Star Creek Coramba

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

The Wife and I took a drive up to Star Creek today and spent several hours hunting gold, I resisted the urge to dive straight into detecting and spent the first couple of hours panning several spots in the creek, did find 4 very small pieces but nothing like that well known YouTube video getting around. We found many targets, but unfortunately they were bullet shells, lots of small and some not so small iron at depth. But what intrigued us the most was the many shallow small pieces of folded up aluminium that we were both digging, almost as if someone had deliberately planted them :)

Although we came home almost empty handed we both enjoyed the outing and I also discovered that the Wife's Eureka Gold with its small coil is fantastic for pinpointing when the 5000 signals get saturated when there are several targets in a small area. The machines seem to complement each other well.

Question:- I have heard that small nuggets have been found at Stars Creek, but does any one know this for fact?

Cheers
Oldfella

Oldfella, I have gone to a place were someone cut up aluminium cans into small pieces and distributed them all over the place. This was just outside a lease boundary. Well it worked i got sick and tired of digging bits of aluminium and i got out of there. :)

Hey oldfella. Gold prospecting is a lot like fishing. If someone tells you they caught a bagfull at X then chances are they weren't at X. There is gold on the Orara gold fields but im yet to snag any great volume. A lot of the old mines in the area are reef, so not many locations hold nuggets, but they are locations that some locals keep to themselves. Gold is out there but you have to find it cause if others know its there they wont post it in youtube

Hi Rosco and orgone500,

Rosco - yeah, the aluminium was amusing at first but got old quickly and considering its in a state forest...

oregone500 - so true, that's why I put the feelers out on this forum, just to gauge others opinion about the area, and the fine gold that I found backs up what you said.

orgone500

Thanks for the pm, the 10 post rule stopped me from replying via pm. I don't use face book but will chase them up.

Cheers

Hi Oldfella I am at Glenreagh I have been trying my luck all around here for years with very little luck got most old mine on Gps (there are 100/s) have got a couple of very small bits at Claygully panning but nil with my 30-30 :)
Cheers

Hi godigger,
After many field trips I have come to the conclusion that the Coffs area is not Ideal for metal detecting, panning's Ok though.
Its a shame that we don't have any where close that's suitable for detecting.

Cheers

The star creek video on youtube is not star creek fyi.
I have detected nuggets within an hour of coffs and know a few others that also have done and do so regularly. One spot I have detected gold has been mentioned already in this thread.

On the other side of grafton rd from star creek you'll have better success in the creeks, and even better success if you head out around the tallewadjah area near glenreagh.

If you've seen the star creek vid then you've probably seen at least one or two of my vids already.

Oh yeah, at Star Ck there is a very decent bottle dump, and a LOT of trash. I have detected KGV silver in that area.

Thanks for the Info Ben78, what do you mean when you say "The star creek video on youtube is not star creek "

Cheers

It's not star creek. It's like saying you caught that 8kg snapper at 'split' along with every other big fish that gets caught ;)

Bump. Can anyone tell me exactly where star creek..I will be heading coramba way tomorrow in search of some gold...I'm not expecting anything. If anyone could tell of some locations would be appreciated. Will also be checking out king mine. Cheers

Latest posts