Have you encouraged your kids to earn a dollar, to buy what they want.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I did a little write up about this, but frankly I dont know where it may be.

A few months ago one of my kids, Miss 8yrs was ticked off with her school canteen, "bad service and not value for money".

I had been to one of those Psychologist telling us how to 'parent' nights at the school, and it was actually ok.
Not a ' you are a bad parent if you yell at kids! ' thing at all. Wassat :huh:
But it was explained that we need to get them to make choices and develop idea's, good or bad, then guide them if they make some mistakes.

So I said to Miss 8yrs... "what can you do to fix that", "take a few days and let me know"

She did... she wanted to start a shop in the school to sell better and cheaper than the canteen ! Facepalm :facepalm: I did ask for it didnt I?

That developed into doing a full business plan, market research, product research and customer surveys - still not concluded.
My shy little Miss 8yrs.

Weeks later we went to The Good Guys, and she wanted an I-Pad, so I suggested she earn the money and buy one.
"Okay, how ?"
I dont know, think about it, maybe a sausage sizzle, lemonade stand, hot dogs.....
"Hot dogs !"
Errr.. Okay.

My God ! This was the start of 3 months of research and planning, Health Department, Councils, looking for Venue's, product development,
training, taste testing hot dog combinations - 80+ hot dogs were eaten, acquiring equipment, finding product and public liability.
Getting custom made bread rolls baked, signage, transaction account for her trade, EFTPOS, supplier accounts.

On and On it went.
At the end of term we provided 60 hot dogs to students of the two classes my kids are in, for free.
We handed out 60 hot dogs in 20 minutes, with out missing a beat - our cost....0.58c each kid with custom baked rolls.

Well, last Sunday Miss 9yrs now, she did her first Hot dog stand at a show to the public.
She was given a great trading position deliberately by the event organiser, also another vendor chose not to do hot dogs when she heard Miss 9yrs was selling.
But there was a lot of food competition including a hot dog van and sausage sizzle.

What an amasing experience, she turned over 50c less than $700 in 3hrs, and that was with a poor crowd as it was the first time this show was on.
She had repeat customers, customers returning with compliments on the hot dogs, lots of pats on the back, kindness from other vendors.
An awesome experience for her and all of us.

We were so over stocked and over prepared, it wasnt that funny, enough to do 500 hot dogs, we sold nowhere near that.
Steep learning curve, LOL.

Today we went into the bank and she pushed a wad of cash and change over the counter, she was beaming.

EFTPOS banked $126, Cash banked $573.50

Who said you cant teach kids about business ? Our conversations are very different compared to hers with her school mates.
She knows there are costs for food to come out of the banked money, site rent and insurance too, just takes it as a fact and is looking to go to the next venue.

Australia's newest fast food franchise.... maybe... LOL Laughing :playful: :inlove:

1572512356_img_20191027_150635.jpg

1572512425_img_20191027_124127.jpg

:)

9 year old you brought a tear(many) to my eyes, congratulations and GH, I tip my lid to you Dad you are , in my opinion, Father Of The Year, amen.
Your children could not have a better start to life and showing them the values of work ethics.
Honestly, I am proud to know you.
Sincere Thanks
Mackka :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks guys,

I love the idea of teaching the kids to "fish" and feed themselves.

With 4 girls its interesting to work with all of them, I am blessed to be able to do that, even in some small way.
As you guys know, kids are all different, Miss 9yrs is the shyest but has no comprehension of fear of outcomes.
This is an effort to bring her out of the shell also, dealing with an adult world.
Already her confidence has climbed.

Taught her to sweep her trading account too, just in case there are any issues with her EFTPOS provider. ;)
Internet Banking next week. :D

I want Miss 9yrs to get into the Childrens Hospital to do a charity hand out of Dogs, but that will likely be after her Webpage
and Business Name Reg is up and running, a few more Dog stands and after her I-Pad is in hand.
She needs to get that 'reward', and is not far from it (grand parent and birthday gifts in the mix too).

Miss 9 is wonderful with our 3yr old, patient and calming, a good educator, Miss 3 and Miss 9 battle each other on older
DS game machine Mario Bros - it is awesome to watch.

LOL, I forgot, with all this, Miss 3yrs has been watching too, and she wants to do a sausage stand !
I told her a resounding YES, WHY NOT.
We have all the knowledge now, a couple of hours work and everything in place to do it - legally (yes, sad but true)
just need to find a venue for her, got one in mind just need to check it out. ;)

I have great kids. :inlove:

Father of the Year ?
Sounds nice, but dont know if it is me, too grumpy.

:)

Geez mate I hope psychologically it wasn't overdone. Great job worrying about their future and being proud of them but I hope you would be just as proud if they only wanted to do it simply as well being 9 or under can be more fun and free will from the heart later on than the head space of what has to be done.
Just throwing another perspective out there not saying one is better than the other from a parent perspective.
Some psychologists are paid by government to teach people what should be thought (usually with group coercion).
Some psychologists are paid privately to teach how people feel (generally not western practice).
Just consider their agender and what advice can be taken positively for you is all that matters.
GREAT kids by the sound of it that would follow you and kato to the ends of the earth.

MY FEE $30000 per/hr :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm sure miss 9 can afford it by that time. :(

madtuna said:
I steered mine into contract killing. Much better money than hotdogs and nobody suspects the kid did it :Y:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My youngest is in year 11, age 16yrs starts training at wollies part time next week.
Her elder sister is a shift superviser at our local woolies and her brother works at BWS (woolies bottle shop) both been working there for a few years now.

It lifted a lot of financial responsibility off of our shoulders during their studies to have them both working part time and earning their own money.
Daughter has finished a graphics design course and the son has completed 3 years of a Computer science degree.
Both have taken time off to travel train and compete overseas ,but always had work at wollies when ever they were home and needed to work.
Judo plus over seas training competing has given them both a great work ethic.

The elder two when they started working had to save their pay into accounts that I helped them open years ago and I still have access to on my internet banking.
Over the years it has been a great way to monitor their spending and also a great way to teach them to Budget and handle their finances. Lots of ups and downs but always forward progress over the years.

We never asked them to pay room and board but they are expected to pay their way in just about everything else ,which they do.
When we have been overseas they had to buy groceries and work together doing it.
They also have to look after the cars they drive and pay their own fuel and maintenance.
Son now rides a motor bike he bought himself , he says its a cheaper comute to work and to get around on.
If he goes anywhare such as Sydney , he catches the train.

The goal over the next few years is to get them to save and invest some of their savings into buying an affordable property, probably a piece of residential land or a rental property somewhere.
The son has been a company director and co signitory on ASIC and with the company comsec account (share trading) for the last 18 months.
Im trying to intrduce him to the running of the company little by little.
I have put him in charge of one of our rental properties recently , so if the property manager has an issue, he has to work with them to find the solutions. Eventually I Want him and his sister to take over things, so the digger and I can spend more time away, traveling here and on our farm overseas.

What you are doing with your young miss is awesome GH, its an important lesson I think.
Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work :perfect:

Top job GH :perfect: :clap: :power: I'm sure all your girls will fare well as confident people now and later in life :Y: :heart:

As for being a grumpy Dad you're not alone :Y: I wasn't always grumpy not that I saw it that way but I'm told I was and still am :lol: :beer:

Our two did a lot of things and had chores too boot. Some were at NO pay as part of sharing the load - washing dishes etc. etc. But other things such as washing the car etc was a paid job.

Once they did start some part time work; they had super accounts. Thus at tax time we tried to top up their Super and that way get the Government bonus.

They always though that was good value, but a bit hard to explain it would be many years b4 they could get access. But it all helped them to understand saving and that some savings are about the long term and not instant gratification.

Problem today is that they will not buy if they do not have the $$$ The used Debit cards at first and thus could only spend what they had. And then it did take a while to show them how to use a credit card with a 40 or 50 day no interest such that they could buy on a credit card and pay at the end of the month and incur NO INTEREST.

It is not easy teaching good money management, when so many others are just given $ with no outcomes and have teh latest and greatest.

The other thing that earning and paying for their own items - Tablets - Phones etc. did was that they took so much more care and respect for NOT only their own items but OURS :) You could see them understanding that Mum and Dad had to work and save and go without to get what we may have needed. They learnt to respect that others also had to work to get ahead.

Some said we were too hard but I strongly believe that giving the little shits too much because I did it tough as a kid just fails to teach them respect amongst many other things.

Well done Greenhornet_au you supported and assisted but also showed that if they work for it, some things are possible but that is also a risk. Ya can only live off left over hot dogs for so many days and costs more for a freezer to store.

madtuna said:
I steered mine into contract killing. Much better money than hotdogs and nobody suspects the kid did it :Y:

This is my Kato when she was 8 years old.

Contract killer hey ? Hmmm... She actually is a good shooter, not hunted yet... :eek:

1572579929_mp5.jpg

:lol:

She wanted to take it home too.
Airforce wouldnt let her though :rolleyes:

Anolphart said:
Great story GH, although I am concerned that you didn't address the WH&S concerns highlighted by Bunnings whether to put the onions on top or below the snags.

Well done!

LOL, yes she did address that, the onion is either raw diced or cooked sweet, over the cheese but under the diced pickles, covered with sauce, mustard and mayo.

The tray is for the "fallout", not to hold the roll. LOL

You could put one of these together, and it could be bland or badly mixed - and lose to one of her dogs.
Then there is the special sauce.....

:lol:

Gem in I said:
Geez mate I hope psychologically it wasn't overdone. Great job worrying about their future and being proud of them but I hope you would be just as proud if they only wanted to do it simply as well being 9 or under can be more fun and free will from the heart later on than the head space of what has to be done.
Just throwing another perspective out there not saying one is better than the other from a parent perspective.
Some psychologists are paid by government to teach people what should be thought (usually with group coercion).
Some psychologists are paid privately to teach how people feel (generally not western practice).
Just consider their agender and what advice can be taken positively for you is all that matters.
GREAT kids by the sound of it that would follow you and kato to the ends of the earth.

MY FEE $30000 per/hr :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm sure miss 9 can afford it by that time. :(

I thought it was over the top too, but Health Dept has to be obeyed with food selling, or you could be in deep shit.

The business discussions were initiated by her, she has wanted to sell bikes she fixes and other things for a few years now,
so being that way inclined she has been like a vacuum cleaner, asking all sorts of things.

Kato is my eldest daughter of 4x - 15yrs, 10, 9, 3yrs all girls :8

:inlove:

Oops sorry about kato misunderstanding mate :argh: not sure about the health dept. ref: oh well must of been a post I missed.
Totally agree BUILD OUR KIDS. Just for the record ours had a variation of silver spoons with just as much variation served to them :lol: :lol:
and challengers are just that no matter what we don't want for them but wish you all the forwardness in the world

Latest posts