So far from home!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Fox

Paul
Reaction score
Went out today for a quick swiff and found myself a Barber 1914 Quarter Dollar, mint mark D, ding was already :(
Thought it was a Half dollar for a while lol

1395300886_quarter_dollar_side_1.jpg

I also found $2, 1921 1/2 penny, 1963 3 pence and a 1940 6 pence.

Not a bad hour of detecting :)

SF

I have picked up a quarter also in past but even more amazing to me was not one but two chinese coins date back to an emporior that reigned in the 1700's. This was amazing to me because our recognised discover was cook and these coins were probably older than his discovery. found on goldfields in Victoria

dave14110 said:
I have picked up a quarter also in past but even more amazing to me was not one but two chinese coins date back to an emporior that reigned in the 1700's. This was amazing to me because our recognised discover was cook and these coins were probably older than his discovery. found on goldfields in Victoria

Now that's impressive!
Were they worth anything?

SF

apparently fairly common emperor reigned for about 65 years so lots of them & only worth about $2 each but still a prized find for me as they are the oldest coin I've found so far.

They say that when a family (Chinese) sponsored someone for a trip out here in the gold rush days they pulled out money to use that they had put aside for centuries.

Also found many pieces of chinese coins & some with extra holes put in them. As they weren't of much value they would punch some extra holes in & use as buttons on clothes, apparently buttons must of cost more.
Overs the years have found a lot of foreign coins depending on how many tourists visit the area.

Latest posts