The 4WD tick off list - what items make the list?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
first aid kit ,
Fridge fully stacked ,
UHF radio and
a heap of fifty dollar bills
, leave all other extras out and when trouble hits call someone and give 'em fifty and a cold one .
this way there's more room, less weight and less to unpack and store. Unless your going into nomads land its the way to travel and meet some helpful people.

Digger Danny said:
This is my response to post 18

You should never remove a jack from the vehicle except to change a wheel, funny thing is people go and buy extra spare wheels and all the you beaut 4x4 gear and over look a 2nd jack.(not counting the high lift) Most times jacks do not work because of no maintenance or lack of use, so a trip to your wrecker can normally buy a cheep jack to suit your vehicle or you could buy a jack anywhere as a back up to your main one they are not that dear. I have a $35.00 hyd as a spare just in case in my 2wd hilux. I know of people that have driven off leaving the jack behind after a wheel change.

I also think a lot of 4x4 gear fitted to a vehicle is just more things to break, a winch for example should only be used to get out of a bad situation not to get yourself into one. People say I can get through that I have a winch instead of finding another way and half through the winch fails. It does happen. I meet a fella that had a nice shiny high lift jack an an even better 4wd wagon that had nowhere to place the jack if needed without doing damage to the vehicle, when I said this to him he said their must be somewhere everybody else has them. What I am saying is you can have all the gear you want but you should stick to what you need and what you have the ability to use correctly and safely that last thing you want is a break down or an accident.

This is only my 2 cents worth and I am not having ago at the experience 4 wheel drivers that know their stuff.

Cheers, DD
I call that syndrome the
All the gear and no idea :rolleyes: :D , the shinier they are the quicker they get stuck , overloaded with extras usually sinks them :D

Too many things to get arghhh...not enough $$

So far I have OME 2" lift, added some Bighorn 764 Muddies and ARB underbody protection to the Navara.
Also have some ALDI recovery trax ( work well, already tested them out) and an Ironman 150 lpm compressor for airing up after the rough stuff.

Next will be bullbar.. probably ARB Delux bar + winch, LED light bar then dual battery setup with a good size fridge/freezer.
However the wishlist will stay intact for a while and wait for the $$ to stack up.

Being that me and the Missus head out solo vehicle...some places are off limits until we get the bar and winch in case we get stuck.

I'm hearing you Horse, all the little extras start adding up. I've got 10 months before my WA trip and ive made it a mission to every few weeks buy myself a little treat for the 4WD. While I don't want to load up with junk, just going through the thought process of "what do I need" has helped me prioritise some of the bits I don't have. My jack got me out of trouble but I needed a block of wood to get the height, so im gonna get a high lift version.

I don't have a modern vehicle, its an 88 SWB Patrol (Maverick), so had the air con fixed recently that hasn't worked since i've owned her. Mechanic was told about the trip and to change anything that may possibly go pear shaped on a long drive. Vehicle has served me well so far and other than the dreaded fuel bill she is a beautiful beast!

I'm in the process of designing the roof racks and will be practicing my welding skills over the coming months. She needs to hold a spare tyre, Oztent items and jerry cans.

I've read the pro's and cons of plastic or steel fuel cans and the jury is still out but I think i'm gonna go with the steel ones.

I know this is not the thread for it but I will put it here, use caution when refueling from jerry cans "Static Electricity" can be bad news if not careful. Place jerry on ground first and then you still have to be careful your vehicle is not charged.

Cheers, DD

its always good practice to touch the vehicle and jerry whilst standing on the ground , that knocks the odds down on static .

number one item I haven't noticed listed 8) but might be :rolleyes: is poo paper , beats the corner off your map or a page from the owners manual :D

Yep part of the survival kit. Gotta be prepared for any crap that happens. :D
1447910280_20151119_154505-320x180.jpg

lol cracking me up now....who hasn't been in a "problem" situation out in the bush. At work I have my morning coffee and am like clockwork.....in the bush that biological system gets a beating and comes at the most inappropriate time.........I don't know why they don't make cammo pants with a butt zipper, someone would make a fortune!

Its unfortunate the post has been moved from General conversation to Campers and 4wd. How to ruin a good topic! I was hoping some regular prospectors would give some opinions but its been delegated to this section. Conversation seems to have stopped....funny that .

No probs Ausfarmer, lol I guess I was hoping for some good ideas flowing. Yep painful campers can ruin a great weekend!

It is a wonder no one has made a device to be fitted to a vehicle for when black soil becomes wet, something that would stop the soil building up on your tyres, anyone that has driven in this situation would know what I mean.

Cheers, DD

Great topic guys.
After the first trip to Tuena and breaking down whilst there and not being able to drive to the good areas I realised a 2wd was not the best vehicle for prospecting..luckily at Tuen Twapster was kind enought to ferrie us out to the good spot they were working at..
cheers for that ;)
So my bucket list item for prospecting is to save up to buy a duel cab 4WD.
Im not sure what is the best all round vehicle but as Im still saving and it might be a good six months before I have the cash, its good to read through this thread and get an idea of what others think are good 4WD vehicles for prospecting.
My mate who is a mechanic swears by the mitsubishi tritan diesel 4WD duel cab.
I have been keeping an eye out on the auction sites for a 4WD repairable write off, but cant do anything until i have the cash saved. Budget under $5,000.

:( :( :(

I haven't really tested out the Exploder as a 4wd yet. It's got a bit more clearance than a 2wd, but it's not really set up for off road, although it is a 4wd. Seems to go ok. A lot of people told me they had a bad rep but after shopping around I found 1 with low kms and in good nick for a reasonable price. It had done about 135000 kms ish and I got it for $7500. No major problems as yet. Couple of little ones simple enough for even me to fix. Compared to something like a Landcruiser or a Patrol, they wanted a few grand more for a 10 year + older vehicle with over 300 thou on the clock. Now my cuz is into the whole 4wd scene and is on his 3rd or 4th Patrol. He buys them with 300 thou on them and tells me that diesels are built to last at least half million kms. But he has them less than a year before they die. I think he paid like 20k for the latest 1 he had it 6 months I reckon it was....it's dead. :cool: