Southern Highlands NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm down to the Southern Highlands for a weekend organised by my dear wife. I thought I'd take the SDC2300 and have a swing whilst down there. We're staying in Canyonleigh, which seems to have no history of gold.

So I thought I'd look up the geology around there, and then compare it to the geology at some of NSW's main gold sites - Hill End/Sofala, Nundle, Tuena, Mongalowe etc.

There was a pattern of gold occurring in mostly Devonian rocks - 359-491million years old. That led me to focus upon some likely sites to explore...if I can find some Crown Land.

My workings are in the attached PDF...but just wondering if I've been a little basic and naive...obviously gold-bearing geology won't be everywhere that's "purple" (Devonian) on the maps...but have I narrowed down areas to search logically? (The bottom line: data pointed to the upper Wollondilly River.)

Many thanks for your advice.

Red

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/6734/1452850347_geology_analysis_canyonleigh_dc-red.pdf

G'day RG,

Bit late on a Friday night to be trying to get my head around this area. I study the 1:2500 scans. I use http://www.geoscience.gov.au... The sedimentary rocks ( SS and DUs ) are where I'd be looking. The map you have doesn't show fault lines on it, so its a bit hit and miss. For me it would be a recon mission to get my head around the area. Not sure of your knowledge of it all, but you need some sort of fracturing/fault to form the gold. I see that there is conglomerate as well. Conglomerate is good for gold, where I look any way.

Sorry for the inconclusive observation, But I gotta hit the sack.

Good luck mate.

Hi NeoGeo

Thanks so much for getting back so late on a Friday. A fantastic tip that I should have thought of...it's stepped things up a gear.

When you look at the map around Moss Vale/Canyonleigh...no faults lines to speak of...so where could the molten quartz and/or gold-bearing rock solidify?
1452916238_moss_vale-canyonleigh_geo_map.jpg

When you look at Sofala - it's riddled with fault lines...the most prominent being around Big Oakey...which is where the most gold was pulled:
1452916301_sofala_geo_map.jpg

Also, I'm not entirely certain which is the conglomorate (sedimentary?) rock in that top map...nowhere obvious to prospect is jumping out at me.

Thanks again, Neo...really brought things to another level.

Latest posts