Teuna oallen or Windeyer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day JML,

Communication mate... We could have told you the first 50m upstream has been flogged to death. Those tree roots 20m below the crossing is where a guy found a couple of small nuggets ( one just on a gram) during the outing, and would have been a better place to impress the missus. You should have got flakes in every pan. Guess it's a bit late now for the info...but before the next trip to impress throw the question out there.

Unfortunately your hunt for " White Gold " will end at Michael Hill Jewelers when you need to get that wedding band. White Gold is an alloy of gold and nickel, (sometimes containing palladium or zinc). Advice...Don't base your wedding plans on one outing alone....you need at least TWO to make such an important decision,,lol...better luck on the next trip mate...Cheers Wan :)

Thanks Wal,
I must say I was surprised even late on a Sunday how many people were around and it was clear from walking around that the place gets a real hammering even to the point where trees are so undermined (pardon the pun) that they are in danger of falling, as one up stream had as a result. Nevertheless, we enjoyed the short visit and I will be heading back soon with a more serious attitude.... and thanks for the advice re down stream. Mmm, I probably will need pre-martial advice as well :p
JML
Jeff

The trees on the creek got a real hammering from the last 2 big floods. We mainly fossick many ks upstream and have done so for over 40 years. What was a pleasant little "Brook" in the old days now looks like a war zone from the results of those floods (trees down everywhere). Amazing the power of a raging river. Same can be said for Grabben Gullen. That creek looks nothing like it's former glory. But to our advantage,the torrents have released a lot of its treasures. Cheers Wal. :)

Hi Wal,

Where on the Grabben... is a good spot to make a start? It is a little closer from Canberra than Tuena.

One of the better spots is at the reserve downstream of the bridge. Turn left after the bridge and call in to Owens (100m past the bridge) the track goes down to the creek about a few 100m from the house. Park here and spend most of your hunting downstream, look for Spinel concentrates as the sapphires will be amongst these....Cheers Wal. :)

Spinel are a shiny small black stone with the same specific gravity as Sapphires. They vary from "Rice grain" size to well over a cm. You won't miss them in your sieve as they stand out like the proverbials. Sapphires concentrate with these and if there's no spinels in your sieve then the chances are there's no Sapphires. Large Spinels are worth keeping and make some classy jewelery...Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts