The Chinese economy from Australia's viewpoint.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not me, thats for sure
even at my local small bakery i enquired as to the grain they use & if it is all Australian.
I was told the pre-packed bags for multi-grain bread may contain some imported product, but they use as much local grain (wheat flour etc) as possible.
I always check canned products for the origin (I dont use much, prefer fresh)

Goldchaser1 said:
Outback said:
Who here are still buying ~ made in Chinese food products ?

:8

Yep had a combo omelette and large king prawn fried rice on friday night,good stuff....

Mei Yuen chinese restaurant
98 brookman st Kalgoorlie. :perfect:

Bet all the ingredients were from Aussie , that's why you are still here :p

Ded Driver said:
EVIE/BEE said:
Thomo said:
I'm trying my damnedest to not buy anything Chinese.
i been looking for a small DC welding machine around the $150 mark but they're all made in China.
UNTIL I found out that Ozito small tools are from Australia..New Zealand. They make a very nice small welder.
I mistakenly assumed that Ozito were from China also. Anyone heard anything to the contrary? :cool:
Not mistakenly E/B
I have read on a couple of forums/blogs previously that although Ozito is an AU/NZ company, their tools are made in China, like so many others. I have seen how crap some of their tools can be.
Anyway, earlier this year I needed a cheap jigsaw for a weekend job while mine was out on loan to my brother, so I bought an Ozito.
This is a pic of the bottom of the box. Note it says 'Made in China'
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/12692/1593949040_ozito_china.jpg

I decided to go with the American one. Even at twice the price i figure i'll be better off. :perfect:

1594354377_welder.jpg

The Cigweld 140 above is a bloody brilliant little unit :Y:
And cheap at twice that price ;)
Ive been using one for the last 5ish years , tig and stick
Mostly for lightish work admittedly , not much above 6mm
Really light weight , over shoulder up a ladder, tough as nails and super smooth
I did make up my own tig hand piece though as what it came with was just useless.
Ive also got a $2500 esab cady and i reckon this is better.

Sandta said:
The Cigweld 140 above is a bloody brilliant little unit :Y:
And cheap at twice that price ;)
Ive been using one for the last 5ish years , tig and stick
Mostly for lightish work admittedly , not much above 6mm
Really light weight , over shoulder up a ladder, tough as nails and super smooth
I did make up my own tig hand piece though as what it came with was just useless.
Ive also got a $2500 esab cady and i reckon this is better.

Esab are associated with CIG, brilliant unit.
Reject Chinese made crap.. Keep it going fellas. :power:

interesting article OldGT, though not surprising.
Do note that Australia's Tax Office also pursues overseas income.
On another note, I have started adjusting my share portfolio to downsize or get out of those companies with what I consider too high exposure or reliance on China. For example, I'm out of the major iron ore producers. Not just for financial reasons or risks, but moral also.
I would like to see the Japanese steel industry pick up. They produce a lot of stainless steel, & are an important source of special grade S/Steel for Australian industry. They have the infrastructure, just need the economics to weigh up.

Yes Japan is our natural ally if things got really bad. Feels a little strange saying that.

it does seem ironic, but Japan has come a long way since WWII.
I remember as a kid in the the 70's the catch-cry of 'Jap Crap' as it infiltrated Australia. The Japanese have been making very good cars & other stuff for some time now. Its not crap anymore, & a huge difference from a lot of the crap that does come out of China.
We need to be targeting more trade with other Asian nations like them.

this is another example from last year of where our resources are used heavily in China, this one is mineral sands, specifically TiO2 for paint pigment, to paint all those empty/dud buildings they built to stimulate their economy. This kind of expendure & development is not sustainable.
I'm looking at mineral sands players very carefully
https://www.resourcesrisingstars.co...ilding-boom-paints-rosy-mineral-sands-picture

I do and will continue to buy stuff made in China.
I'd love to take the high moral ground but the fact is some stuff can only be sourced from China or as in many cases if it is made elsewhere it is unaffordable.
As far as food products go, when you closest town has one crappy little supermarket with limited products you buy what is on offer or starve.

Yep China make some crap stuff, so do most countries. But they also make some world class stuff that can't be beaten or equalled for price.

I hope it never comes to war. The mainland Chinese I have met have been kind, down to earth and have a good sense of humour. Supporting Australian products is a positive thing but alot of our problems are are own doing over the years. We might not like the way the Chinese operate as a whole but we can learn some things from them.

diverging slightly off-topic, but an interesting read on Australian/USA trade
https://7news.com.au/business/economy/us-investment-to-aid-austs-covid-recovery-c-1181021
This is an extract from that story;
"The report - commissioned by the American Chamber of Commerce in Australia - found seven per cent of Australia's GDP was the direct result of US trade and investment in 2019, adding $131 billion into the economy.
US investment in Australia accounted for more than a quarter of all foreign investment - making the US the biggest source of foreign investment.
"

Latest posts