Stawell Goldmine Ceases Operations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

See that the Stawell Goldmine has ceased operations - all workers arrived for work with the news advised to them on arrival. Advised to go home.

Hopefully the mine can hit some good pay over their slow period to kick it back off, would be a shame to see operations cease completely.

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/...bs-to-go-at-victoria-s-stawell-gold-mine.html

The plant will be kept running with Maintenance to ensure it can start immediately the moment it is ready - and geology testing will still be carried out - just no production

Yeah bit hard on some of those being so close to Xmas.

I have been following the mines operations over many years, interesting enough this statement was also released.

He said that the establishment of an underground particle laboratory researching dark matter deep in the gold mine was key part of that contribution.

Not sure if this statement referred to contributing to closing down / cease of operations - or this statement was more focused towards contributing to extra Job Developments.

Hopefully the Scientist's can get in and perform their studies/testing and then when it is finalized all Gold Production will commence sometime next year.

Anyone interested in the read - Just Google Search Stawell Mine Dark Matter - some interesting reading

there was word about 2 years ago that I herd that it will close this year or next year apparently they have some deal with nasa or some science thing that they want to use the underground workings for atoms or something not to clear on what its going to be used for someone may know.

Minelab Gold said:
Yeah bit hard on some of those being so close to Xmas.

I have been following the mines operations over many years, interesting enough this statement was also released.

He said that the establishment of an underground particle laboratory researching dark matter deep in the gold mine was key part of that contribution.

Not sure if this statement referred to contributing to closing down / cease of operations - or this statement was more focused towards contributing to extra Job Developments.

Hopefully the Scientist's can get in and perform their studies/testing and then when it is finalized all Gold Production will commence sometime next year.

Anyone interested in the read - Just Google Search Stawell Mine Dark Matter - some interesting reading

that's it dark matter they want to do research for space and something to do with the sun that's why its underground

Yeah thats right, the story is quite remarkable - the only place in the Southern Hemisphere capable at the moment to perform the testing of dark Matter is Stawell Goldmine because they are already below the required level needed. There are others in the race to dig exceptionally deep holes to do these tests - I guess thats why Stawell Mine has the advantage already at and beyond the depth.

If the tests work then they are talking Nobel Prize - it will advance science.

What they have is the Laboratory setup below the Basalt Layer which is quite thick - Stawell Goldmine was perfect due to the Large Basalt Covering - with this special Lab - to perform their tests in a perfect environment with reduced radiation levels the earth surface is no good. The Dark Matter gets pulled in by gravitational pull and as it goes through the earths crust the radiation filters through the Basalts and is a very low radiation level by the time it hits the underground Lab.

They will have a special crystal setup in this lab and when the dark matter filters and hits the lab or the special crystal - all they will be looking for is if the Dark Matter will light the crystal.

Pretty amazing really.

Its amazing how a mine can produce 32,000oz but still not profitable to keep operations running, I guess wages, overheads running expenses etc etc must be more than $100,000 per week - that calculates at todays gold price $49,293,760.00
In 2009 Stawell Gold Mines (SGM) produced more than 86,000 ounces of gold compared with just over 32,000 ounces this year, Hall explained.

This could be promising for the mine to re-open production
There have been some promising results during initial exploration of the Aurora B site, which is on the east flank of the existing Magdala mine. However, we need time to further our understanding of the potential on the east flank, Cole said.

Anyone gold detecting in Stawell Area - Make sure you have covered Big Hill as good as you can, because if this goes ahead - dont think you will be able to swing away.
It is our hope that the Big Hill open cut mine will be the next project to commence. We remain in consultation with the regulatory authorities to establish an assessment process for the project.

On the plus side they still have drilling in full force until late January for further exploration - lets hope for the town and all the workers and especially the history of the mine to continue, that some form of operations kick off again, and hopefully they hit some more potential pockets down underground.

Latest posts