Snake sightings, encounters and reminders.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time we go walking in the bush we always make a lot of noise to let them know what direction we are coming from so that they can move away and we can move ahead safely.

Jaros said:
Every time we go walking in the bush we always make a lot of noise to let them know what direction we are coming from so that they can move away and we can move ahead safely.

Not convinced myself about this strategy. Seen 2 in the scrap yard, plowed over one while discing, and had a brown pass between me and a pushmower.

Seen a couple baled in hay before.

I find as soon as late october early november comes along and the weathers warming up plus the growth of vegetation too from the moist damp winter then they start to be on the move and alot too be found around the traps at this time.

More and more are found on the suburban fringe alot more too (due to a food sources left by metro people hence the mice and things that snakes eat) and anywhere theres like a water around like a dam,creek or even some puddles too.

I think now thats it starting to cool off too in march there maybe a chance to see one too.

To be honest its been a very cooler then normal summer in melbourne.

I gold detect in the GT im always aware of snakes and etc..... too so i am carefull around logs rocks etc.....

I generally detect if the ground is clear too and not on leave dups and litter as snakes love it under the leaves and bark that are at the base of the trees namely iron bark trees are known for its bark and leaves on the ground.

So far no snakes sighted ever detecting but ive been bitten by the odd bull ant not nice and of course the mossies and march flys they all itchy bites too and flare up for me anyway. I have seen a few lizards though like the stumpy ones and the slinky ones too.

The animals that concern me while out bush in vic gt are getting caught up in spiders webs and spiders in general, mossies,march flys and bull ants when digging they explode out of the ground if you are on a not noticeable nest. Also wild dogs too are a concern they can get nasty and come up and attack you.

I still are fearful of snakes too.

yellowmellow said:
I find as soon as late october early november comes along and the weathers warming up plus the growth of vegetation too from the moist damp winter then they start to be on the move and alot too be found around the traps at this time.

More and more are found on the suburban fringe alot more too (due to a food sources left by metro people hence the mice and things that snakes eat) and anywhere theres like a water around like a dam,creek or even some puddles too.

I think now thats it starting to cool off too in march there maybe a chance to see one too.

To be honest its been a very cooler then normal summer in melbourne.

I gold detect in the GT im always aware of snakes and etc..... too so i am carefull around logs rocks etc.....

I generally detect if the ground is clear too and not on leave dups and litter as snakes love it under the leaves and bark that are at the base of the trees namely iron bark trees are known for its bark and leaves on the ground.

So far no snakes sighted ever detecting but ive been bitten by the odd bull ant not nice and of course the mossies and march flys they all itchy bites too and flare up for me anyway. I have seen a few lizards though like the stumpy ones and the slinky ones too.

The animals that concern me while out bush in vic gt are getting caught up in spiders webs and spiders in general, mossies,march flys and bull ants when digging they explode out of the ground if you are on a not noticeable nest. Also wild dogs too are a concern they can get nasty and come up and attack you.

I still are fearful of snakes too.

We camped at Howard Springs Caravan Park in 2007 and unfortunately on top of an ants nest. We moved 2 sites west and spread 2 containers of ant sand around the camper trailer and all was good. Not a great Park i must admit.

Snakes are deaf
Although they lack eardrums, snakes possess inner ears which are able to pick up not only ground-borne vibrations but low frequency airborne sounds.

Have not been prospecting this summer, but seen a lot of snakes at work, including three that have taken up residence at one of work sites.
I see them sun baking a lot. They are aware of me and look for me before coming out of there hiding places. Almost stepped on one of them
a few weeks back. :eek:

No Browns here at home (NE Vic) all summer, which is very unusual.

Came across small blacks on two occasions when walking to different fishing locations in the Mitta valley last week......wearing waders makes you feel pretty smug :)

Their absence here is not particularly surprising.....we've been sleeping with doonas most nights this "summer".....overnight temps for the last many weeks has been 5 - 10

Katabatic said:

Came across small blacks on two occasions when walking to different fishing locations in the Mitta valley last week......wearing waders makes you feel pretty smug :)

Their absence here is not particularly surprising.....we've been sleeping with doonas most nights this "summer".....overnight temps for the last many weeks has been 5 - 10

Last time I was up the Mitta Mitta had a very friendly black snake get quite close. I just bid him farewell & went the opposite direction.

Haven't seen any out bush detecting, but I did see 1 last trip in January just as we were coming into Wedderburn. It was heading across the road. Only about 50cm long, I didn't get a real good look at it to I.d it, but it was a dark colour. I watched it continue on its way across the road in the rear view mirror. Lucky wriggle stick that 1, as it was pretty much right in front of me when I spotted it.

Katabatic said:

I saw a tiger snake lying in frost with a half grown rabbit halfway down its throat in the Kiewa valley.

I can just picture you smuggly walking through snakes with your waders on and walking into the water and discover youve got fang holes :lol:

Thomo said:
I saw a tiger snake lying in frost with a half grown rabbit halfway down its throat in the Kiewa valley.

I can just picture you smuggly walking through snakes with your waders on and walking into the water and discover youve got fang holes :lol:

Don't worry - if something bit my waders, they'd be well and truly wet inside long before I got into the water :)

Katabatic said:

I havent seen one in the bush this year either. The ones I see dont worry me too much. Its the ones I dont see that are a concern. Couple of months ago I was just coming back down the creek in the Kayak to put in at little camp site I launched from when the couple sitting with their feet in the water waved. I thought they were just being freindly. Turned out a small brown had just swum across the creek in front of me. :8 I didnt see it as the sun was reflecting off the water.

1614237393_152762072_4075497899167119_3401475759095311875_n.jpg

yellowmellow said:

... had a brown at the house this year mid September, not much since. Buddy up the road says he's not had many snakes this year either. All signs indicate the 10~11 year cycle is turning, how that effects snakes I dunno but it does mean we are in for good seasonal rains & cold winters for the next few years.

an ol' farmer in the area had over 20 browns in a year :argh:

went for a morning shot a few Saturdays ago, saw 3 blacks in the space of 20 mins

and for those who think snakes only come out in daylight when its hot, think again! Last year I needed to go up the shed after dinner, it was dark, had shorts and thongs on... there's no lights between the house and shed. Got half way to the shed and for some reason I thought I'd better go back and grab a torch, so went back grabbed one and went back up towards the shed. Right where I decided to turn back to grab the torch was a brown ;)

Latest posts