Snake sightings, encounters and reminders.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't seen any all summer or autumn. They must be there somewhere but it has been a reasonably cool year - touch wood. That has been southern tablelands NSW. Usually see a couple in summer on our property.

Plenty of red bellied black snakes out and about in the Adelaide Hills. Actually saw a large specimen today sunning itself near a fire trail. The brown snakes appear less active however and haven't seen any since summer.

Anyone have any sightings of snakes in particular for the golden triangle in victoria also i feel the spiders will be out and about now and all the creepy crawlys. Again i do feel this summer will be heaven for mozzies.

this its the time of the year snakes are most active and are coming into the time fo the year too normally now is when we get the first reports of snake bites.

I pulled one out from under the ride-on mower in the GT a few weeks back when I went up to mow our weekender not far from Kingower. I tangled the blades near a fence that had been patched with chook wire. Without thinking I broke the golden rule and stuck my hand where I couldn't see it underneath.

I pulled hard on the wire, and as it unwound a snake came flying out with it! It was only about 20cm or so long but it came out thrashing and scared the bejesus out of me. From what I could tell as it took off into the thick grass along the fence line, it was either a juvenile brown or a Mitchell's Short-tailed snake. One potentially deadly, the other relatively harmless. I was wearing leather gloves but it was still a timely reminder to never stick your hands where you can't see them! I also always where my Double D gaitors when I'm mowing up there.

Very lucky up here, rarely see snakes during the day, but I'm sure they are there. We have all sorts of bad ones to, but I've only seen(not all while prospecting) death adders at night, a couple of western or northern browns, and a couple of king browns, one was beautiful to.
But we have taipan, and that's what worries me in the long grass. Never come accross one, but they are here. Maybe not in the gold areas.

Brown babies are out for sure, several people have mentioned to me in last 2 weeks, and had a standoff with one whilst using the whipper snipper only Sat before last.

If the browns are getting about then they will all be on the move.

davent said:
Very lucky up here, rarely see snakes during the day, but I'm sure they are there. We have all sorts of bad ones to, but I've only seen(not all while prospecting) death adders at night, a couple of western or northern browns, and a couple of king browns, one was beautiful to.
But we have taipan, and that's what worries me in the long grass. Never come accross one, but they are here. Maybe not in the gold areas.

You may be aware of these .... they also have proven protection against the "Taipan" .... known to have the longest fangs of all our deadly snakes .... tested with a Taipan "chew" bite and no venom penetrated through to skin level. A "chew" bite is much more dangerous that just a "strike" ..... I wouldn't want either in reality.

I've had a pair for over 6 years, only thing to give was the rubberised "under the shoe" strap (may have been replaced/modified on newer versions). They are standard issue as PPE for most councils down here.

Better to be safe than sorry (or dead).

https://snakeprotex.com/about-snakeprotex-gaiters/

Teemore said:
davent said:

You may be aware of these .... they also have proven protection against the "Taipan" .... known to have the longest fangs of all our deadly snakes .... tested with a Taipan "chew" bite and no venom penetrated through to skin level. A "chew" bite is much more dangerous that just a "strike" ..... I wouldn't want either in reality.

I've had a pair for over 6 years, only thing to give was the rubberised "under the shoe" strap (may have been replaced/modified on newer versions). They are standard issue as PPE for most councils down here.

Better to be safe than sorry (or dead).

https://snakeprotex.com/about-snakeprotex-gaiters/

I'm sure they're a good product, but really, not nessasary here. In much more danger of dehydration! Better off carrying more water, snakes are the very least of my worries.

The snakes are the least of my worries, the redback that i had my hand 2"from in theshed today and the mosquito,s that are evrywere i the gt at the moment are bigger worries. My mate got ross river in tarnagulla earlier this year.
Jim. :argh:

An old friend calls me slither. So here I am last Sunday slithering around. Reckon it was way too cool for my slithery mates to be out and about.

1637114160_20211114_152011.jpg

Latest posts