The CTX vs Deus vs Whites thread

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldwright said:
Heatho said:
Posting misinformation is not helping anyone, it does not take much longer than 1/2 a second to identify a goldie. The numbers are quite stable and it's easy to cherrypick out the coins, anyone stating otherwise is just plain wrong. 12:36-12:40 is goldie range, you may get a few screwcaps too but mostly just goldies.

Yeah there is a huge gap between picking up goldies and picking up pre-decimals. I found nearly $400 in decimals with the 705 in about 3 months but was wondering why I was not finding very many pre decimals until I started with the CTX. Blake sorry but it is hard to sit here and read what you a typing about the CTX and other Minelab machines as what you are saying is just not true. I will say that the Deus is faster than the CTX, witnessed this with my own eyes, but as for numbers jumping around I challenge you to walk into a junk infested field with your Deus with a GO Pro or something and show us all how the numbers on your Deus don't jump around when there is multiple targets under your coil. Just enjoy your Deus and lay off the Minelabs mate, as many of us are using them and using them well.

no ok your not understanding what i am saying .all i ever hear from ctx users are the numbers are stable at depth yet everytime i check with other detectorists in person and use thier settings and then mine the numbers jump all over the place .yeh the deus numbers jump all over the place to but one thing the deus does isnt it dosnt mask good targets from iron like the ctx does .

i will put every dollar i have that if you go over a trashy site with the ctx and try dig it out of every target .if i come behind you with a deus i will find so many more targets you have missed because the ctx dosnt like trashy sites as a matter of fact its hopless in trash .there is many videos proving my claims as well just go online and search them i shouldnt have to explain this to you when it has been explained and shown 2 yrs ago.i dont like being called a liar when i have worked in electronics for a aweful long time .

i get it when i say all detectors have some sort of silencer and you people tell me im wrong because your not electronic technicians so you would never understand what im saying and im not trying to force a opinion im just trying to educate you but some people are sop biased and so unopen to discussion there is no point me even going any further .

i understand how metal detectors work i could pull one apart and reassemble it blind folded and with the ctx i could put a faster cpu in there and make the thing work the way its supposed to instead of having these numbers jump around and slow response anyway im done with this discussion i shouldnt talk electronics with people who have no concept of it in the first place .

Goldpick said:
Personally I prefer using a single frequency VLF in the more troublesome areas like old house sites with abundant rusted iron disseminated throughout the soil, with FBS based detectors more suited to finding deep high conductors in relatively clean ground. Different stokes for different folks really, for every you tube clip showing the shortcomings of these detectors, there are plenty around showing owners having a great deal of success. FBS will not suit everyone, and there are some who prefer to own both a CTX/Etrac and a Deus for the areas that suit their strengths (Deus being more suited to searching for small/thin low conductors amongst iron).

Also there has been very little talk on coil usage to suit certain sites. To me it is a no brainer to utilise the services of a smaller coil to improve target separation and the response of the detector in junky areas. Less targets under the coil at any one time results in less target information the detector has to process, hence should speed things up to a degree. For this reason I always carry a smaller coil should circumstances dictate the need for one.

If a good deal of beach detecting was a part of my detecting activities, I would definitely choose an FBS or BBS based detector over a VLF any day. No need to ground balance constantly, or set up the detector with a multitude of settings to have it running with any sort of stability. You can go from dry to wet or wet to dry, or even straight into the water with little or no effect to the stability.
Whilst you can get a VLF to work to a degree in such situations, ultimately it will result in compromised performance on order to get it running satisfactorily. There is a good reason why most seasoned beach/water hunters prefer FBS in such scenarios, have a look over various forums and that will soon be apparent.

Ultimately both have their limitations and advantages under certain scenarios, there is no escaping that. You just have to weigh up where a majority of your detecting will occur, what features you are looking for, and what suits your budget. There's no denying that both detectors have produced a hefty amount of finds over the years to prove their worth, so I don't believe in canning either for their shortcomings - operator experience certainly plays a huge part in how successful one is.

Either way, I'd be happy with one or the other, or both in my inventory - as they say, variety is the spice of life. :)

Hiya GP, In my sites I tried every coil I had and It was just Murder with the Sovereign GT, Nothing would work and I could not stop the threshold Nulling out, I had about every coil there was made for it, To this day The Best junk coil is the Little Joey and the Platypus Followed by the 2 minelab coils, I had more than 8 coil for mine, The joey will Add 50% more depth on thin sectioned coins and it is A MUST HAVE item if you own a BBS or FBS machine along with the WOT coil for the Beach ETC, and The Platypus Coil for General searching as it is deeper than the 10! BBS coil,

john

PhaseTech said:
Every detector has its quirks, strengths and weaknesses. It's up to the user to work them out and get the best out of the unit in any given scenario.

No point arguing over differences of opinion.

i agree .

I don't think jumping on a person because he has found A way that works better for him, Having owned both machines his views have some merit,

I think the Real Questions Here Is, why Is He saying these things and what has he discovered that I have not and how can I boost my finds rate,

Saying one machine is Crap has 2 side effects, one it Pi$$es People off and 2 it does not give people any idea what the problem is or why is does not do a certain thing, The Deus is in fact an extremely deep machine and can and Does hit coins at 17"+ inches and coil for coil it will match or beat any machine out there,

I know this is an Aussie Forum so it is only natural that Minelab will get Pride of Place, But for SOME tasks There are better options as with everything out there, Does anyone Remember George Fury's Nissan Bluebird or What The Nissan GTR did to Aussie Touring Car Racing, People got that upset with those 2 cars That the Only way That Ford and Holden Could win A Race was for the Powers that Be To Change The Rules,

If we did that with everything then we would be stuck in A Rut, Having other Brands Push the Boundaries makes our Favourite Companies Try Harder and Give us Better products, I learned this lesson with detectors about 10 years Ago and I knew then times were changing because I have been around all these newer machines,

Heaven Forbid What would happen if someone Sneaked in A Bugatti Veyron Into Bathurst, He would be done before Smoko most Likely,lol

John

Settle guys, either we get back to sensible discussion, either that or posts will be deleted, or last resort the topic will be closed. Blake, your have made you opinion crystal clear on what you don't like, and there is nothing more to be gained from making repeated posts on the same subject, especially without expecting negative responses from others.

Back to the subject at hand please! :rolleyes:

Ridge Runner said:
I don't think jumping on a person because he has found A way that works better for him, Having owned both machines his views have some merit,

I think the Real Questions Here Is, why Is He saying these things and what has he discovered that I have not and how can I boost my finds rate,

Saying one machine is Crap has 2 side effects, one it Pi$$es People off and 2 it does not give people any idea what the problem is or why is does not do a certain thing, The Deus is in fact an extremely deep machine and can and Does hit coins at 17"+ inches and coil for coil it will match or beat any machine out there,

I know this is an Aussie Forum so it is only natural that Minelab will get Pride of Place, But There are better options as with everything out there, Does anyone Remember George Fury's Nissan Bluebird or What The Nissan GTR did to Aussie Touring Car Racing, People got that upset with those 2 cars That the Only way That Ford and Holden Could win A Race was for the Powers that Be To Change The Rules,

If we did that with everything then we would be stuck in A Rut, Having other Brands Push the Boundaries makes our Favourite Companies Try Harder and Give us Better products, I learned this lesson with detectors about 10 years Ago and I knew then times were changing because I have been around all these newer machines,

Heaven Forbid What would happen if someone Sneaked in A Bugatti Veyron Into Bathurst, He would be done before Smoko most Likely,lol

John

i agree with you 100% ridge seems you understand where i am coming from .i never meant to bash the ctx just point out my findings and as soon as i was i was jumped on and called a liar so i had to defend myself and now im supposedly the bad guy in this .hence why i think im just gonna stop discussing this.

yeh the deus is great at depth everyone says the minelab is deep ive found stuff with the deus at 14inches .

Goldpick said:
Settle guys, either we get back to sensible discussion, either that or posts will be deleted, or last resort the topic will be closed. Blake, your have made you opinion crystal clear on what you don't like, and there is nothing more to be gained from making repeated posts on the same subject, especially without expecting negative responses from others.

Group Hug :D :D :D

Goldpick said:

yeh sorry goldpick i just didnt like being called a liar .i will stop with the discussion .

Heatho said:
Posting misinformation is not helping anyone, it does not take much longer than 1/2 a second to identify a goldie. The numbers are quite stable and it's easy to cherrypick out the coins, anyone stating otherwise is just plain wrong. 12:36-12:40 is goldie range, you may get a few screwcaps too but mostly just goldies.

I have I say that when I had my CTX 3030 (which wasn't that long, I admit - a few months), I always knew when I had a goldie and not junk - there seemed to be no doubt at the time of detecting.

blakegarv said:
Ridge Runner said:

I know this is an Aussie Forum so it is only natural that Minelab will get Pride of Place, But There are better options as with everything out there, Does anyone Remember George Fury's Nissan Bluebird or What The Nissan GTR did to Aussie Touring Car Racing, People got that upset with those 2 cars That the Only way That Ford and Holden Could win A Race was for the Powers that Be To Change The Rules,

John

i agree with you 100% ridge seems you understand where i am coming from .i never meant to bash the ctx just point out my findings and as soon as i was i was jumped on and called a liar so i had to defend myself and now im supposedly the bad guy in this .hence why i think im just gonna stop discussing this.

yeh the deus is great at depth everyone says the minelab is deep ive found stuff with the deus at 14inches .

I have found some very deep small things with one of my machines with a 10" coil at the edge of my brother in laws house right next to an old burning pit, But I wish I could of had that depth Guaranteed Across the whole area because I am sure there were more targets there, yet my Musky did do well on the Coins there.

Nuggetbuster said:
Heatho said:

I have I say that when I had my CTX 3030 (which wasn't that long, I admit - a few months), I always knew when I had a goldie and not junk - there seemed to be no doubt at the time of detecting.
Totally agree, they have a solid signal and pretty solid numbers, it's a goldie magnet. :)

Nuggetbuster said:
Heatho said:

Yeah, But Detecting in your Piggy Bank is not A Fair test, lol :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ridge Runner said:
Nuggetbuster said:
Heatho said:

Yeah, But Detecting in your Piggy Bank is not A Fair test, lol :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now that's just being plain cheeky, lol. :)

Ridge Runner said:
Nuggetbuster said:
Heatho said:

i love the deus for goldies .as soon as i get that 80-83 come up most of the time its a goldie .metal detecting is so addictive .ive been pretty busy with work but half the time i find myself edging to get out and find that next target :).i just cant believe how many modern coins are in the ground that people just drop .especially $2 coins man does the deus love $2 coins :).

Heatho said:
Ridge Runner said:
Nuggetbuster said:
Heatho said:

Now that's just being plain cheeky, lol. :)

I do it all the time, It's the secrete of my success, I have a Black Belt in Armchair Detecting, I'm BAD :D :D

Seriously Though If Minelab could just Hot up the Sensitivity of these Machine, Although they do find gold, they would be Very good at small gold, because They can find Lead extremely Deep, So I would imagine that they would really Nail Small Natural Gold, And people are using the for prospecting with the Joey Coil, So I think if they did that the CTX would make the Perfect Accessory to A GPX in and around Mining camps ETC,

John

Ridge Runner said:
Seriously Though If Minelab could just Hot up the Sensitivity of these Machine, Although they do find gold, they would be Very good at small gold because, They can find Lead extremely Deep, So I would imagine that they would really Nail Small Natural Gold, And people are using the for prospecting with the Joey Coil, So I think if they did that the CTX would make a Good Accessory to A GPX in and around Mining camps ETC,

John

Some people do use the CTX for exactly that purpose. Mbasko posted up some great links to another forum about one bloke who has found 10oz of nuggets with his among the iron trash on goldfields.

Latest posts