Snake sightings, encounters and reminders.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 days ago just barely missed stepping on a baby brown snake perhaps 10 inches long while out catching yabbies. Bloody lucky! Think I'll start wearing gum boots out there from now on. :argh:

Pre fires at least a couple a day- mostly blacks.
Post fires Ive seen two all summer, both large tigers. One I near stepped on- scared the life outa me, the other while I was sniping swam across the river only meters from me. Very capable swimmers.

No snakes but had a lone camel wander through my camp in the middle of the night that had a nose around. :) Leonora area

No camels but had a lone snake turn up in the bathroom the other day. Was just a python but the wife didn't know that and gave it a sharp whacking.

Nearly trod on a baby brown out yabbying the other week. Just river mud and no growth around. I didn't see it until it slithered away. Lucky that was.

Upside said:
No camels but had a lone snake turn up in the bathroom the other day. Was just a python but the wife didn't know that and gave it a sharp whacking.

Nearly trod on a baby brown out yabbying the other week. Just river mud and no growth around. I didn't see it until it slithered away. Lucky that was.

Well Upside the Upside for us Vic's is your not in Vic where VicGoldHunter is, there all pretty slow around here for the next 4 or 5 months weather depending.

Either way when their active we do find ourselves in circumstances where the little bastards make ya heart skip a beat or two from time to time, venomous or otherwise.

Stuff all snakes around here this summer. Was unusually cold though. The only snake I saw was a little one the Chickens ate. They must have thought, holy crap that's the biggest worm I have seen !
1619642217_screenshot_20210429_060635.jpg
This chicken is too old to lay any eggs now and half blind. But I think she still earns her keep.

Its pretty simple up here in QLD, I give away detecting in Oct as soon as the humidity and temp starts increasing and dont start again until the next year, after we get some cold nights after Easter.

Every year I try and push it and detect a bit longer or start earlier then I will find a snake or 2, as well as sandflies/mosquitos in the creeks.

Last year I stopped detecting after we had 2 snakes at home in 2w. A small taipan in the front garden & a larger red bellied black in the garage. 3 other snakes in yard this year, last one was 2w ago but was only a keelback eating a cane toad. Go keelback !

I was a bit careless the other night. I was detecting around an old camp during the day and picked up a couple of coins. A 1950 threepence and a 2c.

1619673648_coins.jpg

I didn't get the area finished so I ducked out after the football finished. I was just in my thongs because I was only 100m from camp and as I swung the Equinox I heard a scraping (might have been a hiss) and saw something move in the moonlight. As I was leaning over it it started to move again and slowly headed towards my feet and down an ant nest. It was only about 500-600mm long but about 25mm wide with a parallel body. I couldn't see the tail in the dark but I think it was almost certainly a death adder.

I'd worked out by that point that I should have had a headlamp and boots :lol:

Found a dead one in my driveway crossover 3 days ago , school kids were stopping and poking at it till some kids decided to take it home to show Mum and Dad. Neighbor said a huge python stopped midnight traffic crossing the road out side his place. Dogs barking and cars pulled over to get out for a squiz and annoy it while it was on its way somewhere. :/

Crossing the road just near Eildon reservoir one day was this little chap (tiger snake) going about his business,so I decided to turn him into a movie star,but my wife was a little nervous about it and was crying as she held the camera for the photo, Quick snap and he was on his way into the grass,(brave wife) I'm the camera shy one ;-)
A few years prior while diving for Abalone at Pt Hicks, I walked from our little fibro shed to put the coiled up hookah hoses in the boat and while half asleep bending over to pick up the first hose laying in the grass next to the other hoses, it moved away from my reaching out hands,!!!!!
And it kept moving thank god, that afternoon I wondered if the coiled up hookah hoses attracted it to lay there, who knows !
PS it was a red bellied black snake,common in that area at the time,
PPS Point Hicks was the first land Captain Cook saw of Australia after leaving New Zealand, and he named it after the man on his ship 'Endeavour' first spotted that point,Zachary Hicks
PPPS The other photo at the time of Pt Hicks was my 'Daughter' (Joanna) at the time , her mother ran across the track into Cann River one morning, unable to avoid her she was struck by our 4x4 driver and on inspection had passed away, something moving on her stomach caused me to pull out my future love interest that used to follow me everywhere ,
Walking down to the boat she would pause and sniff around and have a look about, I would call out to her 'Joanna' and she would run to me,I became her new 'Mum',
1620974613_joanna.jpg
down memory lane now,great memories!
Mondo198
1620974660_img_e6977.jpg

This year was the second least snake yr i have experienced. The last bushfire season I saw none at all. In fact I saw near zero lizards either. They were overloaded with smoke and went into safe mode. So I get that.
Saw this thread and waited.
But this gone summer I admit has puzzled me. I only saw 2 on our roads and not 1 in the bush. I usually see easy a dozen plus on the roads and at least 1 dozen where I go in the season.
This spring summer has been an odd one. The only non change has been seeing stumpies and goannas. No drop with those guys at all. Dragon numbers have been good too. But snakes have puzzled me with their absence.

JD3 said:
This year was the second least snake yr i have experienced. The last bushfire season I saw none at all. In fact I saw near zero lizards either. They were overloaded with smoke and went into safe mode. So I get that.
But this gone summer I admit has puzzled me. I only saw 2 on our roads and not 1 in the bush. I usually see easy a dozen plus on the roads and at least 1 dozen where I go in the season.
This spring summer has been an odd one. The only non change has been seeing stumpies and goannas. No drop with those guys at all. Dragon numbers have been good too. But snakes have puzzled me with their absence.

What region are you in JD3? Your profile doesn't show.

Moneybox said:
JD3 said:

What region are you in JD3? Your profile doesn't show.
Central Vic mate.

Mondo198 said:
Crossing the road just near Eildon reservoir one day was this little chap (tiger snake) going about his business,so I decided to turn him into a movie star,but my wife was a little nervous about it and was crying as she held the camera for the photo, Quick snap and he was on his way into the grass,(brave wife) I'm the camera shy one ;-)
A few years prior while diving for Abalone at Pt Hicks, I walked from our little fibro shed to put the coiled up hookah hoses in the boat and while half asleep bending over to pick up the first hose laying in the grass next to the other hoses, it moved away from my reaching out hands,!!!!!
And it kept moving thank god, that afternoon I wondered if the coiled up hookah hoses attracted it to lay there, who knows !
PS it was a red bellied black snake,common in that area at the time,
PPS Point Hicks was the first land Captain Cook saw of Australia after leaving New Zealand, and he named it after the man on his ship 'Endeavour' first spotted that point,Zachary Hicks
PPPS The other photo at the time of Pt Hicks was my 'Daughter' (Joanna) at the time , her mother ran across the track into Cann River one morning, unable to avoid her she was struck by our 4x4 driver and on inspection had passed away, something moving on her stomach caused me to pull out my future love interest that used to follow me everywhere ,
Walking down to the boat she would pause and sniff around and have a look about, I would call out to her 'Joanna' and she would run to me,I became her new 'Mum', https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/17617/1620974613_joanna.jpgdown memory lane now,great memories!
Mondo198https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/17617/1620974660_img_e6977.jpg
Better than an alien popping out of your chest.

I think in australia there wouldbe places where they get snakes in winter.

As with winter in victoria has anyone seen one in the winter months in vic

Ive seen a tiger poking around near the banks of the Eucumbene River when there where still patches of snow on the ground

Latest posts