The direction you take ,detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dug

Reaction score
When walking over a Victorian goldfield area detecting, is there any advantage to go E/W to increase the chances of intersecting a reef line ? .Looking at the odd map it would seem feasible.Rather than heading N/S .

Interesting I have never thought of that. Do reef lines always run north/south? Not into gold myself so I would not know but would like to hear what people think.

Cheers, DD

I usually find a spot i like then put my backpack down with a HI VIS vest over it so i dont lose sight of it and detect in a big circle with the backpack as the centre point.

Because from what i remember reading gold didnt just come from the reefs it also formed from dissolved gold into nuggets on the surface(ocean floor).
Detect everywhere.

Generally yes if looking for reef gold from what I understand but there's always exceptions to the rules as I found recently. Not sure what there called , Maybee stringers? But gold coming off main reef at right angles.

My advice would be to "research" the area of interest "prior" to going there. This will give you many advantages, such as who found what where, the type of gold found...(some fields have "tonnes" of gold but nary a nugget to be found as it's incorporated in the ore) and how rich the area is/was.

As to reefs, yes your thinking "can" be a good idea, but you may be just as likely to walk "between" the reefs as "along" the reefs and miss them.

Google earth can assist as you can deport the long/latitudes from reefs viewed and use a handheld GPS to use as a starting point to work from.

Once a reef is located, you are then best to work the N/S line to possibly find extensions of the same reef line and further enrichment's.

Much more, but you will need to research and do some study...like we all had in the beginning. ;)

Cheers
GGA

Thanks for the advice How much better resolution is Google earth than google maps satellite ?

I don't have the "subscription" version but using either will be good enough to get an idea of the general areas.
Give it a try and make up your own mind which suits you best, i only used that as an example of how to go about doing pre visit research, use what works. :)

Gypsy

Magilla, the link I posted describes how to get a key and where, hence the link.

What's the difference between the standard and pro version? Will installing the pro version replace the standard one or delete all the data and overlays I have in the standard version? It's taken me a while to set it up the way I like it and don't want to lose my data.

Cheers

I've got both Heatho I.e. pro installed separately & the overlays, my maps etc. just automatically came up on the pro version list.
One easy way to make sure is save all you kml/kmz files etc. to a separate folder first. Mine are but I had them saved prior due to the number of area maps I have done & needed to save before opening in Google Earth - the pro version may have "seen" these when installing. It may have picked up my compatible files & plonked them there for me or just copied from the normal Earth program? Either way they are there & I had no dramas with losing anything.

Differences:
https://support.google.com/earth/answer/189188?hl=en

Redfin said:
Magilla, the link I posted describes how to get a key and where, hence the link.

All good now mate, I missed the little note on the side of the link.

So you are up a running?

I don't think there is a great deal of difference when it comes to country locations.
Both google maps and Google earth pro show the same satellite images of Dunolly, in particular showing a fence
I ripped down some 2 years ago.
But my joint in the city are more up to date [ can tell by the cars in my driveway ]

I presume Earth has more features.

Latest posts