Snake sightings, encounters and reminders.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
Ran into this monster red belly today, took a few pics and a bit of video, thought it was an old motorbike Tyre at first. He would be 6 foot plus with a decent girth. Mostly the Redbellies are pretty docile by nature and this one was no different, he just wanted a different type of hunt in the same area! So all good prospectors take note whilst out and about the snakes have awoken and are beginning to move around. Here's the pic.
1408701842_img_20140822_195754.jpg

1408701929_img_20140822_195709.jpg

I think the best thing about red bellies is they're easily spotted in most cases, the same can't be said about brown snakes unfortunately.

I was on my hands and knees crawling up a bank during the week and had the "hang on its warming up" thought. I saw 5 Snakes prospecting last year its not a record I want to beat.

Geez mate you must have a better lens and a little more daring, I'm a bit more circumspect, I gave the one above about 15 feet of room, awesome picture Thanks for the share.

Nuggetino, I reckon you used a telephoto lens for that great close up on the black snake. If not then you are braver than most :)

Ian

Yeh was out for a touch of prospecting last week and noticed a few flies around whilst digging targets.

Its my telltale out bush......when I spot the first flies of the season, I know the snakes have awoken also!

G'day everyone, I was out at Grabben Gullen with my daughter today scratching around. We got there at 7.30am and the day fine and warm. Perfect Red Bellied Black Snake weather. We expected them to be out soaking up the sun and they were there in force.
In the space of 150 metres we had encountered 5 large, healthy specimens all around 5-6 feet. This season the numbers of snakes at Grabby have exploded. It's always had a reasonable population of blacks with a sprinkling of browns but this year the blacks are everywhere and they are big. Yes, they are passive and will avoid contact with humans but if you tread on one then you are in big trouble.
If you are thinking of visiting then be very aware and WATCH WHERE YOU WALK!
ALWAYS CARRY 2 PRESSURE BANDAGES and know how to use them.
DONT FOSSICK ALONE, a friend with you can save your life.
COMMUNICATION, a handheld UHF radio is good(Emergency channel 5) or mobile phone (Emergency dial 112). Tell someone where you are going and when you will be home.
DONT PANIC IF YOU ARE BITTEN, irrigate bite straight away, apply a pressure bandage working from just above the bite to the end of the limb and back up to the groin if a leg bite or armpit if hand or arm.
DONT TRY TO KILL A SNAKE, 95% of bites occur when trying to kill a snake.
SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION WITHOUT DELAY. Time is critical and remember what the snake looked like. This will help medical staff with the correct Antivenom.
I hope this helps as some people may go ill prepared and/or not know what to do if bitten.
1450942407_image.jpg

1450942440_image.jpg

Snake bite treatment.
http://www.healthdirect.gov.au/snake-bites

http://www.healthdirect.gov.au/snake-bites said:
First aid for snake bites
For all snake bites, provide emergency care including cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if needed. Call triple zero (000) for an ambulance. Apply a pressure immobilisation bandage and keep the person calm and as still as possible until medical help arrives.

Avoid washing the bite area because any venom left on the skin can help identify the snake.

DO NOT apply a tourniquet, cut the wound or attempt to suck the venom out.

Pressure immobilisation bandage
A pressure immobilisation bandage is recommended for anyone bitten by a venomous snake.

This involves firmly bandaging the area of the body involved, such as the arm or leg, and keeping the person calm and still until medical help arrives. If possible, mark the site of the bite on the bandage with a pen.

A guide to pressure immobilisation bandages can be found on the Australian Venom Research Unit (AVRU) website.

The point of the post was to make people aware of the large numbers of Red Bellied Black Snakes at Grabby and let them know what I carry with me in case of a bite and the precautions I take.
To irrigate a bite or not is probably irrelevant if you don't have pressure bandages with you and know how to apply them.
Also, it doesn't matter if you dial 000 or 112 on a mobile phone, you will connected to Emergency Services provided you have network coverage and at Grabby its nonexistent. A UHF radio is a better bet as a lot of us locals monitor it for bushfire alerts.
If my post helps someone avoid getting bitten or survive a bite then it's served its purpose.

Snake venom enters the Lymphatic system(fluid in the body)not the bloodstream.
Thats why compression bandages work so well....they restrict the flow of fluid under the skin,restricting the flow of venom.

Stoney60 said:
G'day everyone, I was out at Grabben Gullen with my daughter today scratching around. We got there at 7.30am and the day fine and warm. Perfect Red Bellied Black Snake weather. We expected them to be out soaking up the sun and they were there in force.
In the space of 150 metres we had encountered 5 large, healthy specimens all around 5-6 feet. This season the numbers of snakes at Grabby have exploded. It's always had a reasonable population of blacks with a sprinkling of browns but this year the blacks are everywhere and they are big. Yes, they are passive and will avoid contact with humans but if you tread on one then you are in big trouble.
If you are thinking of visiting then be very aware and WATCH WHERE YOU WALK!
ALWAYS CARRY 2 PRESSURE BANDAGES and know how to use them.
DONT FOSSICK ALONE, a friend with you can save your life.
COMMUNICATION, a handheld UHF radio is good(Emergency channel 5) or mobile phone (Emergency dial 112). Tell someone where you are going and when you will be home.
DONT PANIC IF YOU ARE BITTEN, irrigate bite straight away, apply a pressure bandage working from just above the bite to the end of the limb and back up to the groin if a leg bite or armpit if hand or arm.
DONT TRY TO KILL A SNAKE, 95% of bites occur when trying to kill a snake.
SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION WITHOUT DELAY. Time is critical and remember what the snake looked like. This will help medical staff with the correct Antivenom.
I hope this helps as some people may go ill prepared and/or not know what to do if bitten.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6409/1450942407_image.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6409/1450942440_image.jpg

that has some awesome color. i hate snakes but they do their job well.

I'll agree with Stoney that GG is just about the most snake infested spot I've ever been, they are litterally everywhere, even in yabby holes in the creek banks, I saw one slither into a yabby hole one day......

I like red bellies... rather have a few of those guys around eating brown snakes,tigers or taipans. They're pretty harmless really. Very timid , fairly slow and avoid confrontation. No confirmed deaths. Beautiful markings. I dont like when they swim over to your kayak and try climb in though.
Stay safe all :cool:

Latest posts