The 4WD tick off list - what items make the list?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your mares correct with the tritons.Had mine for 15yrs. Put 350000ks on her.
Never missed a beat.Have a 2009 ford ranger put 20000and going good.
I personal will be chasing a 80 series landcrusier. Probably one of the best
4wd ever built. 4.2ltr desil put a high flow turbo, and no computer system on her.

Any Landcruiser is the dream for most of us as they are tried and tested and parts are plenty. My SWB Patrol was purchased for $4300 at Auction (salvage but was just a recovered stolen vehicle not damaged ) some years back and would probably still command about the same price so there are some cheap options. Landcruisers hold their value too much over other models which sucks! A payment plan is always an option on finance if you want a better vehicle if the banks like you that is!!

Twapster said:
Any Landcruiser is the dream for most of us as they are tried and tested and parts are plenty. My SWB Patrol was purchased for $4300 at Auction (salvage but was just a recovered stolen vehicle not damaged ) some years back and would probably still command about the same price so there are some cheap options. Landcruisers hold their value too much over other models which sucks! A payment plan is always an option on finance if you want a better vehicle if the banks like you that is!!

Cheers Twapster
Im pretty open to almost any 4WD
I prepher to save the cash and find a deal at the auctions, hopefully like you one that has little to repair to get it on the road.
Found one on greys on line that looks ok but its up in QLD so a bit far at short notice.
http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001.../2003-nissan-navara-4x4-dual-cab-ute?spr=true

Tools! Always are a must and personally think all vehicles should carry them...Spanners and adjustables, screwdriver set, 1/2" socket set and breaker bar, Allen/hex keys, hammer, pointy, stubby and vice pliers, pry bar probably missed a few good ones but that's all I would need to fix my rig anywhere :D .. Spare parts are also a good thing too carry like radiator hoses, hose clamps, radiator cap, thermostat even, coolant, engine oil, small arrangement of nuts and bolts if ya keen even stuff like rope, fencing wire, elec wire/terminal kit, tape, radiator stop leak(Never use Chemiweld) and my favorite quick-steel/kneed-it for fuel tank leaks, welsh plugs and busted radiators it does just about anything.

What I have listed should just about set anyone up too be a Bush mechanic! ;) See one too many backpackers and traveler's come into work with cooked and broken vehicles trying too find something to fix it cause they never bothered too put any maintenance or even have any preparation for the worse and hoped that their $500 Gumtree special was going too make it across Australia with no issues.

Cody

The only tools I carry are 2 bottle openers, as I have the mechanical aptitude of a house brick.
and I have Australia wide roadside assist [includes towing, repairs and accommodation with a rental vehicle during repairs].

Redfin said:
The only tools I carry are 2 bottle openers, as I have the mechanical aptitude of a house brick.
and I have Australia wide roadside assist [includes towing, repairs and accommodation with a rental vehicle during repairs].
What's with the two bottle openers Redfin? In case you lose one, or so you can have one in each hand? :lol:

Redfin said:

Yeah I got the premium 4x4 NRMA one, they said they would come and get me from anywhere if the Prado breaks down or gets stuck.

Heatho said:
Redfin said:

Yeah I got the premium 4x4 NRMA one, they said they would come and get me from anywhere if the Prado breaks down or gets stuck.
That's OK so long as you blokes have got reception out in the middle nowhere to phone it in:) :) :) The last time i needed help the RACV bloke just looked at my defender, scratched his head and said 'dunno about these things, never worked on one before' it was hilarious :lol:

Smithy42 said:
Tools! Always are a must and personally think all vehicles should carry them...Spanners and adjustables, screwdriver set, 1/2" socket set and breaker bar, Allen/hex keys, hammer, pointy, stubby and vice pliers, pry bar probably missed a few good ones but that's all I would need to fix my rig anywhere :D .. Spare parts are also a good thing too carry like radiator hoses, hose clamps, radiator cap, thermostat even, coolant, engine oil, small arrangement of nuts and bolts if ya keen even stuff like rope, fencing wire, elec wire/terminal kit, tape, radiator stop leak(Never use Chemiweld) and my favorite quick-steel/kneed-it for fuel tank leaks, welsh plugs and busted radiators it does just about anything.

What I have listed should just about set anyone up too be a Bush mechanic! ;) See one too many backpackers and traveler's come into work with cooked and broken vehicles trying too find something to fix it cause they never bothered too put any maintenance or even have any preparation for the worse and hoped that their $500 Gumtree special was going too make it across Australia with no issues.

Cody
so basically you cart a second 4x4 in pieces with you , understandable if your heading to the never never but wouldn't it be easier to park a smaller 4x4 on the roof racks ? :lol:

Average size tool box fits all the tools I mention, decent plastic container for all your consumables and that fits all behind my bench seat in my single cab bravo and that ain't a very big ute.. Lots of 4x4 come standard with good sized compartments so always good to make use of them by filling them with tools and spares.. I'm not saying you need a whole spare car on a trailer but having some certain things i mention can make a great deal of help too someone and there is plenty of other good things too carry that I didn't mention , you never now when you could really need it.. Better too be safe then sorry.

Cody

SCROUNGER said:
That's OK so long as you blokes have got reception out in the middle nowhere to phone it in:) :) :) Got That Covered The last time i needed help the RACV bloke just looked at my defender, scratched his head and said 'dunno about these things, never worked on one before' it was hilarious :lol:Then they can get someone who does know, while I sit back in comfort

Redfin said:
SCROUNGER said:
That's OK so long as you blokes have got reception out in the middle nowhere to phone it in:) :) :) Got That Covered The last time i needed help the RACV bloke just looked at my defender, scratched his head and said 'dunno about these things, never worked on one before' it was hilarious :lol:Then they can get someone who does know, while I sit back in comfort
Cool Redfin, now that's smart, i like your thinking, and it works in well with the bottle openers also. Chillin aint a crime bro:lol:

No Scrounger, not too smart, I have no mechanical aptitude.
But can make almost anything in wood.

Redfin said:
No Scrounger, not too smart, I have no mechanical aptitude.
But can make almost anything in wood.
Cool hey Redfin, you know my old man was a fantastic artist and a bloody great chippy and very good mechanically. I got some of his artistic talent, but barely know what end of a spanner is what, and FAILED woodwork (except when it came to handcarving) in secondary school.
I'd love to be able to fix things mechanically and build in wood but i missed those skills.
My son on the other hand is a top class heavy duty diesel mechanic that can fix just about anything, and was a chippy before that, but can't draw a cat to save himself.
Go figure, it's a magic world where everybody has an individual talent for something :lol: :lol:

Bought this at the auctions today, 98 toyota land cruiser prado glx $1,400 has a few things to fix and then put in for rego.
1449629126_image.jpg

I think first and foremost is buy a car which had good parts availability. Especially in remote areas.

While there are a lot of good 4x4's out there I personally would only choose either a Nissan Patrol or Toyota Landcruiser (I own 5x 75 series Landcruiser utes).

Cruisers and Patrols are everywhere and most auto parts stores carry the common parts for them and pretty much every wrecking yard in the country has a few of them.

Not dissing any of the other brands or models. I have worked in the auto parts industry for many years and know how hard it can be to source parts for the not so common 4x4's and the delays in some cases of getting parts for them.

Also every farmer has at least one Patrol or Cruiser on their property you can scab parts off of for a few beers if you get stuck out bush ;)

If you are heading a long way from civilisation a good set of tyres are worth their weight in gold. Something that has good sidewall protection to stop stakes.
A good quality tyre repair kit is also mandatory (at least where I live)

And invest in a comealong. Winches are great, but a comealong will do the same job for a fraction of the price and are far more reliable in my experience. Takes more effort as it's a manual tool, but they too are worth their weight in gold. Even with a winch I would carry a comealong.

If you have a winch or comealong and you get stuck and there are no trees around you can always bury your spare (deep) and use it as an anchor point.

Comealong:

1452803882_comealong.jpg

Latest posts