can say they'll be the odd ranger disappearing down one of those long drops.

It make travelling interstate less atractiive. Isn't taking money into the state to buy fuel, food, etc enough.

I guess it won't make to much differance once the other states follow suit.

Cliff

Well I'm bloody well disgusted. I sent an email to the Premier in the link above with my sentiments. Suggest you ALL do the same and get anyone you know who camps or agrees it is unjust, to do the same. I guess I am going to have to sneak around to make sure I don't pay any crappy fees where there are NO facilities etc. I didn't work all my life and pay all my taxes and fees for one thing or another, to end up in my retirement having this BS handed to us. AAARGH!!!! :mad:

Told em also that they obviously haven't done the math on how many like minded people this affects....they don't care about getting re-elected again then!

A copy of an email I just sent to the Premier of Victoria, feel free to copy use.

Dear Premier,

With regard to the proposed fee for what are currently free campsites in Victoria. It seems ridiculous to charge such an exorbitant fee for a drop toilet. The cost of managing and policing such a fee system, will most likely exceed the revenue. Those of us that use such sites take what we need with us and leave nothing behind but our footprints.

Many of us are retirees or on low incomes, we spend money in the local community for food, fuel and entertainment. Adding a daily cost to camp will make such trips too expensive for many.

We will, instead go to other places that are still free and spend our money there.

In the spirit of "Eureka" we ask that you seriously consider revoking such fees and allow the people to freely use what is already theirs as they always have.

Place your name, Suburb, State and phone number on the email.

As I suggested above, and I have done myself, I finally got a reply to my email.
Although it doesn't mean anything, it's a start and the more emails sent, the more we will be heard.......

Here's the reply I got, (edited out my full details)

1394170806_vic_premier.jpg

Latest posts